Travelling

wykikitoon

OK, not trying to hijack this thread but I might be heading off to Texas in the next couple of weeks for the sake of international romantic reasons, I have a traditional passport, the non-biometric type, do I need a Visa ??? I have hastily booked a session at the passport office to get mine upgraded at daft expense, it seems its too late to get a Visa at this notice but would I need one with the old style passport ??? I could really do without shelling out £130 for a new passport if I don't need one.

They will give you entry for 90 days at immigration control at the airport, obviously you can't work etc.

But will they give me that on my old skool passport ? I was reading on the US Embassy website that if you have the new fancy biometric passports you qualify for the Visa waiver program. If I don't need to be shelling out for a new passport I'd rather not.

It seems you will only need a new one if your old one isn't 'machine readable'.

Read this;

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/niv/mrp_bio.html

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, not trying to hijack this thread but I might be heading off to Texas in the next couple of weeks for the sake of international romantic reasons, I have a traditional passport, the non-biometric type, do I need a Visa ??? I have hastily booked a session at the passport office to get mine upgraded at daft expense, it seems its too late to get a Visa at this notice but would I need one with the old style passport ??? I could really do without shelling out £130 for a new passport if I don't need one.

They will give you entry for 90 days at immigration control at the airport, obviously you can't work etc.

But will they give me that on my old skool passport ? I was reading on the US Embassy website that if you have the new fancy biometric passports you qualify for the Visa waiver program. If I don't need to be shelling out for a new passport I'd rather not.

Read this;

Cool !!! Although mine isn't the bio-metric electronic type, it seems mine is machine readable, I'll confirm in the post office or a travel agent just to be sure, but thank fuck for that ! saved me £130 and a day fucking around travelling to and from Peterbrough, I owe you a beer Greg.

tried to do the passport thing online and it just keeps spazzing which means I've got to go into a Post Office and fill out the form by hand!

Looking into doing a bit of travelling myself at some point...

South America...Peru, Bolivia and Brazil mainly

Or

Africa...Ghana, Ethiopia, Uganda and Kenya

Or

China and Tibet...3 months teaching BASIC english to kids ;) and 3 months exploring.

I stumbled accross www.travbuddy.com and its a great site to talk with alot of people who have travelled alot...also great for pictures, reviews and ideas.

Good luck fella.

Read this;

Cool !!! Although mine isn't the bio-metric electronic type, it seems mine is machine readable, I'll confirm in the post office or a travel agent just to be sure, but thank fuck for that ! saved me £130 and a day fucking around travelling to and from Peterbrough, I owe you a beer Greg.

Fairly convinced you have to fill in an online form to get in to the US now. You can no longer wait for a Visa form at the other end.

This be it....

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta.html?_fl...C6-5B255ED761BC

Read this;

Fairly convinced you have to fill in an online form to get in to the US now. You can no longer wait for a Visa form at the other end.

This be it....

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta.html?_fl...C6-5B255ED761BC

You're spot on ! I went in to the travel agents today and they told me the exact same thing, many thanks !!!

• 1 year later...

Couple of questions.

My fiancée has been offered a job in Houston due to start in the next month or two on a L1 Visa.

We are due to get married in October at which point I believe I can come over on her L1 Visa and be given a L2 visa and then apply for working authorization once I arrive.

My question is, is the best option for me to come over straight away on the Visa wavier form which can allow me to stay up to 90 days which means I can't work (that's okay). Looking to go over straight away has we will be sorting out somewhere to live and the like. Someone has to come back before the wedding anyway to sort things out so the 90 days is about right. I just wondered if anyone has had any problems with this or advice in general?

The annoying thing is that my work actually has a job and would keep it open for me for a month or so If I had my paper work in order. So If we had known early from my fiancée's work we would have got married at the registrar's office and there would be no problems. Of course still having a big wedding at the end of the year. I've now asked them if they can sort me out with a visa and I'm waiting to hear back. I'm not sure how much this costs and I'll not say I'm a huge cog for them, but I'd like to think I've got potential. :lol: I believe you have to prove you can do the job over them hiring someone local. Hopefully since I'm in IT I claim expert knowledge of systems used.

No really sure what your question is... If you're just asking if there's any hassle with going over on the visa waiver, then no. If you kept going back on it repeatedly they would start asking questions at immigration.

I don't think it would be easy to change status while you're there though so don't go on the waiver program expecting to be able to get an L2 while you're there.

No really sure what your question is... If you're just asking if there's any hassle with going over on the visa waiver, then no. If you kept going back on it repeatedly they would start asking questions at immigration.

