Only in America

Christmas Tree

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seriously though CT, Florida is a horrible plastic nightmareish place. If you're making the effort to cross the Atlantic you might as well go somewhere nice. Even if you're taking the kids they'd have as much fun in California as they would in Florida, but you wouldn't be in Florida.

The Americans that I've spoken to on the subject (admittedly it's only come up with maybe 5 of them) have lambasted Florida for the tacky hell hole it is.

seriously though CT, Florida is a horrible plastic nightmareish place. If you're making the effort to cross the Atlantic you might as well go somewhere nice. Even if you're taking the kids they'd have as much fun in California as they would in Florida, but you wouldn't be in Florida.

The Americans that I've spoken to on the subject (admittedly it's only come up with maybe 5 of them) have lambasted Florida for the tacky hell hole it is.

Your comments imply you have never been...

I know there is quite a bit of false snobbery on here at times, but the facts remain it is the most popular holiday destination in the world. Now the fact that I use the word popular will in itself bring snobbery out in some.

We then have people (stands to be corrected) such as yourself who slag the place off without actually having being there.

Seriously I do understand that different people have different requirements from a holiday, but most families can have endless fun in Florida whether it is planning your stay to coincide with a space launch (as we have done twice) or the fantastic climate, the shops, the food restaurants are fabulous, the "have a nice day" service you receive is fantastic.

Then there are the theme parks, water parks, sea world with its killer whales, manatees etc etc When I went the first time I dreaded the theme parks because i dont really like or trust fair rides. They are a world away from a fairground and drenched in Disney magic.

Of course the world is full of places to visit but most families who are lucky enough to afford it, choose florida again and again.

Great place to go with little kids as they love it. That's what Orlando is all about.

Pity it's got one of the biggest conference centres in the US so 5 days or so is a struggle for most adults. Give me NO any day.

I know there is quite a bit of false snobbery on here at times, but the facts remain it is the most popular holiday destination in the world. Now the fact that I use the word popular will in itself bring snobbery out in some.

We then have people (stands to be corrected) such as yourself who slag the place off without actually having being there.

Seriously I do understand that different people have different requirements from a holiday, but most families can have endless fun in Florida whether it is planning your stay to coincide with a space launch (as we have done twice) or the fantastic climate, the shops, the food restaurants are fabulous, the "have a nice day" service you receive is fantastic.

Then there are the theme parks, water parks, sea world with its killer whales, manatees etc etc When I went the first time I dreaded the theme parks because i dont really like or trust fair rides. They are a world away from a fairground and drenched in Disney magic.

Of course the world is full of places to visit but most families who are lucky enough to afford it, choose florida again and again.

Been twice mate, shan't be going again. Had a dream holiday when I was a bairn, then we went back when I was a teenager. Both times we had Florida as part of a larger holiday and both times I felt under-awed by it. Even as a kid I was never a massive fan of theme parks, I had more fun in the other places. The Bahamas was amazing even as a kid, and Yellowstone was unbelievable. We went to Rodeos and huge fairs (fayres?)in Colorado. Went snorkelling in the Bahamas and yet Florida was, to me, a glammed up Blackpool with better weather. Nothing there stood out except a Hollywood Lightning Storm.

Honestly the things that you're marking as things to do in Florida, you can also do in California (bar the Shuttle launches); the climate, the shops, the restaurants, the service. It all exists in California, but with more variety and quality.

I not saying it's impossible to have a good time in Florida, I'm just saying that you can do all that and more elsewhere. Like I said, if you're crossing the Atlantic, you may as well go that little bit further. I'll also bet that if you can afford Florida and the obligatory Disney trip, you could definitely afford a holiday in Colorado and you'd have more fun.

but, I suppose, it's horses for courses. :D

oh and fwiw I'm not bragging/showing off/or whatever else you'd like to claim KD, so don't start.

Been twice mate, shan't be going again. Had a dream holiday when I was a bairn, then we went back when I was a teenager. Both times we had Florida as part of a larger holiday and both times I felt under-awed by it. Even as a kid I was never a massive fan of theme parks, I had more fun in the other places. The Bahamas was amazing even as a kid, and Yellowstone was unbelievable. We went to Rodeos and huge fairs (fayres?)in Colorado. Went snorkelling in the Bahamas and yet Florida was, to me, a glammed up Blackpool with better weather. Nothing there stood out except a Hollywood Lightning Storm.

Honestly the things that you're marking as things to do in Florida, you can also do in California (bar the Shuttle launches); the climate, the shops, the restaurants, the service. It all exists in California, but with more variety and quality.

I not saying it's impossible to have a good time in Florida, I'm just saying that you can do all that and more elsewhere. Like I said, if you're crossing the Atlantic, you may as well go that little bit further. I'll also bet that if you can afford Florida and the obligatory Disney trip, you could definitely afford a holiday in Colorado and you'd have more fun.

oh and fwiw I'm not bragging/showing off/or whatever else you'd like to claim KD, so don't start.

Is the correct answer. :D

One of my dream trips is to go to Hawai and watch Lava falling into the sea! Long way to go like, think its another 6 - 8 hours after Florida.

Have no real fancy for these parks such as yellowstone, where bears literally do shit in the woods. :D

One of my dream trips is to go to Hawai and watch Lava falling into the sea! Long way to go like, think its another 6 - 8 hours after Florida.

Have no real fancy for these parks such as yellowstone, where bears literally do shit in the woods. :D

Re: Yellowstone, you're incredibly lucky if you do see a bear. Chipmunks, Moose, birds of all kind, but Bears aren't particularly sociable. :D

Yellowstone itself is a staggering piece of natural beauty, really recommend it to even the most city-bound folk.

could you not do that in Iceland? be closer, colder but closer.

could you not do that in Iceland? be closer, colder but closer.

Re: Yellowstone, you're incredibly lucky if you do see a bear. Chipmunks, Moose, birds of all kind, but Bears aren't particularly sociable. :D

Yellowstone itself is a staggering piece of natural beauty, really recommend it to even the most city-bound folk.

William Tesinsky, photographer

Approached an adult female too closely in the Otter Creek area of Hayden Valley,Yellowstone National Park, Dead

Brigitta Fredenhagen

Dragged from a tent during the night and killed at a backcountry campsite at the southern end of White Lake in Yellowstone National Park.

Roger May

Dragged from a tent during the night and killed at the Rainbow Point campground in the Gallatin National Forest just Northwest of Yellowstone National Park

Harry Walker

Killed by a bear that was feeding on food that was left out at his campsite near Old Faithful Inn, Yellowstone National Park.

Gil Haggerty

Killed at Old Faithful campground in Yellowstone National Park

Frank Welch, 61

Killed at a camp near Sylvan Pass, Yellowstone. A bear was later killed in this area and it was "Old Two Toes". :rolleyes:

Link to bear attack victim. Do not view if you are squeamish, seriously http://www.sixbullets.com/_images/bear_attack.jpg

I'll stick to Pooh Fish :D

winnie-the-pooh-evil.jpg

Edited by Christmas Tree

:D 7 out of... how many visitors?

And how many of those didn't take the proper precautions? Definitely victims 1 and 4.

More chance of tragedy on a theme park ride mate. :D

If you bump into Robert's family give them a thank you from me?

I think a trip there warrants a new toon top with Robert on the back but i've never been one for wearing a strip on holiday.

A tattoo then?

him, in his kegs, doing that dance?

And how many of those didn't take the proper precautions? Definitely victims 1 and 4.

Im sure your right, but getting mangled by Mickey somehow doesnt seem quite as bad as getting chased and eaten alive. :D

You're much more likely to see a bear in Canada or Alaska than you are in Yellowstone.

I'd love to go to Iceland but I don't know what state the place is in after the financial collapse, it was fucking expensive beforehand. I think Renton might've been.

Florida? nah, far too humid for me. If I was doing an American sun 'n' theme-parks holiday it would have to be California. San Diego is a lovely place too.

Im sure your right, but getting mangled by Mickey somehow doesnt seem quite as bad as getting chased and eaten alive. :D

Bears will only go after humans if (i) they feel their young are under threat, (ii) they feel their food is under threat. They will approach campsites if they get the slightest whiff of food left out, rubbish or even toiletries which is why there are signs absolutely everywhere telling you to keep your stuff in sealed containers.

Bears will only go after humans if (i) they feel their young are under threat, (ii) they feel their food is under threat. They will approach campsites if they get the slightest whiff of food left out, rubbish or even toiletries which is why there are signs absolutely everywhere telling you to keep your stuff in sealed containers.

Thats enough reasons for me :D

to be fair, if you attack their young or try and steal their pickernick basket I think you're asking for a mauling.

Aye but its the stumbling upon each other around the mountain path malarky that gets you every time.

Aye but you just flat out don't do that. This isn't Jurassic Park, your footfalls and smell would send them off the other way.

to be fair, if you attack their young or try and steal their pickernick basket I think you're asking for a mauling.

Aye but its the stumbling upon each other around the mountain path malarky that gets you every time.

Aye but you just flat out don't do that. This isn't Jurassic Park, your footfalls and smell would send them off the other way.

Unless you had a cherry flavoured lipbalm in your pocket.

What do you do when you meet a bear?

