The Guitar Thread

Tom

3 minutes ago, sammynb said:

You never seen a Mosrite before Scotty?

I dig that guitar and that's even before knowing that Johnny (the right wing nut job) Ramone loved them.

MV5BYmU3Yjk3YzMtZGYxOC00MjQyLWI1ZDYtMTk3

Our peso is worth about 50-52p, so like Tom says it's about £200

I mentioned the 'copters and Entombed a few posts back. Nicke Andersson rocked a mossrite in the early 'copters heydey. Dunno a thing about his political slant but I wouldn't be surprised if they were suspect like a lot of that scene. Hell of a songwriter though.

36 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

I mentioned the 'copters and Entombed a few posts back. Nicke Andersson rocked a mossrite in the early 'copters heydey. Dunno a thing about his political slant but I wouldn't be surprised if they were suspect like a lot of that scene. Hell of a songwriter though.

I remember reading Johnny coming from a US military family and that had a lot to do with the way he was, to him the way they dressed was his uniform and if you weren't ina leather jacket, jeans and connies, you weren't a punk.

They played here a lot in the 80s/early 90s and were idolised by all the local punk bands but Johnny was an arsehole wanker that, I think it was Frenzal Rhomb had some merchandise shirts and stickers made up with, Johnny Ramone was ina fucken good band but he was a cunt.

Edit: turns out it was one of their songs.

Video link broken but I think get your point @sammynb. I knew a few kids that were "army brats", not necessarily horrible people, just quite hard to get along with.  One of them I was really friendly with for a good while in my early 20's, when I was growing up. Described himself once as a "social chameleon" which should've been a warning sign. Unsurprisingly he turned out to be a mad racist.

As an aside, A few months ago I noticed some kid cutting about here wearing an Exploited t-shirt, couldn't have been much older than my pre-teen kid and I had to do a double take to be sure it was an Exploited shirt being sported by a pre-teen in 2023. Got me thinking about my own takes on stuff like Phil Anselmo's antics, Clapton reciting Enoch Powell and how often Ive regurgitated shite phrases like "separate the art from the artist." rather than just admitting "aye I agree they're awful people but I really don't want to think about that too much because they wrote some really good songs".

One of the few good things about the social media age  (don't get me wrong, I genuinely believe most of those platforms are absolute poison) is that folk like Anselmo and Wattie Buchan's wouldn't fly and they wouldn't have been able to bury and deny so much of it for so long. Every time Wattie said "that's a lie, I never had a swastica tattoo, we were never a nazi punk band" there would have been scores of folk sharing photos of his old tattoos. "This you, Wattie?" 

23 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

"separate the art from the artist." rather than just admitting "aye I agree they're awful people but I really don't want to think about that too much because they wrote some really good songs".

Yes, there's a lot of shite we can look back on and realise the excuses we had for it, weren't valid to justify things - but that's, hopefully, the wisdom of age and the growth of society to stand up against such views, well at least until Trump came along and made it fashionable to be part of it.

30 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

Wattie Buchan

Talking about military folk and (some of) their fucked up, right wing views.

55 minutes ago, sammynb said:

Yes, there's a lot of shite we can look back on and realise the excuses we had for it, weren't valid to justify things - but that's, hopefully, the wisdom of age and the growth of society to stand up against such views, well at least until Trump came along and made it fashionable to be part of it.

I was doing something similar in the wake of Anselmo's white power thing. Not trying to justify, but simply not condemning it as much as I should have. Pussy footing around the issue saying stuff like "everyone's always known Phil was a headcase, this isn't news. Read his lyrics, he's been hiding in plain sight"

Mate of mines opened my eyes a bit by just bluntly saying "of course its news. Nae cunt is saying Charles Bronson can't paint but this guy just sieg heiled and shouted White Power on stage after decades of denying he was a white supremacist."

Funny thing about Wattie is that he vehemently denied ever having Nazi tattoo's, except for the times he was asked about it in countries with somewhat active fascist groups.

Anyway I'm getting a bit ranty here and this is veering off topic. Neither Anselmo or Buchan even played guitar and Wattie Buchan is the musical equivalent of a retired boxer that took one too many blows to the head.

