Taylor Crocked?

Martin

leazes, don't you ever tire of this debate? not many people will ever agree with you . why don't you give it a rest?

and there you have the problem. They, incredibly, STILL don't see .......

Anyway, please tell me what is wrong with hoping someone will come in and repeat what we did under the Halls and Shepherd. Don't you ?

Do you think Ridsdale made a mess at Leeds?

do you think the Leeds supporters didn't enjoy the Champs League run or do you think they would have preferred to be an up and down club like the mackems were ?

Thats a ridiculous question and one which Hall and Shepherd bashers frequently ask as a stick to beat them with. I can quite categorically tell you that our period under the Halls and Shepherd beat the crap out of the "settle for mediocrity" eras which preceded it going back to the 1950's.

I've said in my post above that they'd have thoroughly enjoyed it...and that we thoroughly enjoyed our shorter less succesful period in the spotlight.

Enjoying something and it being wrong are not mutually exclusive. Actually, it's usually the opposite.

I enjoy smoking a crack pipe, but the long term health benefits are debateable at best.

You seem to think the crack pipe, as well as providing instant and enjoyable thrills, is also one of your five a day.

Football is all about striving for success to your utmost capability. If you don't accept this or want it, there is no point in being a football supporter. Ask the mackems and a host of other clubs if they would have swapped their nothing existence to ours for those 15 years. I am telling you now that they would all swap it just like anybody else who has experienced true mediocrity the likes of which we are experiencing now. Would you like new owners to lift the club back to where we were under the Halls and Shepherd or not ?

So that's a yes, you do think Ridsdale was a good chairman.

Actually, I blame O'Leary too, but give me someone with ambition than someone happy to run a yoyo nothing club anyday.

Would you have swapped our 15 years under the Halls and Shepherd for the mackem years under Bob Murray for instance or the vast majority of other premiership clubs who also got absolutely nowhere ?

The kind of ambition that led to them dropping to the third division for the first time in their history.

I wouldn't have swapped those first five years under Hall and Shepherd for much else. The ten years after that was only rarely even close to that though. You can repeat your 15 year mantra all you like, but as I said earlier, in the ten years Shepherd was at the helm we finished in the bottom half more than we finished in the top half. The fact we kept spending money like we were in the champions league was often more idiocy than ambition.

Did you also slate the club for not spending money it didn't have in the summer of 2003 ? [forgetting Woodgate in the January of course because it suits you]

The joke is people like you who move the goalposts and want it both ways.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

leazes, don't you ever tire of this debate? not many people will ever agree with you . why don't you give it a rest?

Anyway, please tell me what is wrong with hoping someone will come in and repeat what we did under the Halls and Shepherd. Don't you ?

do you think the Leeds supporters didn't enjoy the Champs League run or do you think they would have preferred to be an up and down club like the mackems were ?

Thats a ridiculous question and one which Hall and Shepherd bashers frequently ask as a stick to beat them with. I can quite categorically tell you that our period under the Halls and Shepherd beat the crap out of the "settle for mediocrity" eras which preceded it going back to the 1950's.

I've said in my post above that they'd have thoroughly enjoyed it...and that we thoroughly enjoyed our shorter less succesful period in the spotlight.

Enjoying something and it being wrong are not mutually exclusive. Actually, it's usually the opposite.

I enjoy smoking a crack pipe, but the long term health benefits are debateable at best.

You seem to think the crack pipe, as well as providing instant and enjoyable thrills, is also one of your five a day.

Football is all about striving for success to your utmost capability. If you don't accept this or want it, there is no point in being a football supporter. Ask the mackems and a host of other clubs if they would have swapped their nothing existence to ours for those 15 years. I am telling you now that they would all swap it just like anybody else who has experienced true mediocrity the likes of which we are experiencing now. Would you like new owners to lift the club back to where we were under the Halls and Shepherd or not ?

Actually, I blame O'Leary too, but give me someone with ambition than someone happy to run a yoyo nothing club anyday.

Would you have swapped our 15 years under the Halls and Shepherd for the mackem years under Bob Murray for instance or the vast majority of other premiership clubs who also got absolutely nowhere ?

The kind of ambition that led to them dropping to the third division for the first time in their history.

I wouldn't have swapped those first five years under Hall and Shepherd for much else. The ten years after that was only rarely even close to that though. You can repeat your 15 year mantra all you like, but as I said earlier, in the ten years Shepherd was at the helm we finished in the bottom half more than we finished in the top half. The fact we kept spending money like we were in the champions league was often more idiocy than ambition.

Pathetic that people pick up on a very rare occurence such as happened at Leeds to demean the intentions of the Halls and Shepherd such is their desperation to sling anything possible at them. Point is, getting to the Champions League might be something that only happens once in a lifetime, it certainly hasn't happened to any of us yet, do if you seriously think that existing in the top league at best and not attempting it is better you are very sad and I certainly would never agree that you should settle for it. You will be trying to tell me next that you would swap the last 15 years of a club like Everton or Fulham for ours just because they are currently in the premiership and we are not. What a load of bollocks.

