Being Honest!

The Owld Fecker

Guest Stevie

I would've rather had Sewpa Kev, than Kevin Gallagher at the time, but there aren't many players Sunderland have had over the years who I would describe as my interpretation of Newcastle class.

Five who would've been useful squad additions though: Gary Bennett, Marco Gabbiadini (total fuckin cunt but wasted his career at small clubs), Don Hutchison (as a squad member), Sewpa Kev, and Whowlliooah Arcur.

Given, Clark... :rolleyes:

Given was ours, before he was yours but still a fair shout, IF you had read the title to the thread.

Great goalkeeper!

Reyna always struck me as a very good player, as did Arca in his prime. After that i'm struggling.

No thoughts on Quinn or Phillips?

They seemed to "do you over" with regular monotony.

:)

Guest Stevie

Given was ours, before he was yours but still a fair shout, IF you had read the title to the thread.

Great goalkeeper!

Reyna always struck me as a very good player, as did Arca in his prime. After that i'm struggling.

Quinn? A career lasting 15 seasons and he managed TWO goals against us.

Depends how far you want to go back. There's been a load of Sunderland players that I've seen over the years that I'd have had at Newcastle although I wouldn't have said it at the time. Colin Todd for one.

Great goalkeeper!

Quinn? A career lasting 15 seasons and he managed TWO goals against us.

My comment about SNQ was not just based upon his performance on the pitch, but his performance since!

However, I think that you may like (or not) to recall this goal, which reminded me of "The Mighty Wyn", or "Wyn the leap", IIRC!

<_<

Great goalkeeper!

I know he was there first... that's why I said he was one "sunderland player" that I'd want in the Newcastle Squad...

Arca and Reyna were decent, but I couldn't say I'd definitely have had them.

It's difficult, because at times there were players that were decent but against the Newcastle team at the time I'd not have had any, similarly, there'd be players I'd have when our squad was at it's worst, but at no other time.

I think I'm too young to remember any truly class sunderland players. I'm only 28 y'see

Guest Stevie

The players I mentioned I wouldn't have wanted them as they're not top top class like we've had. The only one I would've said I was especially pleased about would've been Sewpa Kev in 2000, to supplement Shearer and Bellamy. We probably should've thrown in a cheeky £4m bid at the time. When you think about it they've never had a desirable player really in my life time other than him.

Edited by Stevie

To reverse the question, I will give you a "starter".

Wyn Davies, for me, was amazing and I would love to have seen him wearing red and white, at the peak of his career!

:rolleyes:

David Kelly.

Wyn Davies, for me, was amazing and I would love to have seen him wearing red and white, at the peak of his career!

David Kelly.

Being the age I was when we sold Ned he was my first hero. I was devastated.

I know he was there first... that's why I said he was one "sunderland player" that I'd want in the Newcastle Squad...

Arca and Reyna were decent, but I couldn't say I'd definitely have had them.

It's difficult, because at times there were players that were decent but against the Newcastle team at the time I'd not have had any, similarly, there'd be players I'd have when our squad was at it's worst, but at no other time.

I think I'm too young to remember any truly class sunderland players. I'm only 28 y'see

I understand, fully, where you are coming from - much to my shame!

I'm 61 and in the last 47 years (since I "latched on") there have not been that many, that I would have wanted.

However, your lot have, in that time, taken away a few "dead beats" - Anderson, Clarke etc. But, I think that you could say the same of us - Guthrie, Young (I used to go to school with his brother, thank god, never in the same class, he invented the need for the word thick!).

The players I mentioned I wouldn't have wanted them as they're not top top class like we've had. The only one I would've said I was especially pleased about would've been Sewpa Kev in 2000, to supplement Shearer and Bellamy. We probably should've thrown in a cheeky £4m bid at the time. When you think about it they've never had a desirable player really in my life time other than him.

OOPS!

Please forgive my sarcasm!

Bellamy, "top class"?

It seems, though, that you have ignored my question about SNQ!

Would you still prefer FFS?

A few other names (apart from KP) to throw into the melting pot would be Charlie Hurley, Brian Clough, Dave Watson, Dennis Tueart, Ritchie Pitt etc., and then coming (a little more up to date) Paul Bracewell (forgot that you thought he was a Mag), Marco (remember what he did to you?) etc.!

I will admit, then my memory becomes a little hazey.

Maybe, trying to "blot out" the thought of "Xisco" etc. ever playing for us - or ever wishing that they could, which I did not!

David Kelly.

Being the age I was when we sold Ned he was my first hero. I was devastated.

He's got to be up there as one of my all time best NUFC players, more for attitude and vital goals and nostagia than skill, Derby away followed by Pompey at home are the reasons I love this club, Kelly and the players bonded with the supporters in a way the likes of N'zogbia, Bassong, Jenas etc, etc could never fathom.

I'm 61 and in the last 47 years (since I "latched on") there have not been that many, that I would have wanted.

