Taylor Crocked?

Martin

there are plenty more shite owners, the vast majority of clubs are owned by shite owners which is why anybody who has even a half decent capability about them, especially when trying to tap a club with the potential that we have, piss all over the rest and qualify for europe regularly over a period of 15 years.

Rose tinted specs.

No-one was complaining about anything in '96 or '97 when we were qualifying for the champions league and hadn't dropped out of the top 6 since promotion. But in Shepherd's ten years in charge we averaged tenth place with one of the highest wage bills in the league that was constantly growing. There was only 2 top 4 finishes in that decade and 6 bottom half finishes.

Aye, all that debt wasn't much in return for a couple of FA cup final twattings and half a dozen games in the champions league. Good times undoubtedly compared with now, but for the outlay it should've been so much better. Sir Bob fell into Sheps lap and we should be greatful for that, but when you look at Sheps other appointments he's as bad as any other proprieter the clubs had. What would a Wenger or an O'Neil have acheived with the loot Shep gave to Souness in 2005?.... :)

failure to give credit where it is due for getting Bobby Robson..........I've seen this before though

If you check the record books, we had the 5th highest average league placing, only 4 teams qualified for europe more and instead of blaming the board/chairman for losing 2 FA Cup Finals why not blame the players for poor performance and the managers for tactics, team selection and preparation. It is bollocks to lay the blame for those things at the foot of the board when they financed and backed their managers to put together teams good enough to win trophies because after that it then becomes the responsibility of the manager and players.

Sorry like, but you are just another person who's dislike of a personality is clouding your whole judgement and common sense.

To be fair to Shep, he did go for Robson after KK left. But Sir Bob, gent that he was, wouldnt break his contract with Barca. Thing is Sir Bob was out of work and looking at retirement when he got the call second time round. It wasnt going to be that difficult to talk an NUFC fanatic to take charge of his boyhood club. He fell into Sheps lap. No real skill or vision needed for that one to be honest.

Who appointed the manager who couldnt get Didi Hamman to face coming out for the second half v Man Utd at Wembley in 99? who appointed the manager who thought it would be a good idea to get into a power struggle with Alan Shearer, the man who truly was in power at the club...and who let Shearer become so powerful within the club in the first place?

And thats just Gullit.

I'm not denying theres nothing in what you say. But to say Shepherd=good/everyone else=bad misses the point that it could and shouldve been so much better for the money he borrowed to finance his ambitions. In that regard he failed.And that debt is the major cause of where we are now. Was it all worth it? Looking at it as a "financial outlay for success on the pitch" equation then no, not in my book anyway.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not denying theres nothing in what you say.

:)

We're all agreed then :razz:

that shouldve been "something" :D

Shep financed his men to the hilt, but they were mostly the wrong appointments. Chucking money like that at the wrong men has put us in divi 2 as far as I can see. Ashley is unutterably fuckin useless, but he didnt do due diligence where two or three other people did and walked away. There was always going to be a financial reckoning for Sheps years at NUFC, its just that Ashley was so impatient he didnt see it coming.

Shep financed his men to the hilt, but they were mostly the wrong appointments. Chucking money like that at the wrong men has put us in divi 2 as far as I can see. Ashley is unutterably fuckin useless, but he didnt do due diligence where two or three other people did and walked away. There was always going to be a financial reckoning for Sheps years at NUFC, its just that Ashley was so impatient he didnt see it coming.

Dalglish and Gullit were top candidates at the time mate, Dalglish had won as much as if not more than Alex Ferguson and Gullit had won the FA Cup and left a team in the 2nd phase of the Champions League and top 4 of the premiership

there are plenty more shite owners, the vast majority of clubs are owned by shite owners which is why anybody who has even a half decent capability about them, especially when trying to tap a club with the potential that we have, piss all over the rest and qualify for europe regularly over a period of 15 years.

Rose tinted specs.

No-one was complaining about anything in '96 or '97 when we were qualifying for the champions league and hadn't dropped out of the top 6 since promotion. But in Shepherd's ten years in charge we averaged tenth place with one of the highest wage bills in the league that was constantly growing. There was only 2 top 4 finishes in that decade and 6 bottom half finishes.

Aye, all that debt wasn't much in return for a couple of FA cup final twattings and half a dozen games in the champions league. Good times undoubtedly compared with now, but for the outlay it should've been so much better. Sir Bob fell into Sheps lap and we should be greatful for that, but when you look at Sheps other appointments he's as bad as any other proprieter the clubs had. What would a Wenger or an O'Neil have acheived with the loot Shep gave to Souness in 2005?.... :)

To be fair it was an incredible time and more than anyone had hoped for in a long time. But Leazes can't see anything in shades of grey. He likes to say he was right and that's that, but that's because he's a WUM. He knows well enough that Shepherd fucked up a whole load to things at Newcastle.

When he keeps harping back to 15 years ago he becomes the epitome of a deluded fuckwit Geordie that gives the rest of us a bad name, harping on about what we did for a brief period 15 years ago as if it was a long term reign we had over the rest of the league.

He forgets that while we were finishing thirteenth and eleventh for years on the run at the turn of the century, Leeds finished in the top 5 five years running under O’Bleary & Ridsdale. They got to the Champions league Semi-Final too, which is more than we ever managed. Those twats still fucked that club over. Any Leeds fan still harping on about how great a chairman Ridsdale was would rightly be considered a daft cunt. I'm sure they all enjoyed the good times while they lasted too though.

On the contrary I think it is the likes of you who gives us a bad name ie booing for finishing 5th, hounding a board who backed their managers and qualified for europe more than anybody but 4 clubs, signing top players oooppps sorry "trophy" players [laughable in itself] and booing at a testimonial for the greatest centre forward of his generation in front of a world wide audience. Fact is the vast majority of clubs would have killed for those 15 years yet idiots like you can't criticise it enough and find any stick you can to beat them with. It may be 20 years, 30 years before this happens again but I bet you will STILL be ridiculously insisting it was all a pile of bollocks and "embarrassing". What a fucking joke.

I've never booed at the match.

I was one of the last to leave the stadium when we finished 5th and most fucked off.

Never hounded the board

Never called it bollocks

never uttered the word "trophy"

never said it was "embarrassing"

Try responding to my post rather than the voices in your head old-timer.

shame you didn't back me up at the time you could have learned something then :razz:

Rose tinted specs.

failure to give credit where it is due for getting Bobby Robson..........I've seen this before though

If you check the record books, we had the 5th highest average league placing, only 4 teams qualified for europe more and instead of blaming the board/chairman for losing 2 FA Cup Finals why not blame the players for poor performance and the managers for tactics, team selection and preparation. It is bollocks to lay the blame for those things at the foot of the board when they financed and backed their managers to put together teams good enough to win trophies because after that it then becomes the responsibility of the manager and players.

Sorry like, but you are just another person who's dislike of a personality is clouding your whole judgement and common sense.

To be fair to Shep, he did go for Robson after KK left. But Sir Bob, gent that he was, wouldnt break his contract with Barca. Thing is Sir Bob was out of work and looking at retirement when he got the call second time round. It wasnt going to be that difficult to talk an NUFC fanatic to take charge of his boyhood club. He fell into Sheps lap. No real skill or vision needed for that one to be honest.

Who appointed the manager who couldnt get Didi Hamman to face coming out for the second half v Man Utd at Wembley in 99? who appointed the manager who thought it would be a good idea to get into a power struggle with Alan Shearer, the man who truly was in power at the club...and who let Shearer become so powerful within the club in the first place?

And thats just Gullit.

I'm not denying theres nothing in what you say. But to say Shepherd=good/everyone else=bad misses the point that it could and shouldve been so much better for the money he borrowed to finance his ambitions. In that regard he failed.And that debt is the major cause of where we are now. Was it all worth it? Looking at it as a "financial outlay for success on the pitch" equation then no, not in my book anyway.

Like I said, failure to give credit to get Bobby Robson. How come he didn't "fall into our laps" during the 1970's and 1980's when he was at Ipswich ?

Gullit at the time had won the FA Cup, left a team chasing the title and was in the 2nd phase of the Champs League. He was very much regarded as outstanding up and coming manager and the vast majority of supporters were more than happy with this appointment and saw it as furthering the ambition to win trophies. So don't change history.

If you seriously think we should not have aimed for success and had those years in europe instead of settling for just staying in the premiership to keep books in order, there is absolutely no point in you supporting a football team because it is all about wanting success on the pitch and going for it.

Edited by LeazesMag

leazes, don't you ever tire of this debate? not many people will ever agree with you . why don't you give it a rest?

and there you have the problem. They, incredibly, STILL don't see .......

Anyway, please tell me what is wrong with hoping someone will come in and repeat what we did under the Halls and Shepherd. Don't you ?

Edited by LeazesMag

leazes, don't you ever tire of this debate? not many people will ever agree with you . why don't you give it a rest?

Anyway, please tell me what is wrong with hoping someone will come in and repeat what we did under the Halls and Shepherd. Don't you ?

Do you think Ridsdale made a mess at Leeds?

Dalglish and Gullit were top candidates at the time mate, Dalglish had won as much as if not more than Alex Ferguson and Gullit had won the FA Cup and left a team in the 2nd phase of the Champions League and top 4 of the premiership

Well thats fair enough, but strangely thats what Shepherd said in his own defence: "no one complained when I appointed them"

In other words, its all down to us, the fans, to rubber stamp his appointments?...is that what he was suggesting?

I think he should've taken responsibility for his poor appointments himself. But as usual, and along with everyone else in the known fuckin universe, it appears he blames us.

do you think the Leeds supporters didn't enjoy the Champs League run or do you think they would have preferred to be an up and down club like the mackems were ?

Thats a ridiculous question and one which Hall and Shepherd bashers frequently ask as a stick to beat them with. I can quite categorically tell you that our period under the Halls and Shepherd beat the crap out of the "settle for mediocrity" eras which preceded it going back to the 1950's.

do you think the Leeds supporters didn't enjoy the Champs League run or do you think they would have preferred to be an up and down club like the mackems were ?

Thats a ridiculous question and one which Hall and Shepherd bashers frequently ask as a stick to beat them with. I can quite categorically tell you that our period under the Halls and Shepherd beat the crap out of the "settle for mediocrity" eras which preceded it going back to the 1950's.

I've said in my post above that they'd have thoroughly enjoyed it...and that we thoroughly enjoyed our shorter less succesful period in the spotlight.

Enjoying something and it being wrong are not mutually exclusive. Actually, it's usually the opposite.

I enjoy smoking a crack pipe, but the long term health benefits are debateable at best.

You seem to think the crack pipe, as well as providing instant and enjoyable thrills, is also one of your five a day.

Edited by Happy Face

i agree with the majority. ashley is the devil. that doesn't mean shepherd was a great chairman. he gave more of a shit than ashley but not being ashley doesn't hide fat fred's mistakes, of which there were many.

there's not much point getting into this again though. you clearly disagree with the majority - fair play. but why bring the same old tired debate up in every thread? doesn't it ever get boring?

I've said in my post above that they'd have thoroughly enjoyed it...and that we thoroughly enjoyed our shorter less succesful period in the spotlight.

Enjoying something and it being wrong are not mutually exclusive. Actually, it's usually the opposite.

I enjoy smoking a crack pipe, but the long term health benefits are debateable at best.

You seem to think the crack pipe, as well as providing instant and enjoyable thrills, is also one of your five a day.

