Wimbledon

smoggeordie

Excellent match last night. Wawrinka was playing out of his skin and Murrey still kept plugging away.

I have more confidence in Murrey than I ever did in Henman. Henman lacked the cutting edge for me. Not enough bite. I dont care if Murrey's boring or miserable. He plays good tennis and his attitude is of a 'never-say-die' mould. He plays to win and it's those sorts of players who achieve. Hell, Sampras was cold, calculating, miserable and boring and the best of his generation by a mile.

The fact Murrey kept his head last night and kept Wawrinka at arms length shows just how much he's matured in the last 12 months.

Will he win it? Who knows. Is he in with a decent shout, hell yes.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always had a lot of time for Henman though. One of dying breed in that he was a genuine serve-volleyer. Shame his serve wasn't up to his volleying though as the latter was as good as anyone's in the last 10-15 years. Also unlucky to play in the same era as Sampras. Seems like a genuinely nice bloke as well. Shame about his fucking fans "Come on Tim!"

Always had a lot of time for Henman though. One of dying breed in that he was a genuine serve-volleyer. Shame his serve wasn't up to his volleying though as the latter was as good as anyone's in the last 10-15 years. Also unlucky to play in the same era as Sampras. Seems like a genuinely nice bloke as well. Shame about his fucking fans "Come on Tim!"

Totally agree. I liked Henman, but never felt he would win Wimbledon as there always seemed to be a few stronger contenders out there and as I say, lacked the edge. The country would have been pissed for a week if he'd won it like :o

Is it just me who thinks aces are terribly dull? I don't understand why the crowd gets so worked up about a decent ace, I mean surely there's something fundamentally flawed about a sport where you can win a point on a 40-shot rally then immediately lose the advantage just because your opponent can serve quickly. Then again, I suppose a scrappy goal from two yards out is worth the same as a Messi dribblefest.

Top bit of arguing against yourself there Meenzer :o

I think people like Aces so much because it's an example of the perfect serve, just like people like Freekicks. It's a superb technical strike, delivered with pace and (more often than not) a fair bit of swerve.

I agree. I liked Henman and if it wasnt for the rain when he had ivansevic on the ropes then he could well have won Wimbledon.

Totally agree. I liked Henman, but never felt he would win Wimbledon as there always seemed to be a few stronger contenders out there and as I say, lacked the edge. The country would have been pissed for a week if he'd won it like :o

Had a very good all-round game (which got him into the top 5 iirc) but never quite had a weapon in his armoury (like a really top class serve, for example) to win him a grand slam title (which is that 'edge' you're talking about).

I agree. I liked Henman and if it wasnt for the rain when he had ivansevic on the ropes then he could well have won Wimbledon.

Aye, that was chance although Rafter in the final would have been tough too.

Had a very good all-round game (which got him into the top 5 iirc) but never quite had a weapon in his armoury (like a really top class serve, for example) to win him a grand slam title (which is that 'edge' you're talking about).

Indeed, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Agree with the point about the rain and Ivanisevic. I'd forgotten about that. That one really could have gone his way ;)

How Testa Mora doing btw? Anyone know?

Nick will know, he used to knock about with her sometimes but he's in the Orkneys just now. I remember when she won a fair bit of money betting on that lass that looks like a bloke to win some tournament.

I just know she detests Murray and loves Nadal. I don't actually care how she is :o

Probably still on the run from HTT.

How Testa Mora doing btw? Anyone know?

Nick will know, he used to knock about with her sometimes but he's in the Orkneys just now. I remember when she won a fair bit of money betting on that lass that looks like a bloke to win some tournament.

I just know she detests Murray and loves Nadal. I don't actually care how she is :o

Probably still on the run from HTT.

*laughs*

Dinara Safina is a little bit scary....

Her tits are just wrong.

Looks too much like her brother. Btw, I was reading about him and he reckons over his career he's smashed about 700 racquets in anger at $200 a pop :o

I always felt a litle bit too working class to get into 'Henmania' properly. As you say he wasn't too bad but his fans were/are wankers.

At least with Murray you get the feeling the majority of people dislike him but begrudgingly follow him because he's the only decent Brit. You also get the feeling he's always one bad call away from grabbing a bottle of Buckfast and glassing the umpire.

Dinara Safina is a little bit scary....

Her tits are just wrong.

Looks too much like her brother. Btw, I was reading about him and he reckons over his career he's smashed about 700 racquets in anger at $200 a pop ;)

I wouldn't put it past him :o

I know fuck about tennis apart from Murray is a cunt, and this lass is going to be a BIG star...

http://www.redcafe.net/f8/breast-reduction...-player-252120/

On the basis that the above is your general opinion of anyone from outside a 5 mile radius of SJP I'd take that with a large pinch of salt.

As for the Romanian lass, well I'd say her chances of making it BIG look to be getting smaller as the year gets on :o

Always said the same. He was a good guy and unassuming and took the pressure of the whole of the countries tennis fans on him every single wimbledon and one of the best volleyers of a ball around. Like you say a tiny bit more on the serve could have really helped him. But without a freak like Sampras around he would have got 1 or 2 wimbledons i'm sure of it, but nobody could touch Sampras back then and sadly Wimbledon was Henman's only real shot at a slam i think.

Whereas Murray has yet to show if he can match Henman at Wimbledon (which i'm sure he will do and more) he is certainly a better allround talent and can compete at all 4 of the slams which Henman couldn't really do.

Pure class from Federer, showing nobody is unbreakable against him no matter how big the serve is. Going to take something special to stop him winning it this year if he continues like this!

I'm not going to get whipped up into the whole 'this could be our year' bollox, but Murrey just gave Ferrer his arse on a plate. Exactly what was needed going into his first semi at Wimbledon. A quicker game was a welcome relief after the previous match. Now, if Roddick and Hewitt could play a 4hr slog that would be nice :lol: