Burley Sacked

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

You could put Wenger in charge of Scotland and they'd still be pure shite. Their fans have unrealistic demands I think, of the five home nations you'd rank Scotland 5th presently in my view.

You could put Wenger in charge of Scotland and they'd still be pure shite. Their fans have unrealistic demands I think, of the five home nations you'd rank Scotland 5th presently in my view.

They can bleat on about Burley having "lost the players" and other such bollocks all they like - the underlying problem of lack of quality pervades.

They can bleat on about Burley having "lost the players" and other such bollocks all they like - the underlying problem of lack of quality pervades.

When you see Kevin Kyle trudging on, they're not so much hard up, as bankrupt.

I think people will go on about the need to get the most out of the players etc. which you obviously need to do and which Burley struggled to do. But even people who've done that in recent years like Smith and McLeish knew the writing was on the wall, in that you can only do that for so long, and got out while the going was good.

I am not going to claim we are better than we are but having only won 3 games in the last 14 is hardly good enough.

It was only a couple of years ago under both Smith and McLeish we were doing well. Regardless of what you think of rankings we got to 14th having consistently got good results and even some posters on here were complimenting the results and how Scotland were a "decent team" even if we were made up of individuals. Say what you like about the quality not being there but it didnt stop either of the previous two managers doing decent job.

I actually used to quite rate Burley when he was at Ipswich and showed interest in Hearts when he took over there but his decisions and tactics for Scotland have been diabolical.

I think people will go on about the need to get the most out of the players etc. which you obviously need to do and which Burley struggled to do. But even people who've done that in recent years like Smith and McLeish knew the writing was on the wall, in that you can only do that for so long, and got out while the going was good.

To be fair they both got out for financial reasons and you cant blame them. I think the salary for the Scotland managers job is reported to be around £300,000 a year.

To be fair they both got out for financial reasons and you cant blame them. I think the salary for the Scotland managers job is reported to be around £300,000 a year.

Fair enough but I reckon that was only part of their decision. You can only take the current crop of players so far.

1996 was the last decent Scotland side, with a really good spine of Goram, Hendry, McAllister and McCoist. Even the one that beat us at Wembley was shite.

Now George Burley has been sacked as Scotland boss, we look at five of the leading candidates for the job - including Malky MacB***ard, Chip MacShorterse and wee Callum Potter...

Callum Potter

Regarded as one of the very best young Scottish managers, fresh-faced Potter, 11, impressed at Hearts, where he introduced new training methods including passing and not smoking during the warm-ups. But when an opportunity opened up down south at Carshalton Athletic, Potter could not resist the chance to pit his wits against the best the Isthmian League has to offer. "I wanted to test myself at a higher level," he said. Seen as a moderniser, but rumours persist that he is unpopular within the SFA corridors of power because "he looks like a wee bairn and he cannae take a drink".

Malky MacB***ard

In his playing days, MacB***ard was a notoriously uncompromising centre-half who earned a fearsome reputation for brutality on the pitch and for armed robbery off it. Started his career at Third Lanark but was soon snapped up by HMP Barlinnie for aggravated burglary. Since retirement from football, and release from prison, has become a popular fixture on the Scottish after-dinner and chatshow circuit, famous for his quick wit, quick fists and catchphrase "I'll chib you in the face, ya bass". Has vowed to make Scotland a more physical team, with emphasis on set-pieces, fitness and mindless violence.

Gregor Bypass

One of the country's most decorated players, Bypass won everything in a glorious career with some of Europe's biggest and most respected clubs, as well as playing for his Old Firm boyhood favourites. Regarded as a fitness fanatic by his team-mates in Glasgow, Bypass would famously refuse the traditional third helping of deep fried black pudding on match days. He became player-manager but was forced out of the club when he controversially signed a hotel bar bill that included a lemon squash, the first time in the club's long history that a non-McEwan's Export drink had been ordered. Said to be the healthiest man in Scottish football, Bypass is 48 but has the body of a Swedish 88-year-old, as a result of a pioneering 'full-body transplant'.

Chip MacShorterse

Fiery, flame-haired former midfield ratter who has been a fixture on the managerial merry-go-round of England's Hellenic League Division One for years. Enjoys legendary cut and thrust with the press, punctuating post-match interviews with legendarily quirky, acerbic asides like: "Yeah, maybe our defending was a bit lax - but what about your mum?"; "If I'm under pressure, what about your mum?" and "Please stop asking me questions, I am going to cry." Some doubts as to whether he would leave highly-lucrative television punditry gig on BBC Fair Isle - rumoured to be worth a one-figure sum annually - for return to the pressures of management.

Jimmy Auld

Massively respected within the game, it is said that 'what Jimmy Auld doesn't know about football management could be written on the back of a postage stamp, assuming the postage stamp was the size of Dundee and the writing was really, really small'. As a young manager, Auld won the Title 27 times in 45 seasons - an incredible feat even allowing for the fact that no other teams were permitted in the League during this period due to religious intolerance. Has previously managed the national side as a caretaker on 94 occasions, although without a win, and there are some concerns that his famous 'hoof it in their baws, laddie' tactics may be found wanting at the highest level.

;)

I am not going to claim we are better than we are but having only won 3 games in the last 14 is hardly good enough.

It was only a couple of years ago under both Smith and McLeish we were doing well. Regardless of what you think of rankings we got to 14th having consistently got good results and even some posters on here were complimenting the results and how Scotland were a "decent team" even if we were made up of individuals. Say what you like about the quality not being there but it didnt stop either of the previous two managers doing decent job.

I actually used to quite rate Burley when he was at Ipswich and showed interest in Hearts when he took over there but his decisions and tactics for Scotland have been diabolical.

This.

We just wan't to look like we know what we are doing and that we give a shit and it was not happening and never looked like happening under Burley.

Lol, JFK's after the Scotland job now according to SSN ;)

;)

FUCKING PRICELESS!!!!!

I hope the twat gets the job. imagine the 1st press conference...................

:D

Edited by AvatarAxeman

Any manager who puts the boot into Wee Barry Ferguson is fine by me. Burley couldn't rouse any perforances from a truely awful squad, and I doubt any other manager can. Even Exlax Ferguson would struggle. It'll go to some Scottish pygmy like Jim Jefferies, or an SPL based never-was like Terry Butcher. I doubt they'll hire a non-British or Irish manager after the 'success' of Berti Vogts. If JFK got the job I'd laugh more than when he took over @St.JamesPark.

Might be Hiddink now, given the fact he seems to enjoy these impossible international tasks, that'll be the finish of him and Russia now after last night.