Edited by Blastronaut
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Off to see Mogwai tonight and one of the supports is a local slowcore/post-rock band called A Broken Sail whose releases have all been mastered by David Pajo (Slint/Tortise/Stereolab/Zwan and a whole bunch of other stuff that you would go, really?)

He's also the replacement for Andy Gill in the reformed, original members, Gang of Four, so in the degrees of seperation search I found this, which is a real interesting watch.

• Like 1

I like this guy. He reminds me of me before I had kids and got bored of weed. The arcade machine pedal has piqued my interest, I've been fucking around with the Data Corrupter circuit a bit this week. It's cool but it got me thinking how fucking weird it is that we've now got analog guitar gear trying to emulate 80's and 90's digital sounds, and digital gear doing the complete opposite. It's almost come full circle.

As an aside I also know a guy called Andy Gill, but he was never in Gang of Four to my knowledge. Last I heard he was "fixing broken Dyson's" in the East-End of Glasgow which could mean fucking anything. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

As an aside I also know a guy called Andy Gill, but he was never in Gang of Four to my knowledge. Last I heard he was "fixing broken Dyson's" in the East-End of Glasgow which could mean fucking anything. 

:lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Bought one of these. :lol:

The video above is just a demo of a particular expansion someone's made for it, but it's basically a DAW in a box. Comes preloaded with loads of drum kits, synths, all sorts of shit. And you can plug live instruments into it and record.

It's a sampler too. So you could plug a turntable in and record your own samples if you could be fucked, or just load mp3 or wav files in and chop them up. It's fucking mental. Mint for playing around with.

Mad that the screenshot for their promo video has a pile of floppy discs. I love akai gear for the most part but that's just taking the absolute piss. We've come full circle with digital gear masquerading as old-school analogue.

I'm not shitting on it fwiw. This is just jealousy. I want one. It looks like the compromise between Cubase and a 4-track that aging degenerates like us didn't know wanted. 

Aye, this is specifically what they're calling their "retro" model, hence all that shit. But aye, piss take to claim a bit of super modern tech gear is remotely retro - all the retro means here is they've used the same colour as the original MPCs.

I haven't even got the retro one but this was the only promo vid I could find that didn't have someone that started the video with a "WHAT'S UP GUYS?!" :lol:

It is mint though. I've been trying to learn Ableton but this is so much easier to learn cos it's a self contained unit.

Looks class tbh :lol: 

Very, very futuristic - if i had the money id be after one! 

As it stands…. @Gemmill

Will THIS do the trick for the Helix switches?

28 minutes ago, Tom said:

Looks class tbh :lol: 

Very, very futuristic - if i had the money id be after one! 

As it stands…. @Gemmill

Will THIS do the trick for the Helix switches?

I'm not sure it will! Cos it says "momentary footswitch" on, which would suggest that it only engages while you hold your foot down on the switch. Which I'm guessing is not what you're after!

Actually Tom, I've just looked there and apparently the Stomp manual says that you should use a momentary pedal. The HX software must cater for whether you have it set to momentary or latching.

So I actually think that WOULD work now.

Ah thanks for the help! 

I’ll get one ordered! Just for emergency live situations when Im going to need bring some FX in :lol: 

On 19/03/2024 at 16:33, Gemmill said:

Actually Tom, I've just looked there and apparently the Stomp manual says that you should use a momentary pedal. The HX software must cater for whether you have it set to momentary or latching.

So I actually think that WOULD work now.

That's interesting, even the old line 6 Spider amp footswitches were momentary rather than latching. Bizarrely they connected to the amp with Cat5 cable. 

I hated those amps. They had some weird gimmicky sub octave setting called "Insane" mode that was even less usable than the other models. 

On 24/03/2024 at 12:19, Tom said:

Some canny players on here :lol: 

Thought this was just some hilarious AI generated nonsense but it turns out Mark has an album in the pipeline and these could be guest appearances. 

Still love the idea that Mark Knopflers top guitar hero's are 5 Mark Knopflers, 3 Eric Clapton's and Ringo Starr.

Like he's sat there in his 70's saying "Did I say Mark Knopfler?" "Yes Mark you did, several times".

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody got any interest in Ableton Live Lite? I've got Ableton already but I've bought a couple of things recently where Live Lite came bundled with them so I've got two activation codes going spare.

I think I could just give out the activation codes and you could register them to yourselves.