A Tribute To Kevin

Tooj

I would keep Harper, Bassong and Taylor. There is a good chance we can keep these three. The rest will either want away or we'll get them out due to silly wages.

I'll be very surprised if we manage to convince to Bassong to stay.

That's if we even bother to try.

Edited by nufc4ever

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if Ashley has backed him as much as he backed Kinnear and especially Shearer

He backed Kinnear and Shearer more than Keegan?

Shearer certainly (Wise was sent packing), but yes I think on balance he gave Kinnear more authority (or allowed Kinnear to take more authority) than Keegan.

By all accounts Wise was going anyway, Shearer only got them to announce it earlier.

I think Kinnear spouted a load of bollocks, got fuck all to spend and had 2 of his best players sold from under him.

Well if you're right (Given and Zog? You think they didn't want to go?) the we are going to have a torrid time in the Championship, if Ashley hasn't learnt his lessons, and won't/can't employ a quality manager and then back him.

They wanted to go. But Kinnear said repeatedly he didn't want them to. Once they did, they should have been replaced.

Yeah but that's been the story of this season, would they have wanted to go under a genuine Keegan regime in the first place? And if they did who would have made the better choices for replacements out of Keegan, Kinnear, Wise, Lambrusco(?!?), Ashley's daughter and even Shearer?

I'm not sure I get your point? How does that point support the argument that Ashley learned a lesson and supported later managers more than Keegan? It's the story of our season....and the only constant through it all has been Ashley/Llambias.

It's clear MA has been trying to sell the club for quite sometime, hence his utter lack of professionalism and management regarding day to day football matters (finance worries aside).

I would keep Harper, Bassong and Taylor. There is a good chance we can keep these three. The rest will either want away or we'll get them out due to silly wages.

Still has 2yrs on his contract iirc. I would try and get him to give us one more season and let him go if we don't get back up sort of thing.

He's done more for our club, our city, than anyone else in my (or any of our?) lifetime.

Agree totally. I can't believe any of the fans who were around for his fist time as manager (And definitely those who suffered all the shite before him) can think he's anything other than a legend here. No one man has ever made the fans of this city so happy and proud of their club as he did, giving us so much enjoyment, belief and hope along the way and lets not forget saving us from falling into division 3 and possibly going out of existence. And that's not even thinking about his time here as a player!

Is exactly how I feel. That Viva La Keegan video 2J did always brings a lump to my throat, I'e never felt so excited or entusiastic about football as I did when Kevin Keegan stepped through our doors - anyone who says differently just isn't a true fan of Newcastle United if they say otherwise.

Bollocks. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but to suggest you are not a fan of the club if you don't hero-worship Keegan is bullshit imo. For the record I had grave doubts about Keegan's return and his motives, doubts that still remain despite Ashley clearly being a prick. Your suggestion that that somehow makes me less entitled to support our club than yourself is pretty obnoxious tbh.

Yep.

We're all going to feel differently about the same situation because we all have different life experiences. I don't think there are many here who still feel that Ashley "running" our club is a good thing but I guess there are still those who feel for whatever reason that he's doing a good job... <_< I'm not going to say anything as childish as "you're not a propa fan then :( "

My love is first and foremost for the club and while I hold Ashley accountable for 95% of the shit we're in, anyone who's walked out on our CLUB this year has put themselves first. That's just a fact. We're no better off for ANYONE who's left this year, so regardless of the vast majority of blame being down to the fat man, consequent actions by others have ALSO contributed to our downfall.

Still has 2yrs on his contract iirc. I would try and get him to give us one more season and let him go if we don't get back up sort of thing.

Depends on what kind of money he's getting I guess. I've no doubt Shearer will try convince him but if a decent Premier League team offers him a better deal I can't see him sticking around.

Edited by nufc4ever

He's done more for our club, our city, than anyone else in my (or any of our?) lifetime.