Football is all about striving for success to your utmost capability. If you don't accept this or want it, there is no point in being a football supporter. Ask the mackems and a host of other clubs if they would have swapped their nothing existence to ours for those 15 years. I am telling you now that they would all swap it just like anybody else who has experienced true mediocrity the likes of which we are experiencing now. Would you like new owners to lift the club back to where we were under the Halls and Shepherd or not ?

i agree with the majority. ashley is the devil. that doesn't mean shepherd was a great chairman. he gave more of a shit than ashley but not being ashley doesn't hide fat fred's mistakes, of which there were many.

there's not much point getting into this again though. you clearly disagree with the majority - fair play. but why bring the same old tired debate up in every thread? doesn't it ever get boring?

not that many, and qualifying for europe as often as we did, and the capacity crowds that were attracted back to the club prove it.

Incidentally, who thinks this injury to Taylor could cost us promotion ? Do you think Ashley should or will replace him to try and secure it ? Remember last year we went down without even a whimper after selling all our best players and actually making a transfer profit and not replacing some that were injured which could have saved us ? I know one thing, the previous board would never, ever have sat back and watched that happen.

Football is all about striving for success to your utmost capability. If you don't accept this or want it, there is no point in being a football supporter. Ask the mackems and a host of other clubs if they would have swapped their nothing existence to ours for those 15 years. I am telling you now that they would all swap it just like anybody else who has experienced true mediocrity the likes of which we are experiencing now. Would you like new owners to lift the club back to where we were under the Halls and Shepherd or not ?

So that's a yes, you do think Ridsdale was a good chairman.

Actually, I blame O'Leary too, but give me someone with ambition than someone happy to run a yoyo nothing club anyday.

Would you have swapped our 15 years under the Halls and Shepherd for the mackem years under Bob Murray for instance or the vast majority of other premiership clubs who also got absolutely nowhere ?

Edited by LeazesMag

Actually, I blame O'Leary too, but give me someone with ambition than someone happy to run a yoyo nothing club anyday.

Would you have swapped our 15 years under the Halls and Shepherd for the mackem years under Bob Murray for instance or the vast majority of other premiership clubs who also got absolutely nowhere ?

The kind of ambition that led to them dropping to the third division for the first time in their history.

I wouldn't have swapped those first five years under Hall and Shepherd for much else. The ten years after that was only rarely even close to that though. You can repeat your 15 year mantra all you like, but as I said earlier, in the ten years Shepherd was at the helm we finished in the bottom half more than we finished in the top half. The fact we kept spending money like we were in the champions league was often more idiocy than ambition.

Its like Groundhog day around here.

It's funny to look at threads like this which are as recent as two years old...

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?...3&hl=leazes

But it gets a bit sad when you get four years back and see what a joke Leazes was then...

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?...7&hl=leazes

But it gets a bit sad when you get four years back and see what a joke Leazes was then...

Somethings will never change.

The kind of ambition that led to them dropping to the third division for the first time in their history.

I wouldn't have swapped those first five years under Hall and Shepherd for much else. The ten years after that was only rarely even close to that though. You can repeat your 15 year mantra all you like, but as I said earlier, in the ten years Shepherd was at the helm we finished in the bottom half more than we finished in the top half. The fact we kept spending money like we were in the champions league was often more idiocy than ambition.

Pathetic that people pick up on a very rare occurence such as happened at Leeds to demean the intentions of the Halls and Shepherd such is their desperation to sling anything possible at them. Point is, getting to the Champions League might be something that only happens once in a lifetime, it certainly hasn't happened to any of us yet, do if you seriously think that existing in the top league at best and not attempting it is better you are very sad and I certainly would never agree that you should settle for it. You will be trying to tell me next that you would swap the last 15 years of a club like Everton or Fulham for ours just because they are currently in the premiership and we are not. What a load of bollocks.

Unfortunately.........I was right. You think it is funny then :)