Toon world cup bid successful

KingHarkinian

Perhaps it's being reduced after the tournament. Still daft logic either way to have a pop given we couldn't even fill it when KK came back and we were in the PL.

if we were doing well, the crowds would come back. we were getting 52k for a decade when the team was shite every year apart from 3 or 4 under sir bob. 60k would be no problem if we were top 6 material again plus it would make the ground less lop sided.

would plymouth, bristol, milton keynes or even forest ever get crowds half that big? maybe forest. but surely not the others

You've already made that point, no need to repeat yourself.

i take it you agree with the sentiment then

Struggling with basic comprehension then?

I'm quite happy both Newcastle and Sunderland got it. More football for the North East if we get it.

However I think Sunderland need to do a bit work on the area surrounding the ground and perhaps give the clientele a better place to shop than joplins. :lol:

Too fucking right they do. The area around the ground/St. Peters is a right shit tip. The city centre isn't much better.

Perhaps it's being reduced after the tournament. Still daft logic either way to have a pop given we couldn't even fill it when KK came back and we were in the PL.

if we were doing well, the crowds would come back. we were getting 52k for a decade when the team was shite every year apart from 3 or 4 under sir bob. 60k would be no problem if we were top 6 material again plus it would make the ground less lop sided.

would plymouth, bristol, milton keynes or even forest ever get crowds half that big? maybe forest. but surely not the others

hardly. you didn't answer my questions. if you disagree why not tell me why?

I'm quite happy both Newcastle and Sunderland got it. More football for the North East if we get it.

However I think Sunderland need to do a bit work on the area surrounding the ground and perhaps give the clientele a better place to shop than joplins. :lol:

Too fucking right they do. The area around the ground/St. Peters is a right shit tip. The city centre isn't much better.

any tourist with half a brain would stay in Newcastle and get the Metro/train to the SoS for a match.

any tourist with half a brain would stay in Newcastle and get the Metro/train to the SoS for a match.

correct...I mean how could Darren Bent and Fraser Campbell be wrong? :(

i don't get why sunderland is such a shit heap. you'd think civic leaders would try and do something about it. it must make you bitter to be a mackem living in a hole that's just down the road from a town that's buzzing. that's only going to be exacerbated by the fact that the town's best football players live in newcastle.

Part of me is gutted that Sunderland got accepted because I missed the meltdown that would have occurred on the SMB

Fuckers.

They are utter retards over there like.

I do occasionally go over for a browse and a good 50 % of the threads are about Newcastle. :lol:.

Living in Leicester, the town's folk aren't exactly chuffed that only one of the 3 major teams in the area where chosen - MK has had a huge bearing on that because they've never been in a previous bid.

The plans for a new Ashton gate look like St Mary's / Walkers / Pride Park etc anyway. Talk about lack of character in the grounds chosen. St James win's hands down and that's setting aside my bias.

Well, you were on about asking the govt. for the cash. Firstly it wouldn't really add anything to the bid. Wembley and OT are certain to get the semis so the best we could hope for is a quarter final and 52k would do for one of them. Also, if we're still in the doldrums (which is more likely than not given our current plight) we won't get 60k, therefore it would be a massive waste of public money. Supposing we're back seriously challenging for honours (which is what it would take to fill 60k plus imo) we'd need a massive cash investment. If the owner can supply that, they should also be the ones paying for any extension. It would arguably be an equally massive waste of public money to basically hand over millions to a spendthrift billionaire. Factor in that the govt. is skint for the foreseeable and in any scenario I don't think they would or should stump up the cash it would require (iirc the last expansion cost more than the initial ground redevelopment which took SJP to a 36k all-seater stadium). Don't assume I think building a huge ground for Plymouth Argyle is a good idea either btw, especially if the taxpayer is footing the bill.

Edited by alex

Well, you were on about asking the govt. for the cash. Firstly it wouldn't really add anything to the bid. Wembley and OT are certain to get the semis so the best we could hope for is a quarter final and 52k would do for one of them. Also, if we're still in the doldrums (which is more likely than not given our current plight) we won't get 60k, therefore it would be a massive waste of public money. Supposing we're back seriously challenging for honours (which is what it would take to fill 60k plus imo) we'd need a massive cash investment. If the owner can supply that, they should also be the ones paying for any extension. It would arguably be an equally massive waste of public money to basically hand over millions to a spendthrift billionaire. Factor in that the govt. is skint for the foreseeable and in any scenario I don't think they would or should stump up the cash it would require (iirc the last expansion cost more than the initial ground redevelopment which took SJP to a 36k all-seater stadium). Don't assume I think building a huge ground for Plymouth Argyle is a good idea either btw, especially if the taxpayer is footing the bill.

that's better! some good points there and you're probably right about us not getting the money, even if we were to ask for financial help redeveloping the ground - something that you rightly point out is unlikely to happen as long as ashley is in charge or we're in the championship. even if we were doing better the costs involved adding about 6-8k seats might not stack up either.

it's a shame we never extended the gallowgate when the other two sides were done. imo it would have given the stadium a more complete look. it would be good to see it done one day though. i'm certain we'd fill a ground that size if we were doing half decent.

i do still think it's bizarre to give towns like milton keynes and plymouth the nod.

Edited by Dr Gloom

Imagine being a player of a 'lesser' nation in 2018 and being over the moon in getting to the wc (if it's in England), and then finding out your games will be played in Milton Keynes and Plymouth. What a fuckin' bummer!!!

Aye, it's like when you read about the classic North Korea - Italy game in 1966 then realise it took place in bloody Middlesbrough...