Agree totally. I can't believe any of the fans who were around for his fist time as manager (And definitely those who suffered all the shite before him) can think he's anything other than a legend here. No one man has ever made the fans of this city so happy and proud of their club as he did, giving us so much enjoyment, belief and hope along the way and lets not forget saving us from falling into division 3 and possibly going out of existence. And that's not even thinking about his time here as a player!

Is exactly how I feel. That Viva La Keegan video 2J did always brings a lump to my throat, I'e never felt so excited or entusiastic about football as I did when Kevin Keegan stepped through our doors - anyone who says differently just isn't a true fan of Newcastle United if they say otherwise.

Bollocks. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but to suggest you are not a fan of the club if you don't hero-worship Keegan is bullshit imo. For the record I had grave doubts about Keegan's return and his motives, doubts that still remain despite Ashley clearly being a prick. Your suggestion that that somehow makes me less entitled to support our club than yourself is pretty obnoxious tbh.

I can live with that, I guess you know where you sit in my eyes then. There was always going to be concerns about Keegan returning but I'd far more trust being under his stewardship than pretty much most managers I can think of, life was good as a Newcastle fan both times when Keegan was manager because I always looked forward to every match. A true fan would understand Keegan's worth imo.

We're no better off for ANYONE who's left this year.

Wise? <_<

:(

But he was doing such a good....

Yeah, of course apart from him. :blush::) There may be some random nutritionist from the Allardyce era too I forgot about too.... :(

I can live with that, I guess you know where you sit in my eyes then. There was always going to be concerns about Keegan returning but I'd far more trust being under his stewardship than pretty much most managers I can think of, life was good as a Newcastle fan both times when Keegan was manager because I always looked forward to every match. A true fan would understand Keegan's worth imo.

A true fan would have a geet Pedro tattoo on his arse though. <_<

Cheers for judging me like that for having a difference of opinion mate. Like I said, I'd never knock what Keegan did previously for the club - twice over. He was the most inspirational person I've ever met. But for me he had lost his passion in his second stint as manager, it was never going to work regardless of Ashley imo. There was just something missing, his love of football and Newcastle seemed to be gone imo. I can't think of one good example where a manager has returned to a club and had any success either for that matter, never mind.

If we keep the players that are on daft wages, we should come back up imo. I know they're shit but someone like Duff might find a new lease of life against a full back he can beat. It's a huge gamble though cos if you maintain that wage bill and fall short, it'll be coytains!

I'd sooner get shot and start again.

This post seems a bit contradictory. Surely promotion as soon as possible should be the priority? Regardless, the reality is we will lose the better players and be stuck with the shit ones we can't shift.

Keeping the current lot fixes nothing though. We get promoted with the same shit and the same crippling wage bill, or we fail and are in financial ruin.

I want to come straight back up but the prospect of having a clearout is quite a refreshing one. We should be more than capable of poaching decent youngsters and up-and-comers with a name like Shearer in charge.

This

I want to lance the boil not put a stick plaster on it.

In one form or another the rot has been at Newcastle for many years. I would rather spend a few years clearing out, re-building and letting Shearer learn his trade than hoping for a quick bounce back with the same shower of shit.

The club won't survive years in the wilderness though mate. Every year your out the PL the harder it gets to build the momentum to get back apparently (Chez??).

Shearer certainly (Wise was sent packing), but yes I think on balance he gave Kinnear more authority (or allowed Kinnear to take more authority) than Keegan.

By all accounts Wise was going anyway, Shearer only got them to announce it earlier.

I think Kinnear spouted a load of bollocks, got fuck all to spend and had 2 of his best players sold from under him.

Well if you're right (Given and Zog? You think they didn't want to go?) the we are going to have a torrid time in the Championship, if Ashley hasn't learnt his lessons, and won't/can't employ a quality manager and then back him.

They wanted to go. But Kinnear said repeatedly he didn't want them to. Once they did, they should have been replaced.

Yeah but that's been the story of this season, would they have wanted to go under a genuine Keegan regime in the first place? And if they did who would have made the better choices for replacements out of Keegan, Kinnear, Wise, Lambrusco(?!?), Ashley's daughter and even Shearer?

I'm not sure I get your point? How does that point support the argument that Ashley learned a lesson and supported later managers more than Keegan? It's the story of our season....and the only constant through it all has been Ashley/Llambias.

That he's backed later managers more, not that necessarily the right choices have been made, or the best things done, or even that all lessons have been learnt.

Although now it must only really be Llambias that Shearer would have to butt heads with, as Ashley probably isn't particularly involved (which is part of the problem).

I've always found the lack of respect from some for Keegan on here, at the games and N-O etc absolutely disgraceful.

All Ashley had to do was apologise.

His apologist wouldn't let him. <_<

Armchair Pundit, you've got a fucking cheek telling Renton that he's not a true fan in your eyes. This is a bloke that pays his money to watch this team every year while you sit at home and never attend. And yet you feel qualified telling people what the true definition of a Newcastle fan is.

Armchair Pundit, you've got a fucking cheek telling Renton that he's not a true fan in your eyes. This is a bloke that pays his money to watch this team every year while you sit at home and never attend. And yet you feel qualified telling people what the true definition of a Newcastle fan is.

While I understand where you're coming from, that's just another version of the same argument tbh.

There are only 50 thousand people who's opinion is valid then?

I'm in the supporters club!! <_< I'm going to find all the people in France who've been to fewer games than me and don't have a keyfob and tell them they're all fairweather!!!!

If we keep the players that are on daft wages, we should come back up imo. I know they're shit but someone like Duff might find a new lease of life against a full back he can beat. It's a huge gamble though cos if you maintain that wage bill and fall short, it'll be coytains!

I'd sooner get shot and start again.

This post seems a bit contradictory. Surely promotion as soon as possible should be the priority? Regardless, the reality is we will lose the better players and be stuck with the shit ones we can't shift.

Keeping the current lot fixes nothing though. We get promoted with the same shit and the same crippling wage bill, or we fail and are in financial ruin.

I want to come straight back up but the prospect of having a clearout is quite a refreshing one. We should be more than capable of poaching decent youngsters and up-and-comers with a name like Shearer in charge.

I'd agree with this. I think someone on here said that one of the few positives of going down would be losing the gravy train mentality to the club. Out goes the overpaid, finished players and in come a load of hungry young players who want to play football. Like you say, I think Shearer's name could very well be a pull factor since his legend is more well-known around the players today. Tell you what though, if we buy well enough, we could easily come straight back up and there'd probably be question marks over whether we were even ready to survive again. It could turn into a horrible cycle. We could become West Brom.

I sure do, still, I know when I'm right - regardless of whether I'm at the match or not <_<

Asprilla, you can try and play the smart arse if you like, but a bloke who never attends a Newcastle game telling a bloke that goes all the time that he'll never be a true fan in his eyes is fucking laughable. However you look at it.

Asprilla, you can try and play the smart arse if you like, but a bloke who never attends a Newcastle game telling a bloke that goes all the time that he'll never be a true fan in his eyes is fucking laughable. However you look at it.

Getting away from the 'Soopa-fan' debate, Kev was fooking awesome though <_<

That he's backed later managers more, not that necessarily the right choices have been made, or the best things done, or even that all lessons have been learnt.

Although now it must only really be Llambias that Shearer would have to butt heads with, as Ashley probably isn't particularly involved (which is part of the problem).

I don't see how your previous post relates to that bold bit.

Llambias has been the most public front man for a host of Ashley appointments behind the scenes. David Williamson, Steve Hayward, Jeff Vetere and John Irving are all his cronies too. I don't see why they'd be any more supportive of Shearer than they were of Keegan.

Llambias has been the most public front man for a host of Ashley appointments behind the scenes. David Williamson, Steve Hayward, Jeff Vetere and John Irving are all his cronies too. I don't see why they'd be any more supportive of Shearer than they were of Keegan.

Contradictions are your speciality after all. <_<

Undermined managers less? Would that do it for you? <_<