Restaurants in Newcastle

The Fish

Have to disagree completely.

Forgetting the rest of the small man insults that have followed and back to the restaurant review.

For what it is, it has so much potential but is let down by the service, "what ya want?" in a geordie accent while looking at you as if they are doing you a favour doesn't make it local cultural experience and very average food for $$$.

After two bottles of wine, a number of courses and drinks, our bill was considerably more and presented to us as they pushed us out the door so they could fuck off around the corner for their chinese meal (where we ate a couple of nights later for a fraction of the price and the food was much better).

They did have a local brown beer which was amazing but do you think the useless staff were able to tell us where we could buy more???

Save your money and go to the Turkish restaurant up near SJP or one of the Japanese around the corner from Black Friar.

Got a problem with Geordies now have you? if you don't like it eat outside of Newcastle you cunt, Sunderland sounds about right for you.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to Black Friars on Saturday. Brilliant.

I had the pork and she had the chicken, both were delicious, and decent sized portion too. Bottle of Pinot Grigio from a decent selection.

Went last weekend and had these with the fishcake for starter. Really enjoyed it.

Jay Rayner reviewed it recently, he wasn't impressed by the number of Lindisfarne songs played. Never played any when I was there :D

Oh and I live just opposite. You could've knocked on me. :icon_lol:

Nah, Black Friars is still one of my favourite restaurants like. Never had an issue when Ive been there. That and the one over the swing bridge, cant recall its name, opposite buffalo's. Outside of the centre I used to like Amici in Forest Hall though thats now been replaced by Valentio in my very own Lanchester. Cracking little Italian. There's a nice place in town down on collingwood street, again, cant recall its name but its on the left hand side as you walk towards mosley st.

La Riviera?

Haven't been yet, but Pud recommended it to me.

For what it is, it has so much potential but is let down by the service, "what ya want?" in a geordie accent while looking at you as if they are doing you a favour doesn't make it local cultural experience ...

Got a problem with Geordies now have you? if you don't like it eat outside of Newcastle you cunt, Sunderland sounds about right for you.

Why would I have a problem with Geordies you pathetic little wank stain? You should learn how to read the whole sentence before you let your little digits loose on the keyboard. Some of the best people I know are normal size people from Newcastle, the dwarfs are a bunch of cunts though.

Edited by sammynb

For what it is, it has so much potential but is let down by the service, "what ya want?" in a geordie accent while looking at you as if they are doing you a favour doesn't make it local cultural experience ...

Why would I have a problem with Geordies you pathetic little wank stain? You should learn how to read the whole sentence before you let your little digits loose on the keyboard. Some of the best people I know are normal size people from Newcastle, the dwarfs are a bunch of cunts though.

:D

Why did you mention the accent then you pretentious prick? Your clearly annoyed I pointed this out and are now back peddling like fuck.

Why did you mention the accent then you pretentious prick? Your clearly annoyed I pointed this out and are now back peddling like fuck.

You think? Oh no that's right, you're to dumb to think!

If they said, "what ya want?" in a fucking french accent they wouldn't be trying to sell Black Friars as a genuine NE eating experience, would they?

I just realised, you're the dwarf Dopey!

Is that twit or twat?

I went to Blackfriars a couple of weeks ago and thought it was poor to be honest. The food was a bit bland and overpriced and the cumpulsory service charge pissed me off. It's a nice building though.

I'm so used to that included service charge I've no shame in asking it be removed to be honest. The waiters look a bit pissed off at first, but when they get the actual tip at the end they're suitably gracious.

The more people who ask for it to be removed the better, restaurants will soon cotton onto the fact that everybody hates them, especially the staff

I'm so used to that included service charge I've no shame in asking it be removed to be honest. The waiters look a bit pissed off at first, but when they get the actual tip at the end they're suitably gracious.

The more people who ask for it to be removed the better, restaurants will soon cotton onto the fact that everybody hates them, especially the staff

You dont honestly do that do you? :rolleyes:

Course I do. I don't see the problem either. I generally tip, will only refuse to when the service is particularly bad. I won't permit an automatic tip to be added to my bill in any case because it's presumptuous and often-times it's been factored into the waiting staffs wages. Minimum wage is fuck all really, so they should be earning minimum plus tips. Like I said they look pissed off at first because they don't think I'm tipping, but it's soon put right when I leave their tip on the table. That way I know they're getting it directly, it's going past dish washers, managers and the likes.

I know when I worked in restaurants or pubs I used to hate having to split my tip evenly with the other staff. The reason I'm getting tipped is because I've made the effort to make the customer have a nice time. The dish-washer should get a tip if the dishes are particularly shiny. I didn't mind them having a slice, but not an even share.

So you're telling me you're quite happy to have a tip arbitrarily taken from you, regardless of the quality of service?

You're a mug and you're a cock. You're a cock-mug.

Ive also worked in restaraunts :rolleyes: All tips go into a pot and are split at the end of the night between the waiters, chefs, dish washers and whoever is seating people. So they probably laugh about the cock mug (sic) who asks for the 10% to be knocked off the bill and then leaves 10% tip on the table with a look of satisfaction on his face as if he has just achieved a small moral victory in his life. If the food is deserving of a tip im not sure why the bloke who plonked it on your table is more deserving of the tip than the bloke who actually made it like.

Ive also worked in restaraunts :rolleyes: All tips go into a pot and are split at the end of the night between the waiters, chefs, dish washers and whoever is seating people. So they probably laugh about the cock mug (sic) who asks for the 10% to be knocked off the bill and then leaves 10% tip on the table with a look of satisfaction on his face as if he has just achieved a small moral victory in his life. If the food is deserving of a tip im not sure why the bloke who plonked it on your table is more deserving of the tip than the bloke who actually made it like.

I can't imagine you got many tips. <_<

I found in the places where the tip goes on the table, it goes to the waiting staff. Certainly in the places I worked that didn't operate the "even split for all" nonsense. Oh, and that you don't know why good service deserves tipping, proves to me that you were not a good waiter.

I'm sure the chefs earn sufficient so they're not bothered about the tip, well certainly chefs in a decent restaurant, not the microwave jockeys. But frankly, why the fuck should I tip someone warming up the food?

Basically KD if you're happy for someone to add 10% onto your bill regardless of service, then you're an moron and should be charged an extra 10% on anything. :)

I know youre meant to be a bit chunky but whats with this new found fascination with reviewing restaurants and pretty much preteding to be writing an article for the Mail Sunday supplement. You remind me of Piers Morgan crossed with Michael Winner. In the worst possible way

New found fascination? One post is hardly indicative of a fascination, now is it? I equally have doubts that that post would get anywhere near a paper. Perhaps I use too flowery a set of words for you, but we can't all be bottom feeders, now can we?

I went to a restaurant and enjoyed it, I wanted to tell others, so I did. I'm sure others have done in the past on here without your ornery gobshitery clogging up the internets.

Basically KD you've a massive chip on their shoulder. Stick to straight edge soldiering and arcade gaming mate, you're clearly not much use with anything else.

Oh, and have I mentioned that you're a cock?