Fatty ballaty's

Happy Face

Obesity rates in the US have surged over the last year, a report shows.

The Trust for America's Health (TFAH) and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation found adult obesity rates rose in 23 of the 50 states, but fell in none.

In addition, the percentage of obese and overweight children is at or above 30% in 30 states.

The report warns widespread obesity is fuelling rates of chronic disease, and is responsible for a large, and growing chunk of domestic healthcare costs.

Obesity is linked to a range of health problems, including heart disease, stroke and type 2 diabetes.

BODY MASS INDEX

Calculated by dividing weight in kilograms by height in metres squared

Normal: 18.5 - 24.9

Overweight: 25 - 29.9

Obese: Above 30

Dr Jeff Levi, TFAH executive director, said: "Our health care costs have grown along with our waist lines.

"The obesity epidemic is a big contributor to the skyrocketing health care costs in the US.

"How are we going to compete with the rest of the world if our economy and workforce are weighed down by bad health?"

The US government has set a target of cutting obesity rates in all 50 states to 15% by next year.

However, the report said this target was certain to be missed.

Fattest state

For the fifth year in a row, Mississippi had the highest rate of adult obesity at 32.5%. Three other states - West Virginia, Alabama and Tennessee - also had adult obesity rates in excess of 30%.

In just one state - Colorado - was the adult obesity rate below 20%.

In 1991, no state had an adult obesity rate above 20%, and in 1980 the national average for adult obesity was 15%.

Mississippi also had the highest rate of obese and overweight children (ages 10 to 17) at 44.4%. Minnesota and Utah had the lowest rate at 23.1%.

Childhood obesity rates in the US have more than tripled since 1980.

The report warns that the current economic crisis could exacerbate the obesity epidemic by driving up food prices, particularly for nutritious foods.

In addition, it blames increased rates of depression, anxiety and stress for fuelling unhealthy living.

A recent analysis commissioned by TFAH found that the Baby Boomer generation has a higher rate of obesity compared with previous generations.

This suggests that the percentage of obese adults aged 65 and older could soon increase significantly.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8129184.stm

America wanna wean themselves off their Corn addiction.

Edited by Happy Face

Guest alex
Lynne Truss would be seething if she'd seen the thread title :lol:

It's just the start of a sentence that was supposed to end with...

...Fish!

;)

Yeah, yeah ;)

Lynne Truss would be seething if she'd seen the thread title ;)

It's just the start of a sentence that was supposed to end with...

...Fish!

;)

:lol:

Is Fish really fat or is this an insider thing? :lol:

Toon-Clique-tastic.

You need to have a special badge

Never met the bloke.

I'm sure he'll have given Gemmil some ginge abuse, Alex some bald abuse and Wacky some Ronnie Corbett syndrome stick though.

Banter innit.

Edited by Happy Face

Never met the bloke.

I'm sure he'll have given Gemmil some ginge abuse, Alex some bald abuse and Wacky some Ronnie Corbett syndrome stick though.

Banter innit.

I heard he was a fat fuck. :lol:

Edited by Park Life

Never met the bloke.

Banter innit.

;)

honestly? I was horrifically thin when I was a 18, then I turned up to a piss up after putting on a stack of weight because of Uni life, I was wearing a massive coat and looked like "a sofa" according to Gemmil. I've since lost that weight. The reason it's been rumbling on for so long is because I (like my moniker) can't help but bite.

Never met the bloke.

Banter innit.

;)

honestly? I was horrifically thin when I was a 18, then I turned up to a piss up after putting on a stack of weight because of Uni life, I was wearing a massive coat and looked like "a sofa" according to Gemmil. I've since lost that weight. The reason it's been rumbling on for so long is because I (like my moniker) can't help but bite.

You'll balloon when you reach your thirties. At least you can justifiably point to your sisters and say your family is genetically predisposed to be 'big boned'.

Never met the bloke.

Banter innit.

;)

You'll balloon when you reach your thirties. At least you can justifiably point to your sisters and say your family is genetically predisposed to be 'big boned'.

nah I eat healthier and exercise, I'll be fine. Plus with the support from friends like this shower of bastards on here, I'm sure there'll be motivation to stay off the chocolate fudge cake.

What's the drink that'll give you the least amount of calories, that isn't too girly, prohibitively expensive and/or going to get me twatted.

I reckon beer and cider have an huge impact on my calorie intake, if I could switch to something else I might find it easier to stay in shape...

any suggestions?

What's the drink that'll give you the least amount of calories, that isn't too girly, prohibitively expensive and/or going to get me twatted.

I reckon beer and cider have an huge impact on my calorie intake, if I could switch to something else I might find it easier to stay in shape...

any suggestions?

Any spirits served neat or with a diet mixer probably.

any suggestions?

Any spirits served neat or with a diet mixer probably.

Is it not a bit floral to request Vodka and diet leomande?

I wouldn't mind drinking Vodka straight, but would be concerned about getting shitted too often.

I believe a Vodka and Tonic would have the least amount of calories.

Would taste like shit though and is a bit gay.

It would have to be a Slimline tonic, and that's really gay.