Swine Flu Jab

maggiespaws

I've got a shit storm of work for the foreseeable future so am unable to post here much now (thanks for helping persuade me into doing a Health Economics diploma on top of my 9 to 5 Chez you twat :razz:), but felt I'd have to interject here to counter some of Parky's ludicrous and frankly dangerous advice.

Parky has no qualifications or understanding regarding healthcare in general (or vaccination specifically) whatsoever, and tends to believe any crackpot theory going, the madder the better. A good example is HIV not being the cause of AIDs iirc. He's opinionated, but not remotely balanced or knowledgeable.

Obviously, nobody should take advice from an internet message board regarding any health matters in any case, go and discuss it with your doctor if you're concerned, don't listen to internet loons.

I SAID EARLIER THE RISKS WERE SMALL NOW FUCK OFF

Aye, that bit wasn't bollocks though ;)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very professionally put that man ;)

Can you imagine saying to your lass "Nah, lets go against the advice of the doctor and not get jab. Why? Because I read someones own opinion on a football forum"

Well don't ask for it then.

If someone bases their personal health care decisions on the opinions of a 'message board loon' they deserve the Darwin award anyway.

Very professionally put that man :razz:

Can you imagine saying to your lass "Nah, lets go against the advice of the doctor and not get jab. Why? Because I read someones own opinion on a football forum"

Well don't ask for it then.

If someone bases their personal health care decisions on the opinions of a 'message board loon' they deserve the Darwin award anyway.

Quite. ;)

In other news parents discuss their worries and experiences and get stoned for it.

In fairness, I dont think anyone is making any decisions based on peoples responses on here. We've already made the decision to get the jab although I must admit I've personally started to hesitate. I've not even voiced this to the wor lass yet.

Personally, I started this thread just to share thoughts and see what other people were thinking. It seems I'm not alone in my hesitancy.

I might be over-racting tbh (probably) but this is the first time we've had ot make this kind of decision. Matt has had all the other recommended jabs to date IIRC and we've hesitated about this one because of the mixed feeling about it.

My sister in law is a nurse and she was given the jab. It made her sick although to be fair I think that was the live vaccine rather than the one Matt's being offered.

I forgot to mention earlier that when Swine Flu was doing the rounds last year, Matt got ill. The Doctors prescribed Tamiflu as a precaution as he had more than just a cold type bug (v high temp, floppy etc). It comes in capsule form which we had to open and mix with various things to get him to take it. It's bitter as fuck and it was a nightmare getting him to take it.

...and Chez will tell you Tamiflu more or less useless.

Absolutely.

I'd recommend a long sweaty wank under a massive duvet sitting next to the radiator as being equally effective.

I've got a shit storm of work for the foreseeable future so am unable to post here much now (thanks for helping persuade me into doing a Health Economics diploma on top of my 9 to 5 Chez you twat :razz:), but felt I'd have to interject here to counter some of Parky's ludicrous and frankly dangerous advice.

Parky has no qualifications or understanding regarding healthcare in general (or vaccination specifically) whatsoever, and tends to believe any crackpot theory going, the madder the better. A good example is HIV not being the cause of AIDs iirc. He's opinionated, but not remotely balanced or knowledgeable.

Obviously, nobody should take advice from an internet message board regarding any health matters in any case, go and discuss it with your doctor if you're concerned, don't listen to internet loons.

I don't talk bollocks when it comes to parents and their children. I have a clear conscience to every post in this thread I've made.

I've got a shit storm of work for the foreseeable future so am unable to post here much now (thanks for helping persuade me into doing a Health Economics diploma on top of my 9 to 5 Chez you twat ;)), but felt I'd have to interject here to counter some of Parky's ludicrous and frankly dangerous advice.

What like me and you? :razz:

In 20 years time you are going to thank me, spending resources on healthcare will be an issue until humans die out or leave the planet.

Tbf to Parky there is some consideration required on the risk-benefits of the vaccine which as was noted by the Doctor probably depends on your likely exposure. If your exposure is above average then your risk-benefit says get vaccinated.

Only kidding, i'm enjoying it and it will be useful. It is added work and stress though - particularly the 3 hour written exams I have to do for the first time in over a decade....

Re: vaccination, there may be a risk-benefit involved, but I think it's almost always skewed towards the benefit side of things. And then there's the social responsibility of trying to achieve herd immunity.

I've recently written quite a few guidelines on the diseases that the childhood immunization programme protects against. Far from being the benign conditions many people imagine, a lot of these (measles for instance) can have truly horrific complications. I can understand a parent's fear of actively damaging their child through vaccination, but on the flip side, how would you feel if you passively let your child die from meningitis C?

I don't talk bollocks when it comes to parents and their children. I have a clear conscience to every post in this thread I've made.

But you have nothing to inform your opinion on. You talk absolute shite most the time which is fairly entertaining and harmless, not in this case though.

I've got a shit storm of work for the foreseeable future so am unable to post here much now (thanks for helping persuade me into doing a Health Economics diploma on top of my 9 to 5 Chez you twat ;)), but felt I'd have to interject here to counter some of Parky's ludicrous and frankly dangerous advice.

What like me and you? :)

In 20 years time you are going to thank me, spending resources on healthcare will be an issue until humans die out or leave the planet.

Tbf to Parky there is some consideration required on the risk-benefits of the vaccine which as was noted by the Doctor probably depends on your likely exposure. If your exposure is above average then your risk-benefit says get vaccinated.

Only kidding, i'm enjoying it and it will be useful. It is added work and stress though - particularly the 3 hour written exams I have to do for the first time in over a decade....

Re: vaccination, there may be a risk-benefit involved, but I think it's almost always skewed towards the benefit side of things. And then there's the social responsibility of trying to achieve herd immunity.

I've recently written quite a few guidelines on the diseases that the childhood immunization programme protects against. Far from being the benign conditions many people imagine, a lot of these (measles for instance) can have truly horrific complications. I can understand a parent's fear of actively damaging their child through vaccination, but on the flip side, how would you feel if you passively let your child die from meningitis C?

Of course. Its the uncertainty i guess for a lot of parents. When they ask, what are the long-term risks? the answer involves clinical experience from the previous mass vaccinations, limited experience from trials, the basic science around the type of adjuvants and kinetic modelling. If you are massively risk-averse* then there is not that much categorical evidence to re-assure you. Hence it rears its head on here.

*Kahneman & Tversky. :razz:

What like me and you? :)

Of course. Its the uncertainty i guess for a lot of parents. When they ask, what are the long-term risks? the answer involves clinical experience from the previous mass vaccinations, limited experience from trials, the basic science around the type of adjuvants and kinetic modelling. If you are massively risk-averse* then there is not that much categorical evidence to re-assure you. Hence it rears its head on here.

*Kahneman & Tversky. :razz:

I'm risk-averse. :)

Just in case what i posted was confusing (and we are being responsible), there are no adjuvants in the H1N1 vaccine. They are used in some vaccines to help boost immune response but not in the current ones afaiaa.

Nothing like a bit of alu to panic the immune response. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Swine Flu Crisis Over, Hotline Shut Down

The swine flu crisis is officially over leaving 411 Britons dead - a fraction of the number feared.

The National Pandemic Flu Service (NPFS) - including the the 24-hour health hotline - will be stood down on Thursday.

The website will also disappear in response to the "steady reduction" in the number of cases, health chiefs have announced.

Critics say the seven-month outbreak - costing an estimated £1bn - has been mishandled by ministers and health officials, with a flawed threat assessment.

Some have accused the World Health Organisation of falling under the influence of pharmaceutical industry giants who have made vast profits from vaccines.

As well as the deaths, there are 124 Britons still in hospital.

The 5,000 cases a week are far below the average for seasonal flu.

Cases have been falling steadily and the most people who have become ill have suffered relatively mild symptoms.

Chief Medical Officer Sir Liam Donaldson has warned against complacency.

And Health Minister Gillian Merron said the NPFS could be re-activated in seven days should it be needed.

People who suspect they have swine flu will be directed to their GP instead of the antiviral collection points from next week, she added.

In a written ministerial statement to MPs, Ms Merron said: "The Department is today announcing the decision to stand down the NPFS with effect from 1am on February 11, 2010.

Call centre will close

"This is being done in response to the steady reduction in the estimated number of swine flu cases in the community and is in line with our overall aim of ensuring the operational response is appropriate to the level of threat posed by the virus."

At the height of the crisis, Sir Liam warned the pandemic might claim 65,000 lives in the UK.

Health Secretary Andy Burnham said 100,000 could be struck down with the disease every day.

Around the world, an estimated 14,000 deaths have been reported - a fraction of the number dying each year from ordinary flu.

Mark Wallace of the Taxpayers' Alliance attacked the large sums of money paid to pharmaceutical companies for the vaccines.

Sir Liam Donaldson

He told Sky News Online: "Understandably everyone was worried about the possible threat of swine flu last year but the government seems to have jumped in with both feet and a large sack of taxpayers' money without thinking it through properly.

"It's amazing that some of these large contracts don't have any get-out clauses built into them.

"As a result we are landed with a large bill for warehouses full of useless vaccines that no-one wants."

But Sir Liam said: "When the virus returns I would very much like to see young children already protected.

"From now on, most deaths from the pandemic flu virus should be regarded as potentially preventable."

A spokesman for the Department of Health said: "This is the first time we have had a vaccine to protect people while a pandemic virus has been circulating, so it has undoubtedly helped us save lives."

• 1 year later...