Whenever you travel in bear country, you have to accept the basic reality that you may encounter a bear. The tips on these pages will help reduce the likelihood of meeting Master Bruin, but at the same time, you need to be prepared for what to do when the unexpected occurs.

If you are in open country, use binoculars to scan the horizon to look for bears. In more forested landscapes, be sure to make lots of noise and keep a mental inventory of climbable trees (just in case). Remember, black bears are agile climbers, and grizzlies have also been known to climb short distances up trees. To be safe, you should look for trees that will allow you to get at least 10 m (33 ft) above the ground. Don't forget that bears can charge at 50 km/hr (30 m.p.h.). You'll need some time to climb that tree.

Situation 1 - Bear has not detected your presence and is more than 100 m (350 ft) distant.

Don't announce your presence if the bear has not seen you. If possible, retreat slowly and give the bear plenty of space. If you have the opportunity, you should retreat and leave the trail to the bear. If you must continue, back off a short distance, and give the bear time to leave the area. You should also do a wide detour quietly and quickly downwind to avoid problems.

Situation 2 - Bear has detected your presence, but is more than 100 m (350 ft) distant.

Your goal here is to act in such a way as to allow the bear to identify you, but to also let it know that you are no threat. Speak calmly so that it knows you are a human (their eyesight is quite poor). They will often quickly give ground to you once they identify you as human. If the situation permits, back away slowly, keeping a close eye on the bear. Otherwise, you may wish to detour around the bear, but in this case, detour upwind so that the bear can get your scent. Keep talking calmly. Waving your arms may help it identify you as a human.

Situation 3 - Bear has detected you and shows signs of aggression

If you have followed the advice listed above, hopefully you have a bit of distance between the bear and yourself. You'll need to

Assess the situation. Are you dealing with a black bear or a grizzly? Are there cubs involved? Are there climbable trees nearby (and do you have sufficient time to climb them)?

Do Not Run. You can't outrun a bear so don't even try. Despite rumours to the contrary, black and grizzly bears can outrun a human on ANY terrain, uphill or down. People will tell you that you should run downhill when chased by a grizzly. This is simply a myth - don't try it!

Try to retreat slowly. Back up slowly and try to put more space between you and the bear. Talk calmly so that it can identify you as human, and slowly back up. Keep your backpack on as it can provide protection if necessary. Don't make direct eye contact, but keep a close look at the bear as you back away.

Climb a tree if available. If you have enough time, and the bear continues to move closer, take advantage of a tall tree to climb. Remember, black bears are strong climbers as well. Grizzlies have also climbed short distances up trees after people. You want to get at least 10 m (33 feet) high to reduce the chance of being pulled out of the tree. Even though some bears can come up the tree after you, the hope is that they will feel less threatened, and thus less likely to chase you up the tree.

If the bear charges you. Bears will often bluff charge before attacking. This is designed to allow enemies to back down before the bear needs to actually make contact. It evolved as a way to prevent encounters with enemies and it may provide you with an opportunity to back away.

Use your pepper spray. This is a last resort. Pepper spray is only good at very close range (5 m or 15 ft). Wind will reduce this effective range even farther (and may blow the spray back into your face). If the bear approaches within this range, point the spray at its eyes and discharge the contents. Hopefully, this will either disorient the bear to allow you to escape, or at the very least deter it from attacking. Once you have partially discharged a canister of bear spray it should be discarded. While the spray may deter attacks, the smell of pepper can act as an attractor.

If a black bear (or any bear that is stalking you) makes contact. If the attack escalates and a black bear (or any bear that appears to have been stalking you) physically contacts you, fight back with anything that is available to you. Black bears tend to be more timid than grizzlies and fighting back may scare the bear off. In addition, if a bear is stalking you than you are in a predatory situation and fighting back is your only option. This also applies to any attack at night as these may also be considered predatory in nature.

If a grizzly makes contact. As above, if you believe the bear to be stalking you, fight back with everything you have. In general though, playing dead in a daytime grizzly encounter tends to reduce the level of injury sustained by most attack victims. Many grizzly attacks are defensive in nature, and playing dead may show the bear that you are not a threat. Keep your backpack on as it will provide added protection. The best position is to lie on your side in a fetal position. Bring your legs up to your chest and bury your head into your legs. Wrap your arms around your legs and hold on tight. You may also lie on your stomach, backpack on, and place your hands behind your neck to protect that vulnerable area. Do not play dead until the last moment. Staying on your feet may allow you to dodge, or divert an attack.

After the attack. Once the attack has ended, remain patient. :D After a few minutes, try to determine if the bear is still in the area. If the bear has moved on, you should make your way towards assistance as quickly as possible.