Short Buys Out Sunderland

Christmas Tree

Sunderland have confirmed that majority shareholder Ellis Short is to assume full control of the club.

The American businessman bought a 30 per cent holding in the Black Cats after taking over from the Ireland-based Drumaville consortium last year.

There has been speculation for some time that he could be ready to invest more heavily, although an announcement was delayed as Sunderland battled to avoid relegation.

Ricky Sbragia managed to keep the club in the top flight despite suffering defeat to Chelsea on the final day of the season.

Sunderland have now confirmed that Short is to take over at the Stadium of Light and chairman Niall Quinn is delighted with the development.

New era

"This is fantastic news for the club," Quinn told the club's official website.

"Ellis has already shown tremendous commitment to date but today's announcement opens the door for a new era at the Stadium of Light."

Quinn added that Sunderland would not have been able to keep Kenwyne Jones in the winter had it not been for Short, with Tottenham making a big-money offer for the striker.

He said: "Ellis' involvement to date also enabled us to turn down a club record bid of up to £20million for Kenwyne Jones from Tottenham Hotspur in the January transfer window."

:lol:

Keeping him might have been the difference that kept them up though.

I think it's more the fact that Kenwyne Jones is valued at £20mil (by spuds)..

Guest alex
Keeping him might have been the difference that kept them up though.

I think it's more the fact that Kenwyne Jones is valued at £20mil (by spuds)..

Aye, but I was making a different point.

I think Cisse might be a big loss to them but if they have let him go they might have known this take over was coming and could have other things planned.

No longer talking to Bruce anyway...

• 2 weeks later...
Most of the Sunderland fans I know think hes shit!

This is what I gathered from reading the SMBs.

bump. I think the way we let Cisse go was a bit harsh, could have let the lad know that we wernt going to take up the option to sign him early on. No doubt he is one of the most Athletic footballers ive seen and possess great speed, however his heading is dreadful and his finishing isnt the best either and can be lazy at times.

If this Short turned out to be their Ashley, I do believe I would laugh so hard, I'd disappear up my own arse .

I very much doubt that lol. He is a thin, american multi-billionaire and is giving Brucey Millions to spend. I need not mention what Mike Ashley is......... :aye:

So, since short became involved with the unwashed he's;

Seen off TWO managers.

Introduced £1per game season tickets.

Turned down £20m for an 8 goal a season striker.

I get a feeling he'll fit in well. Investment gone down from £200m to 'maybe up to £50m'

Seen off TWO managers.

I get a feeling he'll fit in well. Investment gone down from £200m to 'maybe up to £50m'

10 goals! he scored 10 not bad for two thirds of a prem season dont you agree?

Seen off TWO managers.

1. Roy Keane left, Sbragia resigned on his own accord as he knew a quality manager was needed to take the club further.

2. Whats wrong with that?

3. Turning down £20M for a player shows how much money and power we have. 20M for any one of your players and there gone.

4. *Cough* Championship *Cough*

Seen off TWO managers.

1. Roy Keane left, Sbragia resigned on his own accord as he knew a quality manager was needed to take the club further.

2. Whats wrong with that?

3. Turning down £20M for a player shows how much money and power we have. 20M for any one of your players and there gone.

4. It never was 200M, that was just reported in the press.

5. *Cough* Championship *Cough*

But hes the best they have now Cisse is gone and it proves hes more interested in his team than the money. Can we say the same about NUFC? Ashley took £5mil for Given FFS

very true, i know keepers are not valued as much as strikers, but Given is worth more than 5 Mil