NASA: Triumph and Tragedy

Lazarus

Good programme on BBC4 last night about Apollo XVII with Eugene Cernan (the mission commander and last man on the Moon).

That reminds me i've still got your DVD, will bring it with me in August.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By utilising the power of the crop-circles. :razz:

Those are done by their bots that have been here for 200,000 years in underground silos hence they're still using pictograms. :lol:

200,000 years of careful planning...... and then they met mel-gibson.jpg

Nothing could have prepared them for that. :razz:

By utilising the power of the crop-circles. :razz:

Those are done by their bots that have been here for 200,000 years in underground silos hence they're still using pictograms. :lol:

200,000 years of careful planning...... and then they met mel-gibson.jpg

Nothing could have prepared them for that. :razz:

It's the caveman look to make them feel comfortable.

Guest alex
Good programme on BBC4 last night about Apollo XVII with Eugene Cernan (the mission commander and last man on the Moon).

Have you watched it though?

He doesn't watch he observes.

Guest alex

He doesn't watch he observes.

They're synonyms in this instance.

Edited by alex

Not yet :lol:

Guest alex

Not yet :lol:

:razz: Thought not. Anyway, don't worry about it. Get it watched though.

Apollo 11 Moon landing: Neil Armstrong to skip 40th anniversary moonwalk party

Neil Armstrong, the first man to walk on the Moon, is reportedly going to skip a celebration of his achievement to mark the Apollo 11 mission's 40th anniversary.

By Our Foreign Staff

Published: 12:11PM BST 16 Jul 2009

Previous1 of 2 ImagesNext

Neil Armstrong has generally shunned publicity since his days as an astronaut Photo: AFP

The notoriously publicity-shy Armstrong will appear briefly at an event on Sunday, but will not appear in public on Monday, 40 years to the day since he set foot on the Moon.

The event at Nasa's headquarters in Washington will be attended by his fellow Apollo 11 astronaut Buzz Aldrin and one of the last men to walk on the Moon, Eugene Cernan.

All the lying must be getting to him. :D

Some incredible pictures from the Apollo 11 mission:

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/07/r..._apollo_11.html

In the "Visor" photo, Aldrin's shadow directs at the front of him, thou on his reflection it goes back. Pretty optically impossible, isn't it?

Posted by Felipe MÈndez July 16, 09 12:36 PM :D

He's talking rubbish 'thou'.

Anyway Jimbob, this is a quality book I just purchased. Photos picked by the astronauts themselves:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apollo-Through-Ast...7553&sr=1-2

Still reckon the moon landings are bollocks Parky??? :rolleyes:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LRO/mult...pollosites.html

I've never said we haven't put bits of metal on the moon, but there remains something fishy about Apollo 11 (men walking on the moon). We've put bits of metal on Mars and will soon on Europa, flinging bits of metal into space isn't really hard. <_<:)

Apollo 11 is the only moon landing I've ever questioned. But that's all because of the "by the end of this decade" promise Kennedy made. It may have been genuine but it could well have been staged just to ensure that deadline was met. All the other Apollo missions are definitely genuine IMO and ont he photo for Apollo 14, you can see the footpath created over to the instruments.

The only other event I've considered may be staged was the Apollo 13 explosion. The press at the time were critical, almost to the point of ridicule that NASA were continuing to travel to the moon at taxpayers expense. The public were getting 'bored' by all accounts now that the goal of reaching the moon had been achieved. Some claim the explosion on Apollo 13 was staged to re-ignite public interest in the programme making NASA would-be heroes.

Canny good how all the thousands of people who'd need to be on the conspiracy all kept quiet. Also canny funny how the same people who question the moon landings believe that astronaut who reckons aliens exist :rolleyes:

Edited by alex

Canny good how all the thousands of people who'd need to be on the conspiracy all kept quiet. Also canny funny how the same people who question the moon landings believe that astronaut who reckons aliens exist :rolleyes:

He was never there, so he'd know for sure. :)

Thousands?? :)

Apollo 11 is the only moon landing I've ever questioned. But that's all because of the "by the end of this decade" promise Kennedy made. It may have been genuine but it could well have been staged just to ensure that deadline was met. All the other Apollo missions are definitely genuine IMO and ont he photo for Apollo 14, you can see the footpath created over to the instruments.

The only other event I've considered may be staged was the Apollo 13 explosion. The press at the time were critical, almost to the point of ridicule that NASA were continuing to travel to the moon at taxpayers expense. The public were getting 'bored' by all accounts now that the goal of reaching the moon had been achieved. Some claim the explosion on Apollo 13 was staged to re-ignite public interest in the programme making NASA would-be heroes.

There's not a shred of real evidence to suggest any of it was faked though is there? The idea that the Apollo 13 incident was somehow faked, for the motives you've suggested, is frankly ludicrous, and again would require the complicity of hundreds of people. Have you seen the photographs of the damage to the service module?

I think there's something a bit sad about these conspiracy theories. Firstly, they demonstrate a complete lack of critical thinking from the conspiracy theorists, but secondly and more significantly, it's an insult to the people who risked their lives to make the Apollo missions a success imo.

The B2 stealth bomber is a good example of compartmentalized security. Until the first one was rolled out for public gaze in late 1989, a plane that had cost 30 billion $$$ had been kept completely secret for a decade. A lot more people worked on that (hundreds) than the few dozen or so it would have needed to shoot footage of the the fake Apollo 11 landing.

The B2 stealth bomber is a good example of compartmentalized security. Until the first one was rolled out for public gaze in late 1989, a plane that had cost 30 billion $$$ had been kept completely secret for a decade. A lot more people worked on that (hundreds) than the few dozen or so it would have needed to shoot footage of the the fake Apollo 11 landing.

Not really worth arguing about as there isn't a scrap of evidence for what you suggest but they're two totally different things mainly due to one being an aircraft developed in top secret and the other being a space programme that was literally being scrutinised by the world. As I alluded to though the actions of the Russians suggest they were pretty certain the US sent men to the moon. Not least as they gave up their attempts to send a man to the moon as soon as the Americans beat them to it.

Edited by alex

Not really worth arguing about as there isn't a scrap of evidence for what you suggest but they're two totally different things mainly due to one being an aircraft developed in top secret and the other being a space programme that was literally being scrutinised by the world. As I alluded to though the actions of the Russians suggest they were pretty certain the US sent men to the moon. Not least as they gave up their attempts to send a man to the moon as soon as the Americans beat them to it.

Just demonstrating secret keeping ain't hard.