External Hard-Drive

The Fish

Just been told mine is buggered, meaning I've lost 99% of my music and 100% of my movies and tv.

Is there a way I can copy the list of music that is still showing on itunes into a spreadsheet or something, so that I can plan the re-building of my collection?

Re: the tv and movies, I think it's just going to be a case of getting the essentials, (The Wire, Band of Brothers, West Wing, Generation Kill, etc.) and then pick randoms out of the cobwebbed corners of my memory.

Define "buggered".

I've had HDs which showed as unformatted but were easily recovered with something like GetDataBack = costs a few quid(30ish) but saved my sanity.

A better way to get your tunes out would be to export your playlist from iTunes as a text file and then import it into Excel. iTunes will export as tab delimited so when you try and open the file in Excel it will let you import all the columns.

That'll work in iTunes will it? I didn't think those shortcuts transferred.

Yep, works perfectly and keeps it's format so everything goes into individual columns - much quicker than PP's export, open malarky! :icon_lol:

Yep, works perfectly and keeps it's format so everything goes into individual columns - much quicker than PP's export, open malarky! :icon_lol:

hmmmmm we'll see, give it six months and he'll be back shouting about how it didnt copy over "Show tunes 4" or "Will Youngs greatest hit"

then who'll be sorry? eh? eh? :icon_lol:

hmmmmm we'll see, give it six months and he'll be back shouting about how it didnt copy over "Show tunes 4" or "Will Youngs greatest hit"

then who'll be sorry? eh? eh? :icon_lol:

Perhaps I should have added a <CTRL+END> and check that the row number matches the amount of tunes you've got in iTunes. :icon_lol:

I only ever had a 4 gig iPod as I only needed a maximum of three hours twenty minutes playback time.

I'll try your suggestions.

I'll be visiting friends with my new Hard-drive whenever I get it and leeching their music direct from the source.

a broken external hard drive can mean anything.

the drive itself could be fine and therefore the data itself is fine too.

how exactly is it 'buggered'?

I only ever had a 4 gig iPod as I only needed a maximum of three hours twenty minutes playback time.

I'll try your suggestions.

I'll be visiting friends with my new Hard-drive whenever I get it and leeching their music direct from the source.

Aye I've got an 80 gig purely for storage really so it means I've always got at least one back up for anything that's really important.

a broken external hard drive can mean anything.

the drive itself could be fine and therefore the data itself is fine too.

how exactly is it 'buggered'?

In the pandemonium of my BBQ it was knocked over and from then it wouldn't even recognise there was a drive there. The external power would make it spin, it'd whir, beep, then whirr again then beep and so on and so forth. I gave it to a super-geek friend who tried mounting it in several different drives and the thing just will not be read. He assures me he tried everything and to be fair, he would be too proud of fixing something to give up when there was a still a chance, he said I could send it off to have the whole data "repaired" but it would cost me more than the drive was worth, so I don't really see the point.

if it were mine - id take the casing apart, remove the drive and try to install it in a pc to see if windows can see it.

if not - there are many , many free data recovery programs out there that might be able to get some or all of your data back.

do a google search for 'ultimate recovery cd'.

if it were mine - id take the casing apart, remove the drive and try to install it in a pc to see if windows can see it.

if not - there are many , many free data recovery programs out there that might be able to get some or all of your data back.

do a google search for 'ultimate recovery cd'.

that's what he tried, said that it just wouldn't read at all.

I tried a couple of the free recovery tools before finding one that worked (ie the trial confirmed it would work if it was purchased) so it might be worth asking what your mate tried.

Surely it won't matter if the disc itself doesn't seem be acknowledged.

Like I said he's mounted it in a few other drives and it just doesn't show up

Edited by The Fish

Not doubting his geek credentials but I presume you mean not showing up in the BIOS? - if that's the case then yes, you'd have to involve a pro but if it is in the BIOS but just not in "My Computer" then its fixable.

I'll ask him about that, but I'm guessing he's taken a swing at everything. He likes to show off his geek-cred

I'll ask him about that, but I'm guessing he's taken a swing at everything. He likes to show off his geek-cred

Your :icon_lol: friend :icon_lol: isn't a certain Mr Hayton is it? :icon_lol:

Your :icon_lol: friend :icon_lol: isn't a certain Mr Hayton is it? :icon_lol:

:icon_lol:

He'd just pass the problem off to Hermione <_<

Just been told mine is buggered, meaning I've lost 99% of my music and 100% of my movies and tv.

Is there a way I can copy the list of music that is still showing on itunes into a spreadsheet or something, so that I can plan the re-building of my collection?

Re: the tv and movies, I think it's just going to be a case of getting the essentials, (The Wire, Band of Brothers, West Wing, Generation Kill, etc.) and then pick randoms out of the cobwebbed corners of my memory.

maybe you need a backup for the backup.

Out of curiosity [and to avoid the same happening to me] what is the lifespan of these external HDD's

maybe you need a backup for the backup.

Out of curiosity [and to avoid the same happening to me] what is the lifespan of these external HDD's

If it's taken care of it'd be a lot longer than the year and a half or so I had it.

the only reason mine became fubar, is that it was knocked over.