Only in America

Christmas Tree

Brooksville. It's halfway between Tampa and Orlando.

Wor lass has family over there. Big house in a gated community. Got their own pool and their garden overlooks the golf course.

Obviously I've made my feelings clear on Sea World :D but if you get the chance I'd check out the Gulf Coast. It's got beaches up there with the one at South Shields.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wor lass has family over there. Big house in a gated community. Got their own pool and their garden overlooks the golf course.

Obviously I've made my feelings clear on Sea World :D but if you get the chance I'd check out the Gulf Coast. It's got beaches up there with the one at South Shields.

Will do cheers. We'll be doing both I reckon. I'm not so fussed on seaworld or owt but I'm looking forward to Universal Studios (can't wait to see the 30 year old mechanical Jaws in real life :D ) and (as you recommend) I hope to get across to the Kennedy Centre and Cape Canaveral. Only supposed to be a 2 1/2 hour drive.

Just a disappointment Harry Potter World opens shortly after we've been so we'll just miss it.

Will do cheers. We'll be doing both I reckon. I'm not so fussed on seaworld or owt but I'm looking forward to Universal Studios (can't wait to see the 30 year old mechanical Jaws in real life :D ) and (as you recommend) I hope to get across to the Kennedy Centre and Cape Canaveral. Only supposed to be a 2 1/2 hour drive.

Just a disappointment Harry Potter World opens shortly after we've been so we'll just miss it.

The roads are really good anyway so it's pretty easy getting around. Siesta Key is really beautiful and not too far from where you're staying.

Edited by alex

You will love it there, I'm sure. You are also going at a very good time of the year before the hurricane season start (which is basically all summer).

Highly reccomend trying to catch a spcae launch ( see NASA ) and if there's one on, watch it from the open top pub on cocoa beach.

IMO Sea world is a must as is typhoon lagoon, one of disneys water parks.

As alex says, the Gulf is nice and Clearwater is a nice town.

If you have access to a car you could also head down to Miami, a few hours drive away.

Er, isn't that at the California one?

The roads are really good anyway so it's pretty easy getting around. Siesta Key is really beautiful and not too far from where you're staying.

Looks like that could be a canny drive too, if I take the scenic route across the bridges over Tampa Bay. Might give it a whirl. :D

:D

No. It's Florida.

Looks like that could be a canny drive too, if I take the scenic route across the bridges over Tampa Bay. Might give it a whirl. :D

Aye, I think it's the Sunshine Skyway or something like that which has the massive suspension bridges. Haven't been for years. Daytona Beach is canny good too (especially on a Sunday) althhough that's a canny drive. It's hilarious seeing all the characters driving up and down the beach. It's a bit fucking shady in some of the bars round there though.

No. It's Florida.

There must be two then unless they've shifted it. Mind you, its nearly 20 years since I was in LA.

You will love it there, I'm sure. You are also going at a very good time of the year before the hurricane season start (which is basically all summer).

Highly reccomend trying to catch a spcae launch ( see NASA ) and if there's one on, watch it from the open top pub on cocoa beach.

IMO Sea world is a must as is typhoon lagoon, one of disneys water parks.

As alex says, the Gulf is nice and Clearwater is a nice town.

If you have access to a car you could also head down to Miami, a few hours drive away.

Cheers.

We'll be hiring a car for the full 3 weeks so hope to get all over the shop.

I'm not really big on the theme parks etc. but Typhoon Lagoon was canny good when I went. Water slide parks are canny good though. There's another one called Blizzard Beach now as well I think. Not been but it's meant to be mint.

I'm not really big on the theme parks etc. but Typhoon Lagoon was canny good when I went. Water slide parks are canny good though. There's another one called Blizzard Beach now as well I think. Not been but it's meant to be mint.

could spend many a hour on the lazy river.

The downside IMO to the Disney theme parks is this. There are five or six ? parks. When they opened eurodisney they plucked the best bits from each of these parks and rolled them into one. Having gone to Paris first, we were therefore a bit dissapointed with the USA parks.

Typhoon Lagoon was great, Blizzard Beach was gash. I'm crazy about water parks but that one really was nothing special and the lines...better not spoken of.

There are 4 Disney parks in Florida, Magic Kingdom/Epcot/MGM are all worth visiting but Animal Planet or whatever is not worth the price of admission unless you're with kids who are nuts about lions and the like.

In a similar vein...

Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing

by John Holbo on October 7, 2009

More translation mysteries tonight. Conservapedia is calling for a Conservative Bible Project.

As of 2009, there is no fully conservative translation of the Bible which satisfies the following ten guidelines:[2]

1. Framework against Liberal Bias: providing a strong framework that enables a thought-for-thought translation without corruption by liberal bias

2. Not Emasculated: avoiding unisex, “gender inclusive” language, and other modern emasculation of Christianity

3. Not Dumbed Down: not dumbing down the reading level, or diluting the intellectual force and logic of Christianity; the NIV is written at only the 7th grade level[3]

4. Utilize Powerful Conservative Terms: using powerful new conservative terms as they develop;[4] defective translations use the word “comrade” three times as often as “volunteer”; similarly, updating words which have a change in meaning, such as “word”, “peace”, and “miracle”.

5. Combat Harmful Addiction: combating addiction by using modern terms for it, such as “gamble” rather than “cast lots”;[5] using modern political terms, such as “register” rather than “enroll” for the census

6. Accept the Logic of Hell: applying logic with its full force and effect, as in not denying or downplaying the very real existence of Hell or the Devil.

7. Express Free Market Parables; explaining the numerous economic parables with their full free-market meaning

8. Exclude Later-Inserted Liberal Passages: excluding the later-inserted liberal passages that are not authentic, such as the adulteress story

9. Credit Open-Mindedness of Disciples: crediting open-mindedness, often found in youngsters like the eyewitnesses Mark and John, the authors of two of the Gospels

10. Prefer Conciseness over Liberal Wordiness: preferring conciseness to the liberal style of high word-to-substance ratio; avoid compound negatives and unnecessary ambiguities; prefer concise, consistent use of the word “Lord” rather than “Jehovah” or “Yahweh” or “Lord God.”

They are basically planning to start with the King James Bible and then just make it say what they think it should. Not only do they apparently regard it as inessential to involve anyone with knowledge of the original texts – although they off-handedly contemplate this as a possibility – they are touting ‘mastery of English’ as one of the benefits those who help with the project can expect to reap. What can one say? I find it hard to believe the whole thing isn’t some sort of elaborate, Borat-style hoax. Could it be?

http://crookedtimber.org/2009/10/07/father...they-are-doing/

Conservapedia

They are basically planning to start with the King James Bible and then just make it say what they think it should.

No different to every translation of the Bible in existence, I suppose.