I don't think it would be easy to change status while you're there though so don't go on the waiver program expecting to be able to get an L2 while you're there.

Yeah the main question is would there be hassle I hear to many report's saying that if you get somenoe on an off day at the border they will not allow you in. :lol:

I was asking if the waiver would be the best option for going over for that amount of time. Or if there was anything else I could do. I know I can't apply for the L2 while on it. I'll be doing that from the U.K after we get married.

Aye just go on the waiver program, you'll be fine. Immigration is just a lottery, but you wont get any bother going on the visa waiver.

When your lass gets her visa there'll be a bunch of supporting documentation that went into producing it - legal docunentation and all sorts. Tell her to have that in her hand luggage whenever she goes through immigration. Most of the time they wont want to see it, but I got asked once and luckily I had it all with me.

Aye just go on the waiver program, you'll be fine. Immigration is just a lottery, but you wont get any bother going on the visa waiver.

When your lass gets her visa there'll be a bunch of supporting documentation that went into producing it - legal docunentation and all sorts. Tell her to have that in her hand luggage whenever she goes through immigration. Most of the time they wont want to see it, but I got asked once and luckily I had it all with me.

Thanks. Will let her know and remember her when she goes to travel.

South East Asia is good but like people have said there are plenty of bell ends there. I tried to avoid them at all costs but you end up running into them eventually. If you go to nice places and block them out though it is cheap and worth it. Just don't stay in Bangkok for more than 2 days!!! Go to Laos, awesome laid back place with amazing scenery. Then go to Cambodia, the opposite to Laos people are really crazy, but friendly at the same time, and it is quite hectic. 2 of the best countries I have been too. The other places in South East Asia have nice places, but all the bell ends travelling there boiled my piss to be honest.

China is a good place too, and it has plenty of places to get off the beaten track. It is kind of challenging too in places which makes you feel better for travelling somewhere like that.

Like other people said, don't have to strict a route and just go where you feel, also try and avoid the lonely planet as much as you can, but look in there for the occasional hint and tip.

I have been to quite a bit of south east asia, and china and taiwan so if you want to ask any questions fire away.

South East Asia is good but like people have said there are plenty of bell ends there. I tried to avoid them at all costs but you end up running into them eventually. If you go to nice places and block them out though it is cheap and worth it. Just don't stay in Bangkok for more than 2 days!!! Go to Laos, awesome laid back place with amazing scenery. Then go to Cambodia, the opposite to Laos people are really crazy, but friendly at the same time, and it is quite hectic. 2 of the best countries I have been too. The other places in South East Asia have nice places, but all the bell ends travelling there boiled my piss to be honest.

China is a good place too, and it has plenty of places to get off the beaten track. It is kind of challenging too in places which makes you feel better for travelling somewhere like that.

Like other people said, don't have to strict a route and just go where you feel, also try and avoid the lonely planet as much as you can, but look in there for the occasional hint and tip.

I have been to quite a bit of south east asia, and china and taiwan so if you want to ask any questions fire away.

I done three months in china like and it was fantastic!

Beijing, Guilin and Yangshuo where amazing being out in wild china, shaolin, zhengzou and shanghai.

Tibet was awesome too.

Thanks. Will let her know and remember her when she goes to travel.

I've just been giving some documents to fill in from my work so score. :lol:

Beijing, Guilin and Yangshuo where amazing being out in wild china, shaolin, zhengzou and shanghai.

Tibet was awesome too.

I only went to a few cities in China, a friend I worked with he is Chinese and we became good friends. He then invited me to his wedding so I stayed with his family and they took us all over. It was fantastic and I would love to go back, but my lass hates Chinese people ha.

Tibet was awesome too.

I only went to a few cities in China, a friend I worked with he is Chinese and we became good friends. He then invited me to his wedding so I stayed with his family and they took us all over. It was fantastic and I would love to go back, but my lass hates Chinese people ha.

• 1 month later...

Aye off to Houston. ;)

Lass at the embassy was from Texas spent more time talking about the weather, then she just goes you will need this when you enter the country and handed me back my forms. In and out in before my appointment time of 9am.

My girlfriend was there for four and a half hours. :rip:

I was in Texas in June (Dallas, Fort Worth, San Antonio and Huston) hot as hell all the time 100 +

So talk plenty of sun screen and a hat!

I think they had some rain for the first time in a good long while.

I'll not be leaving the flat! I get too hot in Aberdeen and found London far too hot. :rip: