Cover story on The Times today

trophyshy

My standard procedure has always been to not give a fuck, since I'm not having kids and I hate most people. Friends keep on popping out bairns, though, so I may be forced to actually start caring, the selfish bastards.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate the selfish prick stance but then again it's human beings to a tee, isn't it?

was that aimed at me?

You're coming across as more of an arrogant prick tbh :P

Edited by alex

I hate the selfish prick stance but then again it's human beings to a tee, isn't it?

was that aimed at me?

You're coming across as more of an arrogant prick tbh :P

I feel it balances the debate :P

My standard procedure has always been to not give a fuck, since I'm not having kids and I hate most people

That's pretty much my stance - my pesky conscience keeps trying though.

I keep having these feelings of solidarity with the rest of the human race and admire a lot of our achievements only to actually interact with others and realise it's not worth it.

I've yet to meet a vegetarian with a convincing argument as to why they don't eat meat.

Do you want them to convince you like? That probably explains your statement above.

I've yet to meet a vegetarian with a convincing argument as to why they don't eat meat.

Do you want them to convince you like? That probably explains your statement above.

Don't get touchy now. It's just that a lot of the time I don't understand their reasons behind it. Not to mention that most of the veggies I've met have generally been a bit weird.

And as for the vegetarians who refuse to cook meat for others, they can fuck right off.

Don't get touchy now. It's just that a lot of the time I don't understand their reasons behind it. Not to mention that most of the veggies I've met have generally been a bit weird.

And as for the vegetarians who refuse to cook meat for others, they can fuck right off.

I meant preaching to people rarely works. It's something that has be about individual choice. You're never going to be convinced by the arguments unless they touch on a fundamental belief you hold, whether it be animal welfare, the environment or a variety of issues like that.

It's something that has be about individual choice. You're never going to be convinced by the arguments unless they touch on a fundamental belief you hold, whether it be animal welfare, the environment or a variety of issues like that.

I understand most of the arguments but completely refusing to eat meat just seems a bit extreme to me. Concerns about animal welfare/ethics etc. can be taken care of by being discerning about where you buy your meat.

Concerns about animal welfare/ethics etc. can be taken care of by being discerning about where you buy your meat.

The animal still has to be dead though, right? Is that not an ethical concern?

Perhaps you're right and we could reduce the number of cattle raised to feed the worlds population by eating human meat as well.

It's something that has be about individual choice. You're never going to be convinced by the arguments unless they touch on a fundamental belief you hold, whether it be animal welfare, the environment or a variety of issues like that.

I understand most of the arguments but completely refusing to eat meat just seems a bit extreme to me. Concerns about animal welfare/ethics etc. can be taken care of by being discerning about where you buy your meat.

That's totally fair enough though. It just depends what you believe in / how much you care about something. If you feel really strongly about not eating meat you're possibly going to go down the road of vegetarianism. Likewise, you might really like the taste of meat or certain types of meat and take a strong interest in making sure that the animal you eat was reared in a humane way. Of course that's normally more expensive but that's another matter. I don't see those two views as being diametrically opposed in any way. However, if someone thinks that the idea of an animal living just so it can be killed for a person to eat it is wrong, then that's a convincing argument for them never to eat the stuff.

Concerns about animal welfare/ethics etc. can be taken care of by being discerning about where you buy your meat.

The animal still has to be dead though, right? Is that not an ethical concern?

However, if someone thinks that the idea of an animal living just so it can be killed for a person to eat it is wrong, then that's a convincing argument for them never to eat the stuff.

And that's the one I'm not convinced by, hence why I don't agree with a lot of vegetarian's train of thought.

I know its a bit childish but I'm a fan of the "if we didn't eat them (ie breed them for that purpose), domesticated animals wouldn't exist" pov.

As someone who eats a lot of fish I suppose I'm a bit lazy in thinking the stocks are inexhaustible which I know they aren't.