Leeds was a rare occurence because most chairmen won't risk the long term future of the club for a brief European trip. It's happening more and more with the likes of Portsmouth and West ham in the shit big style.

We never spent a great deal to challenge for ther title and get champions league football. We showed ambition but did so by supporting a proven manager only with the funds we could afford.

Up to the point we signed Tino and Shearer the balance sheet was down by less than £13m. That's because we didn't go around throwing stupid money around. We bought well and trebled our money on the likes of Andy Cole. Building an entire squad on £13m and offsetting £7m on one player isn't throwing money at the situation like Shepherd did in later years.

I wouldn't swap the challenges for anything less than a succesful campaign....your belief that such enjoyable times were built on precariously extended purse strings are completely wrong.

Pathetic that people pick up on a very rare occurence such as happened at Leeds to demean the intentions of the Halls and Shepherd such is their desperation to sling anything possible at them. Point is, getting to the Champions League might be something that only happens once in a lifetime, it certainly hasn't happened to any of us yet, do if you seriously think that existing in the top league at best and not attempting it is better you are very sad and I certainly would never agree that you should settle for it. You will be trying to tell me next that you would swap the last 15 years of a club like Everton or Fulham for ours just because they are currently in the premiership and we are not. What a load of bollocks.

Leeds was a rare occurence because most chairmen won't risk the long term future of the club for a brief European trip. It's happening more and more with the likes of Portsmouth and West ham in the shit big style.

We never spent a great deal to challenge for ther title and get champions league football. We showed ambition but did so by supporting a proven manager only with the funds we could afford.

Up to the point we signed Tino and Shearer the balance sheet was down by less than £13m. That's because we didn't go around throwing stupid money around. We bought well and trebled our money on the likes of Andy Cole. Building an entire squad on £13m and offsetting £7m on one player isn't throwing money at the situation like Shepherd did in later years.

I wouldn't swap the challenges for anything less than a succesful campaign ....your belief that such enjoyable times were built on precariously extended purse strings are completely wrong.

and you, can't apply hindsight which is easy for anybody to do.

I wouldn't swap the challenges for anything less than a succesful campaign ....your belief that such enjoyable times were built on precariously extended purse strings are completely wrong.

Who's using hindsight?

The whole point of you bringing up this tired argument is that people (me included) weren't happy with how Shepherd ran the club when he was in charge and you wouldn't hear a word against him.

We've been having the same argument for years.

Who's using hindsight?

The whole point of you bringing up this tired argument is that people (me included) weren't happy with how Shepherd ran the club when he was in charge and you wouldn't hear a word against him.

indeed. You can't say you would swap it for a successful campaign because nobody knows if it will be successful, how dumb is that ? :razz: Besides, the vast majority of clubs would say qualifying for the champs League and playing in europe was successful. You would yourself now wouldn't you :)

Who's using hindsight?

indeed. You can't say you would swap it for a successful campaign because nobody knows if it will be successful, how dumb is that ? :razz: Besides, the vast majority of clubs would say qualifying for the champs League and playing in europe was successful. You would yourself now wouldn't you :)

You're the one who asked if, in hindsight, i'd swap it for what the mackems had, dipshit!

I've never said i wasn't happy with what success we had, however you define it. But I'll repeat myself again and remind you that most of that success was built on a solid foundation of spending within our means at the time, and to a large degree selling players to subsidise new purchases.

Who's using hindsight?

indeed. You can't say you would swap it for a successful campaign because nobody knows if it will be successful, how dumb is that ? :D Besides, the vast majority of clubs would say qualifying for the champs League and playing in europe was successful. You would yourself now wouldn't you :razz:

You're the one who asked if, in hindsight, i'd swap it for what the mackems had, dipshit!

I've never said i wasn't happy with what success we had, however you define it. But I'll repeat myself again and remind you that most of that success was built on a solid foundation of spending within our means at the time, and to a large degree selling players to subsidise new purchases.

:)

Gosh, this post is extremely long isnt it?

:nufc:

George Caulkin from Newcastle press conference

"Still assessing S Taylor but we know he'll be out for a good period of weeks. Good news is he won't need an operation."

Simon Bird from press conference

Hughton: moses "very keen on him". Left back (honduran chavez?) And cent half sign today. Tayls out 2 months, jose e out "few weeks"
Edited by Barney

enrique is going to be an even bigger miss than taylor. you don't many overlapping natural left-footed full backs at this level as good as him. jonas will miss linking up with him too

enrique is going to be an even bigger miss than taylor. you don't many overlapping natural left-footed full backs at this level as good as him. jonas will miss linking up with him too