Restaurants in Newcastle

The Fish

Went to Black Friars on Saturday. Brilliant.

Booked a table an hour before and was surprised to be successful. Was seen to quickly and politely, really warm welcome by the waiter. Small menu, but all looked decent. I remember a fair bit of fish on the menu, but English stalwarts like Roasted Lamb, Chicken, Pork and Beef stuck out. Fresh baked bread on the table moments after we'd been seated and there were kettle crisps to nibble on.

I had the pork and she had the chicken, both were delicious, and decent sized portion too. Bottle of Pinot Grigio from a decent selection. Had originally gone for some Reisling, but they were out of that, he suggested a different Reisling, but that was £40 ish and while I'm a nice guy, I'm not that nice.

anyway, Definitely would recommend going, food was excellent, service was good, the atmosphere and layout was pleasant too. Not cheap, Two mains and a bottle came to £50 including tip. But somewhere I'd sugest you try at least once.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the longest 'I had dinner with a girl wink wink' post ive ever read!

Fucking hell you're tedious. :icon_lol:

Booked a table an hour before and was surprised to be successful. Was seen to quickly and politely, really warm welcome by the waiter. Small menu, but all looked decent. I remember a fair bit of fish on the menu, but English stalwarts like Roasted Lamb, Chicken, Pork and Beef stuck out. Fresh baked bread on the table moments after we'd been seated and there were kettle crisps to nibble on.

I had the pork and she had the chicken, both were delicious, and decent sized portion too. Bottle of Pinot Grigio from a decent selection. Had originally gone for some Reisling, but they were out of that, he suggested a different Reisling, but that was £40 ish and while I'm a nice guy, I'm not that nice.

anyway, Definitely would recommend going, food was excellent, service was good, the atmosphere and layout was pleasant too. Not cheap, Two mains and a bottle came to £50 including tip. But somewhere I'd sugest you try at least once.

Have to disagree completely.

Forgetting the rest of the small man insults that have followed and back to the restaurant review.

For what it is, it has so much potential but is let down by the service, "what ya want?" in a geordie accent while looking at you as if they are doing you a favour doesn't make it local cultural experience and very average food for $$$.

After two bottles of wine, a number of courses and drinks, our bill was considerably more and presented to us as they pushed us out the door so they could fuck off around the corner for their chinese meal (where we ate a couple of nights later for a fraction of the price and the food was much better).

They did have a local brown beer which was amazing but do you think the useless staff were able to tell us where we could buy more???

Save your money and go to the Turkish restaurant up near SJP or one of the Japanese around the corner from Black Friar.

Edited by sammynb

Nah, Black Friars is still one of my favourite restaurants like. Never had an issue when Ive been there. That and the one over the swing bridge, cant recall its name, opposite buffalo's. Outside of the centre I used to like Amici in Forest Hall though thats now been replaced by Valentio in my very own Lanchester. Cracking little Italian. There's a nice place in town down on collingwood street, again, cant recall its name but its on the left hand side as you walk towards mosley st.

Fair enough, it's not like you're one to brag, is it?

Forgetting the rest of the small man insults that have followed and back to the restaurant review.

For what it is, it has so much potential but is let down by the service, "what ya want?" in a geordie accent while looking at you as if they are doing you a favour doesn't make it local cultural experience and very average food for $$$.

After two bottles of wine, a number of courses and drinks, our bill was considerably more and presented to us as they pushed us out the door so they could fuck off around the corner for their chinese meal (where we ate a couple of nights later for a fraction of the price and the food was much better).

They did have a local brown beer which was amazing but do you think the useless staff were able to tell us where we could buy more???

Save your money and go to the Turkish restaurant up near SJP or one of the Japanese around the corner from Black Friar.

Sorry you had a lousy time mate, sounds like you caught the wrong staff. Ours certainly couldn't be more helpful and made the right balance between "at your beck and call" and "not hovering".

Sorry you had a lousy time mate, sounds like you caught the wrong staff. Ours certainly couldn't be more helpful and made the right balance between "at your beck and call" and "not hovering".

TBH Dave we had been looking forward to it and it was a disappointment.

What I'm glad about though is we almost ended up dragging some vegetarian friends along there and I would been well pissed if it was my fault someone else had to suffer an expensive meal when their only choice was an average vegetable dish.

What I'm glad about though is we almost ended up dragging some vegetarian friends along there and I would been well pissed if it was my fault someone else had to suffer an expensive meal when their only choice was an average vegetable dish.

The weight of responsibility that comes with choosing the restaurant is a heavy burden and that's for sure. I hate it when things go south, you feel entirely to blame.

There's a couple of places in town where I feel utterly comfortable recommending; the Raj Tandoori on Pudding Chare, Francescas and now Black Friars. It seems alien to me, that you've had such a bad experience at it.

The weight of responsibility that comes with choosing the restaurant is a heavy burden and that's for sure. I hate it when things go south, you feel entirely to blame.

There's a couple of places in town where I feel utterly comfortable recommending; the Raj Tandoori on Pudding Chare, Francescas and now Black Friars. It seems alien to me, that you've had such a bad experience at it.

It wasn't bad, it was below average (bad is food poisoning and I can give you the name of a place in Brussels if you like?) and for a restaurant like Black Friar which is placing itself in the $$$ out of $$$$ category it is a joke.

Dave I've eaten in some amazing restaurants around the world where you get exactly what you pay for and I've eaten in some two bit holes where you have to question why a place like Black Friars doesn't even come close?

I suppose the best comparison I can make is there is a restaurant in Stuttgart which was founded in the 1500's, totally unassuming. We had one of the best meals I've ever experienced there. It was summer, we walked in off the street wearing t-shirt and shorts, so in German terms we looked like trash and they couldn't be more helpful. Again two bottles of wine and numerous courses later, change from what Black Friars charged, and it will stick with us forever.

It's not about the cost, it's about the experience and as I said BF offered nowt.

Er no, not really :D Any particular posts come to mind? I think its a bit of a myth on here tbh, perpetuated by people who brag like Fish and try to deflect it onto people who dont, like me :icon_lol:

Quite reasonable tbf.

I paid that in Chiquito over the weekend and that's basically fast food.

Er no, not really :D Any particular posts come to mind? I think its a bit of a myth on here tbh, perpetuated by people who brag like Fish and try to deflect it onto people who dont, like me :icon_lol:

Off the top of my head there's the 'ooh look at my decking', the 'ooh I'm getting married' and the 'ooh, anyone know anything about insuring the very expensive engagement ring I bought my lass recently'. I'm sure there's a few more though :icon_lol:

Black Door at the Biscuit Factory- pricey but absolute quality.

And you can have a beverage at the Tanners 1st :D

brag brag.............

Edited by Monkeys Fist

Does the Tanners still do "Newcastle's top Dub night on a Wednesday" btw? :icon_lol:

Does the Tanners still do "Newcastle's top Dub night on a Wednesday" btw? :icon_lol:

:icon_lol: not a feckin clue mate.

Dub and Dinner tho- top combo!

Off the top of my head there's the 'ooh look at my decking', the 'ooh I'm getting married' and the 'ooh, anyone know anything about insuring the very expensive engagement ring I bought my lass recently'. I'm sure there's a few more though :razz:

1 - I feel sorry for you if you find decking something to brag about :icon_lol:

2 - Ive been getting married for nearly 2 years. The fact that no-one on here knew about it probably goes to show how little ive mentioned it. Coupled with the fact that I could find 20 posts on here off people announcing they are getting married and that isnt viewed as bragging just proves the point in my original post

3 - That was a genuine question, and tbh its at the cheaper end of the scale for engagement rings so once again, not really something to brag about.

Im so misunderstood on here :icon_lol: Honestly, if Gemmil, Happy, Parky had posted any of those messages it wouldnt enter anyones head to think they were bragging. Merely using a message board in the manner for which it was intended!