However, your lot have, in that time, taken away a few "dead beats" - Anderson, Clarke etc. But, I think that you could say the same of us - Guthrie, Young (I used to go to school with his brother, thank god, never in the same class, he invented the need for the word thick!).

A few other names (apart from KP) to throw into the melting pot would be Charlie Hurley, Brian Clough, Dave Watson, Dennis Tueart, Ritchie Pitt etc., and then coming (a little more up to date) Paul Bracewell (forgot that you thought he was a Mag), Marco (remember what he did to you?) etc.!

Maybe, trying to "blot out" the thought of "Xisco" etc. ever playing for us - or ever wishing that they could, which I did not!

<_<

Bracewell was a good signing, the likes of Hurley, Clough etc, soz, I'm too young. Hand on heart, I can't remember ever watching a Sunderland player and thinking 'I'd love him in our side'. Maybe it's the black & white tinted glasses or maybe it's the shite you've had playing for you for years or probably, truthfully, somewhere in-between. :rolleyes:

Guest Stevie

OOPS!

Bellamy, "top class"?

I'd honest to god easily put Bellamy in the top 10 players I've seen in a toon shirt and believe me that is a bold statement, he was better than Tino, certainly more consistent, when he's fit he's without question one of the best players in the Premiership. 18 league goals as second striker in one season in a run of the mill Blackburn side. Average players don't win Young Player of The Year awards neither (if your initials aren't JJ). Craig Bellamy is a better player than Sunderland have had since the 70's at least, and that is a fact. If you understand football you understand Craig Bellamy, I said in 2002 when Bellamy was in our side that I'd much rather have him than the current European Player of The Year at the time Michael Owen, and I meant it. No one did more the latter part of Shearer's career than CB, and as I say he is probably the best player Sunderland could ever sign, although I think the only reason he'd sign is because there is a bitterness towards NUFC from him, and the ultimate sick satisfaction for him would be scoring against us in a Sunderland shirt.

I was talking about Bellamy today, I think he'd have been a great signing for us in our current position. However, there's no way Shearer would have him any where near the ground, a sizeable portion of the crowd have a hatred towards him that I just don't get and I doubt he'd take the step down in competition.

Without a doubt the pace and endeavour he showed week in, week out was the major factor in Robson's Entertainers winning the hearts of the Geordie crowd and the respect of the country.

Unfortunately, Bobster was the only man who could have managed Craig and when he was unceremoniously left out in the cold, the writing was on the wall for the firebrand.

OOPS!

Bellamy, "top class"?

I'd honest to god easily put Bellamy in the top 10 players I've seen in a toon shirt and believe me that is a bold statement, he was better than Tino, certainly more consistent, when he's fit he's without question one of the best players in the Premiership. 18 league goals as second striker in one season in a run of the mill Blackburn side. Average players don't win Young Player of The Year awards neither (if your initials aren't JJ). Craig Bellamy is a better player than Sunderland have had since the 70's at least, and that is a fact. If you understand football you understand Craig Bellamy, I said in 2002 when Bellamy was in our side that I'd much rather have him than the current European Player of The Year at the time Michael Owen, and I meant it. No one did more the latter part of Shearer's career than CB, and as I say he is probably the best player Sunderland could ever sign, although I think the only reason he'd sign is because there is a bitterness towards NUFC from him, and the ultimate sick satisfaction for him would be scoring against us in a Sunderland shirt.

I was talking about Bellamy today, I think he'd have been a great signing for us in our current position. However, there's no way Shearer would have him any where near the ground, a sizeable portion of the crowd have a hatred towards him that I just don't get and I doubt he'd take the step down in competition.

Without a doubt the pace and endeavour he showed week in, week out was the major factor in Robson's Entertainers winning the hearts of the Geordie crowd and the respect of the country.

Unfortunately, Bobster was the only man who could have managed Craig and when he was unceremoniously left out in the cold, the writing was on the wall for the firebrand.

He was a little cunt, but he was a little cunt in a way that was good for NUFC, only a knacker like Souness would have got rid of a playing asset like Bellamy the way he did. David Speedie was loathed by Mags for years, even as a young'un I'd have had him here in a shot when CFC decided to sell him, sometimes you need a worky bastard like that to get the team/fans going. I might be in a minority but there you go.

Guest Stevie

OOPS!

Bellamy, "top class"?

He was a little cunt, but he was a little cunt in a way that was good for NUFC, only a knacker like Souness would have got rid of a playing asset like Bellamy the way he did. David Speedie was loathed by Mags for years, even as a young'un I'd have had him here in a shot when CFC decided to sell him, sometimes you need a worky bastard like that to get the team/fans going. I might be in a minority but there you go.

The worky bastards we've had directed the anger at the toon fans though that's the trouble, Billy Whitehurst giving the V's, Barton slagging us in the paper etc...