NASA: Triumph and Tragedy

Lazarus

"The agency’s current Vision for Space Exploration will waste decades and hundreds of billions of dollars trying to reach the moon by 2020—a glorified rehash of what we did 40 years ago. Instead of a steppingstone to Mars, NASA’s current lunar plan is a detour. It will derail our Mars effort, siphoning off money and engineering talent for the next two decades." Aldrin

One man's opinion mind. And irrelevant if Helium 3 is economically viable.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The agency’s current Vision for Space Exploration will waste decades and hundreds of billions of dollars trying to reach the moon by 2020—a glorified rehash of what we did 40 years ago. Instead of a steppingstone to Mars, NASA’s current lunar plan is a detour. It will derail our Mars effort, siphoning off money and engineering talent for the next two decades." Aldrin

One man's opinion mind. And irrelevant if Helium 3 is economically viable.

Did you see the review of Aldrin's book in the Sunday Times? The excerpts made him sound like a right twat. Absolutely loves himself.

Don't suppose NASA are looking for the type of people who'd want to be on Big Brother though.

And they were the type of people in the space program in the 50's and 60's? <_<

Supposed to be going to see 'Moon' this weekend at the Tyneside.

I want a full review of that alex - every review ive read says its great.

Edited by Lazarus

Supposed to be going to see 'Moon' this weekend at the Tyneside.

I want a full review of that alex - every review ive read says its great.

I'll try to remain reasonably sober then!

Why do we celebrate the first man on the moon with such passion...and not the first man in space?

Did Yuri Gagarin and the Soviet Space Program get all this BBC sponsored fanfare for their 40th anniversary back in 2001?

I don't think I've seen a film or TV show on the subject.

I'd love to if anyone has any suggestions though.

Why do we celebrate the first man on the moon with such passion...and not the first man in space?

Did Yuri Gagarin and the Soviet Space Program get all this BBC sponsored fanfare for their 40th anniversary back in 2001?

I don't think I've seen a film or TV show on the subject.

I'd love to if anyone has any suggestions though.

I think it's possibly the lack of footage too as it was massive news all over the world at the time. I know what you're saying like but I don't think it's purely down to bias. Would be interesting as well, I agree. Watched '2001' last night btw. Dum! Dum! Dum! Dum! Dum! Dum! Dum!

Apollo 11 was a much greater technical achievement than Gargarin's mission and has much more elements to it. Gargarin went up in space by himself, orbitted the Earth a few times (much like the dogs before him), and came down, end of story. I can't see that making a terribly enthralling film or book really. Plus Earth orbit is entirely routine now, where as the Apollo missions are yet to be emulated.

Apollo 11 was a much greater technical achievement than Gargarin's mission and has much more elements to it. Gargarin went up in space by himself, orbitted the Earth a few times (much like the dogs before him), and came down, end of story. I can't see that making a terribly enthralling film or book really. Plus Earth orbit is entirely routine now, where as the Apollo missions are yet to be emulated.

Aye, there's obviously much more to Apollo. What I meant to say (and didn't explain very well) was that there's no cover up or whatever. Gargarin was a world-wide star when he achieved what he did but, as you say, there's not much of a story behind the actual first journey into space in the way there is with the trips to the Moon. Can't remember seeing any footage of the actual flight as it happens.

The Right Stuff is class.

The Right Stuff is class.

True. Love that film. Just bought the book as it happens which is also meant to be quality.

Jimbo, that looks absolutley brilliant! Its a shame I can't see anything like from my window. Where is that?

Also, speaking of nasa and stuff has anyone seen Capricorn one?

Isn't it the Devils peak, Devils hill or whatever from Close Encounters?

Devil's Tower. Or it looks like it. Real location anarl.

Incidentally this is a quality website for those sort of pics :

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html

I watched 'In The Shadow of the Moon' last night as well btw.

Cracking documentary that, Alex.