The Mighty Wigan

Rob W

You get a side grafting and working as a team then there is no telling where confidence can take you. Remember the Norwich team of the early 90's who had a good couple of years? There were no stars in that side, I think Chris Sutton was the only one you could say went on to better things.

53997[/snapback]

Ruel Fox came here in his black and white socks.

Well, I liked him.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You get a side grafting and working as a team then there is no telling where confidence can take you. Remember the Norwich team of the early 90's who had a good couple of years? There were no stars in that side, I think Chris Sutton was the only one you could say went on to better things.

53997[/snapback]

Ruel Fox came here in his black and white socks.

Well, I liked him.

54004[/snapback]

Whey aye, Ruel! Forgot about him like :D

They have done fantastic and all power to them but I still think they will finish in the bottom half though. They could quite easily not pick up a point in their next six or seven games.

And for all the decent football they may well have played they looked pretty poor against us and with the one exception of their goal they never really threatened our defence at all.

We were just shite that day.

One thing in particular I've noticed (apart from the good football they've been playing) is that their back four look excellent.

53732[/snapback]

I think that's down to their style of defending though. They're very negative and defend as deep as possible as they know they'll be under the cosh a lot no matter what system they play. That's why they went out and signed de Zeeuw & Henchoz. Two very average centre-backs, but who are excellent in the air, so when balls do fly into their box, 9 times out of 10, they'll get rid of it. Put either of them at Arsenal, Man U, etc. and they'd be found out no problem.

One thing in particular I've noticed (apart from the good football they've been playing) is that their back four look excellent.

53732[/snapback]

I think that's down to their style of defending though. They're very negative and defend as deep as possible as they know they'll be under the cosh a lot no matter what system they play. That's why they went out and signed de Zeeuw & Henchoz. Two very average centre-backs, but who are excellent in the air, so when balls do fly into their box, 9 times out of 10, they'll get rid of it. Put either of them at Arsenal, Man U, etc. and they'd be found out no problem.

54014[/snapback]

Yet they almost got a draw against Chelsea, and by all accounts looked the better team?

They're organised, use tactics, and have a great morale. That is the key.

Ruel Fox was alright, but he wasn't that good really was he? It was about a work ethic and a team who believed in themselves. Didn't they beat Inter at home as well?

54024[/snapback]

I'm not sure but I can remember Villa (when David Platt was there) beating Inter at home 2-0 a couple of years earlier, only to lose 3-0 away :D

Who beat Inter in a penalty shoot out? I have a vivid memory of a game on council tele with Bergkamp missing a penalty in a shoot out. I'm positive it wasn't a dream.

54035[/snapback]

Dunno, thinking back didn't Narge (that's how they say Norwich in Norfolk :D ) lose to Inter? They might have won the home leg like.

They have done fantastic and all power to them but I still think they will finish in the bottom half though.  They could quite easily not pick up a point in their next six or seven games.

And for all the decent football they may well have played they looked pretty poor against us and with the one exception of their goal they never really threatened our defence at all.

We were just shite that day.

54011[/snapback]

not just that day I'm afraid

Ruel Fox was alright, but he wasn't that good really was he? It was about a work ethic and a team who believed in themselves. Didn't they beat Inter at home as well?

54024[/snapback]

I'm not sure but I can remember Villa (when David Platt was there) beating Inter at home 2-0 a couple of years earlier, only to lose 3-0 away :D

54031[/snapback]

Hmmm - I can remember an other team playing in Yurop who won away and then got beat at home and then slumped to the bottom the PL..............

people in glass houses

54024[/snapback]

54031[/snapback]

Hmmm - I can remember an other team playing in Yurop who won away and then got beat at home and then slumped to the bottom the PL..............

people in glass houses

54073[/snapback]

I was more amused by the British (well English) press creaming themselves at the initial result, only for Inter to murder Villa at home.

Are Wigan that different to us, when we came back up to the top flight?

I mean at the time we didn't have any real big names in the side apart from a 32 year old Beardsley, who many thought was past it.

Cole was developing a reputation but the rest of the team were playing above themselves fuelled by the crowd, team spirit and Keegan.

Edited by BigAl

I mean at the time we didn't have any real big names in the side apart from a 32 year old Beardsley, who many thought was past it.

Cole was developing a reputation but the rest of the team were playing above themselves fuelled by the crowd, team spirit and Keegan.

54290[/snapback]

Well they haven't got the crowd or Keegan really, have they?

