Why Newcastle fans are one of the marvels of the modern game - and I've got the numbers to prove it

TheMoog

I know you dont like Leeds Stevie but they got 38k a couple of weeks ago, not bad for a League One game? I understand what youre saying though with the shite we have had to go through from out board, yet were still there!

I have to say that Sheff Weds fans have had similar to us and they get on average 20k.

How many of them were Huddersfield fans?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know you dont like Leeds Stevie but they got 38k a couple of weeks ago, not bad for a League One game? I understand what youre saying though with the shite we have had to go through from out board, yet were still there!

Leeds got 38k versus Liverpool, 36k against Huddersfield and 31k against Charlton. They clearly come out for the big games. The rest of the games they average about 22k (which is still pretty impressive, given the trauma they've gone through).

I have to say that Sheff Weds fans have had similar to us and they get on average 20k.

Leeds only allocated them 2k.

Having read the mackem board's post(24 pages- and they aren't obsessed? :( ), one thing kept jarring in my mind.

They repeatedly put our superior support down to " obvious geographical advantages".....

... try as I might I can't think what they are?

10 miles separates us, surely any 'geographical' factors which apply to us, also apply to them?

Hmmm, not bitter then <_<

Edited by Monkeys Fist

Leeds support is abysmal, it always has been, they couldn't even regularly fill the ground when they won the league in 1992. What made you think they had 38,000 in against Huddersfield? The crowd was 36,000 and 4,000 of those were from Huddersfield. So over 4,000 below capacity against a team 14 miles away who scored more goals in that league than anyone else, and could give them a really difficult test, a game like I say against a club 14 miles away, a proper derby game, nothing like Toon v Boro. These Leeds and Huddersfield supporters live on each others toes in the context of League One its a grudge game, especially as Huddersfield are a more historical club than Leeds, Leeds are utterly dominating League One and they're playing one of the best sides in the division who are their proper derby rivals, and only 32000 Leeds can be arsed to go with the game not televised. Their next game no doubt will be watched by the typical 17-22000 they always get, and this from a club with 2.5m people within 15 miles of the ground. Shit fans, shit club, always will be.

The corner bit is 2,300 alone, and they had half way along behind the goal.

The corner bit is 2,300 alone, and they had half way along behind the goal.

Im only going on reports and one of the lads here who is a Huddersfield fan who went to the game

Leeds ''catchment area'' is basically Yorkshire other than Sheffield.

People from Huddersfield and Halifax, all around support(ed) Leeds.

Not really

Youre right with the (re) bit. They used to have a large catchment area but now they are more localised.

Even Leeds itself, just Leeds has a population of 771,000, that's just Leeds. Newcastle has a population of 259,000. Now I accept that's misleading cos you could easily class North Tyneside as Newcastle but even then that only gives us a direct catchment area of 500,000, and don't forget our neighbours, who we compete with for support are by far a bigger and more passionately supported club than any side in Yorkshire including Leeds.

Leeds should be getting 70,000 every week regardless what division they're in, but they're a mickey mouse club, always will be, Leeds has NEVER been a footballing city and never will be.

Even Leeds itself, just Leeds has a population of 771,000, that's just Leeds. Newcastle has a population of 259,000. Now I accept that's misleading cos you could easily class North Tyneside as Newcastle but even then that only gives us a direct catchment area of 500,000, and don't forget our neighbours, who we compete with for support are by far a bigger and more passionately supported club than any side in Yorkshire including Leeds.

Leeds should be getting 70,000 every week regardless what division they're in, but they're a mickey mouse club, always will be, Leeds has NEVER been a footballing city and never will be.

Putting it in numbers of population aye. isnt the Metropolitan area 800k? For Tyneside that is.

Putting it in numbers of population aye. isnt the Metropolitan area 800k? For Tyneside that is.

Merseyside 1.4m, just over 1m for Tyne and Wear. We generally get bigger gates than Liverpool (without the amounts of OOT's they get), and Sunderland almost always get more than Everton.

Being honest you have to take some cultural differences into account - I think in Yorkshire and Lancashire there are a lot of people who could be football fans who watch Rugby League instead - Bradford for example is a city which is almost as big as Leeds and bigger than Newcastle but has never really had a football fan base.

People do use the "one club city" to try and excuse our crowds to an extend so in the interests of fairness but not reality you could count Tyne & Wear as the "city" and say there are two clubs (bear with me for a minute Stevie) - this then gets over the way South Tyneside has fans of both and also the pockets of Mackems in in the Northumberland old mining towns. In that context I think it shows that both clubs piss all over the rest of the country even if that does include some praise for them lot.

I still think within that context we're better fans than Mackems though.

I hate the mackems who come out with this ''Geordies think football was invented in 1992'' rubbish. Obviously the Keegan effect had a strong influence on the crowd, especially after boycoutts but Sunderland's crowd doubled between 1997 and 1999.

So when was their football invented?

Why did they average 13k in '87 but 46k in '02? :(

I hate the mackems who come out with this ''Geordies think football was invented in 1992'' rubbish. Obviously the Keegan effect had a strong influence on the crowd, especially after boycoutts but Sunderland's crowd doubled between 1997 and 1999.

So when was their football invented?

Why did they average 13k in '87 but 46k in '02? :(

I hate it when they whinge about people in South Durham supporting us calling them Keegan Mags or whatever - I started going by train everywhere in 1982 and there were always loads of lads from Darlo/Bishop Aukland etc who followed us.

Don't get me wrong, I myself have criticised our support at times, in terms of quality rather than quantity but we're still better than anyone else. Any uber neo toon fan reading that who is cringing because it's cool to pull every aspect of the club to pieces read it again. WE'RE STILL BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE.

I challenge someone to tell me a club on earth to go through what we've been through...

* Sacking of a legend in favour of a universally hated figure

* Absolute proof of scores of occasions we have been lied to

* Promises not delivered

* Four managers in one season

* Club for sale, then not, then back up, then not

* Laughed at by every football supporter in Britain for the circus that has went on over the last 3 or 4 years

* An almost universally national celebration of our relegation

* Players earning 100k a week who care less about the club than horses

* No money to spend

* No leadership at boardroom level

* No apparent long term aims

* Comparitively speaking reasonably expensive pricing systems which remain, which rake in far more money than at least half the Premiership

* Joey Barton

* Champions League to Championship in 5 years and 9 months

....someone tell me a club on earth who would be averaging 44,000, getting 50,000 at some games in the second tier of their football, with all of that to contend with.

I'll guestimate now what clubs would get:

Liverpool 20,000 absolute tops

Celtic 15,000 tops it's happened before

Arsenal 25,000

Everton 13,000 it used to happen in the top flight

Villa 10,000

Leeds 18,000 it happened to them, they can't even be discussed in the same breath as us.

Tottenham :(

Who knows what we would get if we had another two years down here, my view is 35-40,000, we have proved without question, without pause and without doubt when we sing "we are the loyalest football supporters the world has ever had" that is exactly what we are, and people who mention catchment areas....fuck off, this isn't a big catchment area, we have to share 1m with Sunderland, all of the clubs like Aston Villa, Everton, yids, even Leeds have a bigger direct catchment area than us. We have the best support in football and it's exactly why so many people try to shoot us down in flames, envy, jealousy and insecurity.

Absolutely cracking post Stevie <_<

They repeatedly put our superior support down to " obvious geographical advantages".....

The geographical advantage is that their town city is a shitehole and the toon isn't :(

The geographical advantage is that their town city is a shitehole and the toon isn't :(

It is a medieval midden of a town. But that's down to them being filthy beggars. <_<

Nowt to do with geography.

It is a medieval midden of a town. But that's down to them being filthy beggars. <_<

...in which case the geographical advantage is that the toon isn't in Sunderland :lol:

...in which case the geographical advantage is that the toon isn't in Sunderland :lol:

The right answer ! :yahoo:

Being honest you have to take some cultural differences into account - I think in Yorkshire and Lancashire there are a lot of people who could be football fans who watch Rugby League instead - Bradford for example is a city which is almost as big as Leeds and bigger than Newcastle but has never really had a football fan base.

People do use the "one club city" to try and excuse our crowds to an extend so in the interests of fairness but not reality you could count Tyne & Wear as the "city" and say there are two clubs (bear with me for a minute Stevie) - this then gets over the way South Tyneside has fans of both and also the pockets of Mackems in in the Northumberland old mining towns. In that context I think it shows that both clubs piss all over the rest of the country even if that does include some praise for them lot.

I still think within that context we're better fans than Mackems though.

The Bulls get shite crowds now though in they last few seasons. They only get big crowds when we go over. It was only in the eraly days of the SL era when Noble was coach and when BN were big when they got big crowds.

Wigan get more gates at the football than the Rugby. Manchester United get bigger gates than Salford.

The only big gates in SL are

Leeds

St Helens

Hull FC

Warrington

Wakefield

and I would guess thats the order they go in too. If Saints ploughed money into a decent stadia I would see that figure rise slightly, because their ground is a SHIT hole.