More comments from N-O

Kevin Carr's Gloves

I was trying to keep the tone as matter-of-fact as possible tbh mate and I think I succeded. Dont really know what you're getting at.

And I stand by what I said regardless of who started the thread. I think in many ways the fact that he responds to comments on here makes it even more petty tbh. Whats the point in him criticising this place? I actually agree with the 'cliquey' observations but 1) thats partly his fault in causing the split and 2) how is that relevant to anything anyone might say about N-O? Would it prove or disprove their arguments? The answer is 'no' so then why say it? He does it because he's petty minded so he simply cant help it.

It's just very very sad.

58648[/snapback]

What I'm getting at is that instead of worrying about whether HTT takes any pleasure in the idea this forum may not last, you should be directing your comment toward the person who started this daft thread. And also toward those who chipped in and followed up by slagging off people on another forum. It's a bit daft, don't you think? Don't you agree that this is what is petty minded?

58655[/snapback]

We just differ in what we find entertaining I think. When someone makes a tongue in cheek comment about the quality of another poster/message board, as long as its amusing then I'll have a laugh.

Although this forum is cliquey (I've admitted as much) I also think its very self-deprecating, and I think that is healthy. Thats the sort of humour that appeals to me-I can laugh at myself basically and I dont mind other people having a laugh at me either. I know that also applies to a lot of the people who HTT is branding snobby and arrogant etc etc.

What i'm saying is HTT's responses smack of someone who cant laugh at himself. Which is simply exacerbated by the fact that he takes any observations about N-O way too personally.

58667[/snapback]

I don't believe the comment was "tongue in cheek". Or the replies.

58676[/snapback]

I don't imagine I'm going to persuade you otherwise either so I wont bother trying mate.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Touchy? That's bloody ironic don't you think  ;)

It did cross my mind yes, but I think my observation is still probably the correct one, pet.

58671[/snapback]

Well you're wrong (again). Becoming a habit, that.

58678[/snapback]

But surely anything I say which disagrees with you is automatically wrong, in your opinion like?

One thing though, you amuse me :rolleyes:

Put yourself in his position, his forum has been slagged, what do you expect him to post assuming you accept he has a right to post? Are you expecting him to sing the praises of this forum?

58663[/snapback]

I'm making no comments on this whatsoever, and that's not just to disprove the above theory.

TBH I'm totally sick of the whole thing. Comments are made about other websites, it's a fact of life - as I have said before, if you're going to run a website/forum, you've got to accept that you're going to get criticism, no matter how much you don't like it.

People don't like N-O - so what? People don't like Toontastic - so what??

Neither place will die as both will retain a core member base.

As was said from the outset, Toontastic was never intended to be a competitor to Newcastle-Online, it was designed to offer the people who missed what they enjoyed about the original Toontastic/Toon-Chat the opportunity to enjoy it again. That included to some degree a cliquey-ness so I don't think that can be seen as a criticism of the site. I tend to look at it as 'job done'. Sure I'd like to see it a little bit busier but beggars can't be choosers.

If one day it does die, I'll accept it and move on to something new - I've learned things out of doing it so I won't be slitting my wrists.

It won't die though :rolleyes:

I was trying to keep the tone as matter-of-fact as possible tbh mate and I think I succeded. Dont really know what you're getting at.

And I stand by what I said regardless of who started the thread. I think in many ways the fact that he responds to comments on here makes it even more petty tbh. Whats the point in him criticising this place? I actually agree with the 'cliquey' observations but 1) thats partly his fault in causing the split and 2) how is that relevant to anything anyone might say about N-O? Would it prove or disprove their arguments? The answer is 'no' so then why say it? He does it because he's petty minded so he simply cant help it.

It's just very very sad.

58648[/snapback]

What I'm getting at is that instead of worrying about whether HTT takes any pleasure in the idea this forum may not last, you should be directing your comment toward the person who started this daft thread. And also toward those who chipped in and followed up by slagging off people on another forum. It's a bit daft, don't you think? Don't you agree that this is what is petty minded?

58655[/snapback]

We just differ in what we find entertaining I think. When someone makes a tongue in cheek comment about the quality of another poster/message board, as long as its amusing then I'll have a laugh.

Although this forum is cliquey (I've admitted as much) I also think its very self-deprecating, and I think that is healthy. Thats the sort of humour that appeals to me-I can laugh at myself basically and I dont mind other people having a laugh at me either. I know that also applies to a lot of the people who HTT is branding snobby and arrogant etc etc.

What i'm saying is HTT's responses smack of someone who cant laugh at himself. Which is simply exacerbated by the fact that he takes any observations about N-O way too personally.

58667[/snapback]

58676[/snapback]

I don't imagine I'm going to persuade you otherwise either so I wont bother trying mate.

58681[/snapback]

No difference with me trying to persuade you that you're wrong about HTT, is there?

Read what Dan said a couple of posts up. I've been reading stuff from HTT for a few years now and I don't think he's be smug about this forum failing. Just my opinion.

I very much beg to differ.

58654[/snapback]

I don't really care to be honest. I know within myself, that's not true and I'd hope people who knew me enough, wouldn't see it like that because I'm not like that.

I stand by all my comments and if you or anyone misreads them or misniterprets them as me wishing ill on this place, fair enough.

I won't lie, I was mighty pissed off over the 'split' but more with myself for letting it happen and to be truthful, despite how gutted I was at first, it's been a blessing in disguise (and that's not a dig at this place or anyone), it's made me change how I view N.O - for the better in my opinion.

I'm a Newcastle fan first and foremost, I have always preached from day one the importance of having many sites, many forums for NUFC fans to be able to use. Why do you think I was against any criticism of Nufc.com on N.O or other Toon sites? There has never been any criticism of this place on our forum either, not once. I certainly wouldn't be happy with that.

Anyway, think what you like. You're wrong.

58664[/snapback]

The point is though, (and the key difference) is that if there was criticism of this site on your site, I honestly couldnt give a monkeys toss! That's because I would see it as utterly fucking irrelevant to any problems with the current toontastic format.

Despite what you say HTT, it's obvious to most (be it by your words or your tone, but certainly in a clear pattern of behaviour) that you do wish this site every misfortune.

And that really is sad.

Fair do's like.

58674[/snapback]

I don't see anywhere where he has wished this site misfortune. In fact, he's said many times (on here and N/O) that the more NUFC fansites there are around the better. :rolleyes:

58679[/snapback]

When it descends into slanging matches then it's hard to get any other impression. And thats happened a few times. And then he rolls out that response. And then he gets embroiled in another slanging match. Again. I'd have been inclined to believe him if after the first time he'd said it he kept his counsel on the subject but he doesnt. Tired of hearing it tbh.

It's just very very sad.

58648[/snapback]

58655[/snapback]

58667[/snapback]

58676[/snapback]

58681[/snapback]

No difference with me trying to persuade you that you're wrong about HTT, is there?

Read what Dan said a couple of posts up. I've been reading stuff from HTT for a few years now and I don't think he's be smug about this forum failing. Just my opinion.

58686[/snapback]

No. That was me trying to draw our discussion to an end for that very reason. If you missed that you genuinely astonish me.

It did cross my mind yes, but I think my observation is still probably the correct one, pet.

58671[/snapback]

58678[/snapback]

But surely anything I say which disagrees with you is automatically wrong, in your opinion like?

58683[/snapback]

Methinks you're running out of things to post and so are now trying the childish 'wind up' personal tack. That's pretty sloppy, very transparent, and also ever so slightly surprising. I thought you'd be able to do better than that, this tack being something I'd expect from a few others.

Anyway, to the point. Unless you believe that people deliberately post opinions they know to be wrong, I'd say that everybody who posts an opinion on here believes they are correct. The difference is the ability to admit when you're wrong, and to realise that you may be wrong in any case. Both apply to me, but not to you.

When I post, I know I may be wrong. In fact, I may be wrong about Luque, as I don't have 150 family members and mates who support his previous club like someone does. You can't be wrong on that one, can you?

58671[/snapback]

58678[/snapback]

58683[/snapback]

Methinks you're running out of things to post and so are now trying the childish 'wind up' personal tack. That's pretty sloppy, very transparent, and also ever so slightly surprising. I thought you'd be able to do better than that, this tack being something I'd expect from a few others.

Anyway, to the point. Unless you believe that people deliberately post opinions they know to be wrong, I'd say that everybody who posts an opinion on here believes they are correct. The difference is the ability to admit when you're wrong, and to realise that you may be wrong in any case. Both apply to me, but not to you.

When I post, I know I may be wrong. In fact, I may be wrong about Luque, as I don't have 150 family members and mates who support his previous club like someone does. You can't be wrong on that one, can you?

58691[/snapback]

I find that amzing. Look at the order of the posts.

EDIT: I'm not wrong about Luque. Have been wrong about other things, but not this.

Put yourself in his position, his forum has been slagged, what do you expect him to post assuming you accept he has a right to post? Are you expecting him to sing the praises of this forum?

58663[/snapback]

I'm making no comments on this whatsoever, and that's not just to disprove the above theory.

TBH I'm totally sick of the whole thing. Comments are made about other websites, it's a fact of life - as I have said before, if you're going to run a website/forum, you've got to accept that you're going to get criticism, no matter how much you don't like it.

As was said from the outset, Toontastic was never intended to be a competitor to Newcastle-Online, it was designed to offer the people who missed what they enjoyed about the original Toontastic/Toon-Chat the opportunity to enjoy it again. That included to some degree a cliquey-ness so I don't think that can be seen as a criticism of the site. I tend to look at it as 'job done'. Sure I'd like to see it a little bit busier but beggars can't be choosers.

If one day it does die, I'll accept it and move on to something new - I've learned things out of doing it so I won't be slitting my wrists.

It won't die though :rolleyes:

58685[/snapback]

Good post actually.

But how do new members become part of the clique? At some point you surely must want to attract some new members?

Ok, now I maybe am confused.  :rolleyes:

58677[/snapback]

Glad we can agree.

58682[/snapback]

Interesting that you ignore the part of the post which goes against which you said like. Becoming a habit that.

58687[/snapback]

You'll need to put that in slightly clearer English to help me out. I don't quite get it.

What I do get is that you didn't get it was an attempt at banter. Oops, I forgot. Banter can only be banter if it's from a member of the clique.

Ok, now I maybe am confused.  ;)

58677[/snapback]

Glad we can agree.

58682[/snapback]

Interesting that you ignore the part of the post which goes against which you said like. Becoming a habit that.

58687[/snapback]

You'll need to put that in slightly clearer English to help me out. I don't quite get it.

What I do get is that you didn't get it was an attempt at banter. Oops, I forgot. Banter can only be banter if it's from a member of the clique.

58695[/snapback]

That sort of attitude isn't helping your clique joining application tbh. :rolleyes:

58663[/snapback]

It won't die though :blink:

58685[/snapback]

Good post actually.

But how do new members become part of the clique? At some point you surely must want to attract some new members?

58693[/snapback]

You say that as though I don't normally make good posts! :rolleyes:;)

We do get new members, all the time and a fair few of them post - there's no membership to a clique. TBH, I'd say that I wasn't part of it and more on the periphery. Doesn't stop me posting though, nor does it make me feel like I shouldn't post but then again, I tend to rise above that kind of bullshit.

No. That was me trying to draw our discussion to an end for that very reason. If you missed that you genuinely astonish me.

58689[/snapback]

I just thought you might have the capacity to see sense. Obviously not. I can't be arsed with this either, I've got the dogs to take out for a walk.

BTW I also think you're a last word freak.

58677[/snapback]

Glad we can agree.

58682[/snapback]

58687[/snapback]

58695[/snapback]

OK, let's go back to the start. You're under the impression that I somehow agreed with the original poster, and have since condemned HTT? True?

58663[/snapback]

58685[/snapback]

Good post actually.

58693[/snapback]

We do get new members, all the time and a fair few of them post - there's no membership to a clique. TBH, I'd say that I wasn't part of it and more on the periphery. Doesn't stop me posting though, nor does it make me feel like I shouldn't post but then again, I tend to rise above that kind of bullshit.

58697[/snapback]

Skidmarks up to your eyeballs tbh.

58663[/snapback]

58685[/snapback]

Good post actually.

58693[/snapback]

58697[/snapback]

Paranoid, or what?

Banter again, bollocks. I've got to stop that because I know you lot don't get it.

58677[/snapback]

Glad we can agree.

58682[/snapback]

58687[/snapback]

58695[/snapback]

OK, let's go back to the start. You're under the impression that I somehow agreed with the original poster, and have since condemned HTT? True?

58699[/snapback]

How do I know? I don't read posts.

58663[/snapback]

It won't die though :icon_lol:

58685[/snapback]

Good post actually.

58693[/snapback]

You say that as though I don't normally make good posts! :rolleyes::blink:

58697[/snapback]

I've always wanted to be part of the clique. I tried desperately to fit in with different groups; first by joining the GRC, then by slating it. Now I don't think I fit in anywhere. I even dragged dotbum to this site, and he's more part of the clique than me :)

;)

Craig mate, we've got our own clique, and we don't need anyone else. :yes

58677[/snapback]

Glad we can agree.

58682[/snapback]

58687[/snapback]

58695[/snapback]

58699[/snapback]

How do I know? I don't read posts.

58702[/snapback]

Glad we agree (again, seemingly)

Rather childish comeback too, you're learning. Nearly ticking all the right boxes, apart from the attitude part, as Gemmill so kindly pointed out ;)

58663[/snapback]

It won't die though :)

58685[/snapback]

Good post actually.

58693[/snapback]

You say that as though I don't normally make good posts! :rolleyes::blink:

58697[/snapback]

I've always wanted to be part of the clique. I tried desperately to fit in with different groups; first by joining the GRC, then by slating it. Now I don't think I fit in anywhere. I even dragged dotbum to this site, and he's more part of the clique than me :yes

;)

Craig mate, we've got our own clique, and we don't need anyone else. :brrr:

58703[/snapback]

You two are the same person aren't you? :icon_lol:

58663[/snapback]

58685[/snapback]

Good post actually.

58693[/snapback]

You say that as though I don't normally make good posts! :rolleyes::icon_lol:

58697[/snapback]

58700[/snapback]

You been smearing your arse again? ;)

:blink:

58663[/snapback]

58685[/snapback]

Good post actually.

58693[/snapback]

You say that as though I don't normally make good posts! :rolleyes::icon_lol:

58697[/snapback]

58700[/snapback]

You been smearing your arse again? ;)

:blink:

58706[/snapback]

No, its just the way I walk.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.