54290[/snapback]

54334[/snapback]

Can't quite see them breaking the world transfer record either :naughty:

54290[/snapback]

54334[/snapback]

54290[/snapback]

54334[/snapback]

Can't quite see them breaking the world transfer record either :naughty:

54336[/snapback]

They are the same in as much as they surprised everyone how well they are doing, 12 months prior to our promotion we nearly went down to the old 3rd Division and were on the brink of being bankrupt.

Obviously things have vastly improved and Wigan are not on the same scale as us, but I find it refreshing that a team that is well coached and work hard can be high up in the Premiership.

Looking at there next half dozen fixtures the bubble could well burst, but so far so good and fair play to them.

i think the reason their defensive record is so good as Jewell knows De Zeeuw and Henchoz have no pace whatsoever so this just defend deep for their lives and not exposing their lack of pace, that's why Owen was so ineffective against them earlier on this season

They are the same in as much as they surprised everyone how well they are doing, 12 months prior to our promotion we nearly went down to the old 3rd Division and were on the brink of being bankrupt.

Obviously things have vastly improved and Wigan are not on the same scale as us, but I find it refreshing that a team that is well coached and work hard can be high up in the Premiership.

Looking at there next half dozen fixtures the bubble could well burst, but so far so good and fair play to them.

54355[/snapback]

Fair enough, but I can't see them finishing 3rd like we did in our first season. Good luck to them though.

54355[/snapback]

Fair enough, but I can't see them finishing 3rd like we did in our first season. Good luck to them though.

54375[/snapback]

I agree with you there, 3rd would be a tall order.

Thinking back to those days it makes me feel great inside, it was just a total joy to watch and it made you feel so proud.

This is how we started the 94-95 season:

Leicester 1 NUFC 3

NUFC 4 Coventry 0

NUFC 5 Southampton 1

West Ham 1 NUFC 3

NUFC 4 Chelsea 2

Arsenal 2 NUFC 3

NUFC 1 Liverpool 1

Villa 0 NUFC 2

25 goals in 8 games fanfu--ing tastic!!!!!!!

54355[/snapback]

54375[/snapback]

Thinking back to those days it makes me feel great inside, it was just a total joy to watch and it made you feel so proud.

Leicester 1 NUFC 3

NUFC 4 Coventry 0

NUFC 5 Southampton 1

West Ham 1 NUFC 3

NUFC 4 Chelsea 2

Arsenal 2 NUFC 3

NUFC 1 Liverpool 1

Villa 0 NUFC 2

54426[/snapback]

and then Bilbao :naughty:

54355[/snapback]

54375[/snapback]

Leicester 1 NUFC 3

NUFC 4 Coventry 0

NUFC 5 Southampton 1

West Ham 1 NUFC 3

NUFC 4 Chelsea 2

Arsenal 2 NUFC 3

NUFC 1 Liverpool 1

Villa 0 NUFC 2

54426[/snapback]

and then Bilbao :naughty:

54436[/snapback]

And finishing a disappointing 6th.....

But you're right. Those first 3 seasons in the PL were practically the best in living memory.

54355[/snapback]

54375[/snapback]

Leicester 1 NUFC 3

NUFC 4 Coventry 0

NUFC 5 Southampton 1

West Ham 1 NUFC 3

NUFC 4 Chelsea 2

Arsenal 2 NUFC 3

NUFC 1 Liverpool 1

Villa 0 NUFC 2

54426[/snapback]

and then Bilbao :huh:

54436[/snapback]

But you're right. Those first 3 seasons in the PL were practically the best in living memory.

54478[/snapback]

Though, who cares about enjoying football. I've learnt a couple of days ago that these seasons were not good because in a couple of games Newcastle weren't able to defend a lead... :naughty:

54355[/snapback]

54375[/snapback]

Leicester 1 NUFC 3

NUFC 4 Coventry 0

NUFC 5 Southampton 1

West Ham 1 NUFC 3

NUFC 4 Chelsea 2

Arsenal 2 NUFC 3

NUFC 1 Liverpool 1

Villa 0 NUFC 2

54426[/snapback]

and then Bilbao :D

54436[/snapback]

54478[/snapback]

Though, who cares about enjoying football. I've learnt a couple of days ago that these seasons were not good because in a couple of games Newcastle weren't able to defend a lead... :huh:

54487[/snapback]

Total manipulation of a point - no wonder you work in law Isegrim! :naughty: