Should Dyer be considered a regular starter?

Django Reinhardt

"I also admit when I am wrong. I also make judgements, and stick by them. "

does that mean you'll stick by it if you admit your wrong ?

59888[/snapback]

yes, but I'm confident I won't be.

Are you ?

I was thinking you would have made a constructive reponse .......

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Big Ron on this one :D

59880[/snapback]

shhhhhhhhhh

you can't say that !!!!!!

59883[/snapback]

Thats just the Pet name I have for you Leazes

:icon_lol:

59886[/snapback]

well I'm saying Auf Wiedersehen Pet because I'm ganning to bed mate !!!

I agree with Big Ron on this one :D

59880[/snapback]

shhhhhhhhhh

you can't say that !!!!!!

59883[/snapback]

Thats just the Pet name I have for you Leazes

:angry:

59886[/snapback]

well I'm saying Auf Wiedersehen Pet because I'm ganning to bed mate !!!

59891[/snapback]

Good night mate

:icon_lol:

we had a team of players, backed up with more to make a squad, that finished 4th, 3rd and 5th in the league.

So what is your excuse for 50m not being enough money to improve both those areas ?

59267[/snapback]

I'd like to see an answer to this.

59794[/snapback]

haven't we been here before.......your rating of the 3rd,4th,5th placed teams is a lot higher than mine.yes last season was shocking but a follow on from the performances of the previous season,lots needed changed(remember wolves,southampton etc ??)

someone mentioned about when we finished 3rd,4th,5th we were underperforming ????? as a club maybe for the size we are,but as a team,group of players,they over achieved.yes leazes mag,this is all in hindsight,but hindsight is so you can look at what happened.

as for the 50mill...when they play i'll judge him!

59882[/snapback]

we were 4th, 3rd and 5th before when they WEREN'T playing .........

[maybe this point will get through eventually ....... ]

59885[/snapback]

it's got little to do with before they werent playing and everything to do with what was there when they werent (does that make sense?? :D )

even though the personnel were the same it wasn't "the same" squad who reached 3rd and 4th.thats what ferguson realised after their first double,it wasnt right and needed changed,in nufc's case i agree..wether souness has got it right i'll only be able to tell you after he's been able to play a close to full strength team for a few games....you wont even allow him that.

Fact is, the vast majority of people on this forum, who were all on newcastle online at the time, were of the opinion that Boumsong was the best thing since sliced bread, when it became obvious he was coming to Newcastle. The vast majority of people also said Ameobi was Shearers replacement. The vast majority of people also said that Kluivert would be a huge success.

1. I don't know anyone on this forum that thought that Boumsong was the best thing since sliced bread.

2. I don't know anyone on this forum that said that Ameobi was Shearer's replacement.

3. There may have been one or two saying that Kluivert would be a success, but I wasn't one of them.

If you want to tell yourself what you have in your paragraph above because you feel it strengthens your position to broadbrush everyone with stupid opinions, then that's up to you. But the fact is that you're talking shit in coming out with these sweeping statements about "the vast majority" and then attributing those opinions to whoever you're arguing with. I know that that's your way though as it then allows you to make your stock arguments rather than actually replying to what someone's said to you.

You are equally hell-bent on the notion that for some reason Graeme Souness is going to be a top manager, despite having proved for 20 years he isn't.

If you can find something in the statement "I think he deserves the time to prove one way or the other whether he'll be a success" that can be translated into "Graeme Souness is going to be a top manager", then I'll concede this one to you. If you can't, then I'd have to say that once again you've made something up and attributed it to the person you're arguing with because that makes your job a bit easier.

Your assertion that we are better off without Craig Bellamy has, so far, been proven spectacularly wrong if you look at the results of the team. Along with the performances which gauge the potential for improvement. By that I mean, by backing Souness, as binning Bellamy is Souness choice. And yes, if you want to push a point, then I do think this one player would make a huge difference to the performance of the team. If you disagree, he did it when he first came. Admit it. Souness's and his mates' kidology doesn't fool everyone.

We miss Craig Bellamy on the pitch. Of course we do. I have always said that we would miss his performances on the pitch, but I supported the reasons for getting rid of him. Once again, you have made something up and attributed it to me. Getting to be a bit of a habit isn't it?

You also seem unable to grasp the financial risk the club has taken to back this managers ego, despite your backround.

Can you please point out where I have failed to grasp the financial IMPACT (not risk, impact) of backing the manager with cash? With the exception of Boumsong, Souness's signings are all very saleable assets and could all be sold on for decent money should this be required. Do you feel that the future of the club has been put at risk by this spending? I'd like you to tell me exactly what danger the club is now in due to this spending, seen as you're so adamant that we are in a perilous situation. If you can show me the actual financial risks, then we can discuss this. Responding with "It's 50 million pound we didn't need to spend in order to feed Souness's ego" is NOT pointing out a financial risk by the way. I'd like to hear the actual risks backed up with financial data that will prove how we have been put in a perilous situation.

Do me a favour and try replying to the post and the poster from now on. Don't apply broadbrush statements to everyone you have a discussion with - it makes it impossible to have a discussion if you attribute opinions to someone that they don't actually hold, and then deconstruct them when they have fuck all to do with the discussion at hand. I think you'll find it a lot harder to constantly be right (as you take great pleasure in telling us all that you are), if you have to stop wrongly attributing "wrong" opinions to whoever you have an argument with.

1.  I don't know anyone on this forum that thought that Boumsong was the best thing since sliced bread.

there was a hell of a lot of people who thought it and it's inconceivable that everyone who didn't moved over here and those who did stayed on newcastle online.

2.  I don't know anyone on this forum that said that Ameobi was Shearer's replacement.

ditto

3.  There may have been one or two saying that Kluivert would be a success, but I wasn't one of them.

not saying YOU did, but the point is you commented about me being right, so just thought I'd tell you when I had been right. And I am completely confident that Souness will not match, or beat as he should do, the results that Bobby Robson did, despite being handed 50m to improve it. Are you ? [....I have asked this before, and you shirked it ]

If you want to tell yourself what you have in your paragraph above because you feel it strengthens your position to broadbrush everyone with stupid opinions, then that's up to you.

the notion that Graeme Souness will get Newcastle United into the Champions league is shit and stupid, some of us said this in August. Care to change your mind ?

But the fact is that you're talking shit in coming out with these sweeping statements about "the vast majority" and then attributing those opinions to whoever you're arguing with.  I know that that's your way though as it then allows you to make your stock arguments rather than actually replying to what someone's said to you.

Ditto. I am replying. I always do. My judgement was laid down on day 1. So far, myself [and one or two others] are looking totally vindicated. Which means we aren;t talking shit, someone else is.

If you can find something in the statement "I think he deserves the time to prove one way or the other whether he'll be a success" that can be translated into "Graeme Souness is going to be a top manager", then I'll concede this one to you.  If you can't, then I'd have to say that once again you've made something up and attributed it to the person you're arguing with because that makes your job a bit easier.

If you don't think he is going to give us a top team, and he's had more than enough backing to build on a good platform, please explain why he should be given any time at all, never mind more.

We miss Craig Bellamy on the pitch.  Of course we do.  I have always said that we would miss his performances on the pitch, but I supported the reasons for getting rid of him.  Once again, you have made something up and attributed it to me.  Getting to be a bit of a habit isn't it?

Again, it's results and performance that count. Why didn't you tell us that Bellamy was such a poison when we finished 3rd in the league and won in Rotterdam ? Would you rather have a mediocre team relying completely on one mans goals and the consolation of a "happy" dressing room.....not that it was unhappy before, because it couldn't have been in view of the teams results.

Can you please point out where I have failed to grasp the financial IMPACT (not risk, impact) of backing the manager with cash?  With the exception of Boumsong, Souness's signings are all very saleable assets and could all be sold on for decent money should this be required.  Do you feel that the future of the club has been put at risk by this spending?  I'd like you to tell me exactly what danger the club is now in due to this spending, seen as you're so adamant that we are in a perilous situation.  If you can show me the actual financial risks, then we can discuss this.  Responding with "It's 50 million pound we didn't need to spend in order to feed Souness's ego" is NOT pointing out a financial risk by the way.  I'd like to hear the actual risks backed up with financial data that will prove how we have been put in a perilous situation.

50m translasted into results, translated into higher level of competition. Where do you think this football club has found 50m in a year other than take huge financial risks. It's football, if we don't qualify for europe then what in your opinion will happen to the finances of the club ? Will we have to make sales, will we have to sell players for less than we bought them ?

Do me a favour and try replying to the post and the poster from now on.  Don't apply broadbrush statements to everyone you have a discussion with - it makes it impossible to have a discussion if you attribute opinions to someone that they don't actually hold, and then deconstruct them when they have fuck all to do with the discussion at hand.  I think you'll find it a lot harder to constantly be right (as you take great pleasure in telling us all that you are), if you have to stop wrongly attributing "wrong" opinions to whoever you have an argument with.

59955[/snapback]

I do believe you are losing it. You should learn to apply realistic judgement rather than wear those rose tinted specs © .......

Edited by LeazesMag

we had a team of players, backed up with more to make a squad, that finished 4th, 3rd and 5th in the league.

So what is your excuse for 50m not being enough money to improve both those areas ?

59267[/snapback]

I'd like to see an answer to this.

59794[/snapback]

haven't we been here before.......your rating of the 3rd,4th,5th placed teams is a lot higher than mine.yes last season was shocking but a follow on from the performances of the previous season,lots needed changed(remember wolves,southampton etc ??)

someone mentioned about when we finished 3rd,4th,5th we were underperforming ????? as a club maybe for the size we are,but as a team,group of players,they over achieved.yes leazes mag,this is all in hindsight,but hindsight is so you can look at what happened.

as for the 50mill...when they play i'll judge him!

59882[/snapback]

we were 4th, 3rd and 5th before when they WEREN'T playing .........

[maybe this point will get through eventually ....... ]

59885[/snapback]

it's got little to do with before they werent playing and everything to do with what was there when they werent (does that make sense?? :D )

even though the personnel were the same it wasn't "the same" squad who reached 3rd and 4th.thats what ferguson realised after their first double,it wasnt right and needed changed,in nufc's case i agree..wether souness has got it right i'll only be able to tell you after he's been able to play a close to full strength team for a few games....you wont even allow him that.

59896[/snapback]

There are teams above Newcastle who have spent less on a whole team that Souness has spent on improving a ready made good side. I don't know what more proof you want that he is a knacker. Injuries is absolutely NO excuse. We had a SQUAD that finished 4th 3rd and 5th, so how do we not have one now, 50m quid later.

the notion that Graeme Souness will get Newcastle United into the Champions league is shit and stupid, some of us said this in August. Care to change your mind ?

59966[/snapback]

You see this is exactly what I'm talking about. Do I care to change my mind on WHAT? When have I said that Graeme Souness WILL get us into the Champions League? You attribute this to me and then tell me I'm wrong and you're right.

I don't have time to respond to the rest of your post now as I'm leaving for work, but needless to say it's the usual "I said back at so and so a time that x,y and z would happen. It has and by definition that makes me right, and anyone else that I argue with wrong, regardless of their opinion then or now." I'll respond later.

Leazes, I would guess loads of people did wax lyrical about Boumsong last season. I would also imagine most of them were overreacting after a some reasonable displays alongside Bramble. The same people were probably saying Bramble for England and they are probably now saying he should be sold. As for the Ameobi comment, I don't know who said that but its pretty laughable.

there was a hell of a lot of people who thought it and it's inconceivable that everyone who didn't moved over here and those who did stayed on newcastle online.

So some people jumped to an incorrect conclusion. So what? Why do you then bring things like this up whenever you have a disagreement with someone on a totally unrelated matter? You didn't think that Boumsong was the greatest player on earth and surprisingly you've been proved right - funnily enough you're not alone.

ditto

See response above. Congratulations on being right that Shola was never going to be Shearer's replacement though. It's pretty much common knowledge to anyone with any sense like.

not saying YOU did, but the point is you commented about me being right, so just thought I'd tell you when I had been right. And I am completely confident that Souness will not match, or beat as he should do, the results that Bobby Robson did, despite being handed 50m to improve it. Are you ? [....I have asked this before, and you shirked it ]

So basically you've selected 3 examples: Boumsong not the next Bobby Moore, Shola not the next Shearer, and Kluivert not going to score lots of goals for Newcastle as examples in which you're going to be right.

If I tell you now that I don't think Peter Ramage will ever be a top player or that Charles N'Zogbia won't be as good as Thierry Henry, do I have permission to repeatedly bring it up whenever you tell me I'm wrong about something?

I've already responded to this in a post above. I'd love for you to point out where I said that Souness would get us into the Champions League like.

Ditto. I am replying. I always do. My judgement was laid down on day 1. So far, myself [and one or two others] are looking totally vindicated. Which means we aren;t talking shit, someone else is.

Who is that someone else? Do you want to direct your comments towards them? I said that he deserved the time to prove one way or the other whether he could be a success. If he proves to be a total failure then I would still stand by my comment at the time that he deserved the chance to prove that that was all he was capable of. Remember that there were no top coaches putting their hands up, and the two first choices that we had (Bruce and Allardyce) had both knocked us back.

If you don't think he is going to give us a top team, and he's had more than enough backing to build on a good platform, please explain why he should be given any time at all, never mind more.

Maybe his time is coming to an end, so I'm not necessarily advocating more time. I think if things continue as they are currently that he should go at the end of the season actually. No doubt you'll see this as a victory for yourself when in fact all I ever said was that he needed time to either succeed or fail.

Again, it's results and performance that count.  Why didn't you tell us that Bellamy was such a poison when we finished 3rd in the league and won in Rotterdam ? Would you rather have a mediocre team relying completely on one mans goals and the consolation of a "happy" dressing room.....not that it was unhappy before, because it couldn't have been in view of the teams results.

Seriously mate, I'm sick of talking about Craig Bellamy. You aren't, and you never ever will be, but I'm not getting into all this shite about Bellamy again.

50m translasted into results, translated into higher level of competition. Where do you think this football club has found 50m in a year other than take huge financial risks. It's football, if we don't qualify for europe then what in your opinion will happen to the finances of the club ? Will we have to make sales, will we have to sell players for less than we bought them ?

What are the financial risks? I'm waiting for you to tell me. You seem so adamant that we've taken them so I'm looking forward to hearing what they are.

My opinion is that we've definitely stretched ourselves with the spending that we've made. And yes, it's a bit of a gamble whenever you make big signings, but I don't think that we've overstretched ourselves with our spending. Shepherd isn't stupid (well he is, but not as a businessman).

I do believe you are losing it. You should learn to apply realistic judgement rather than wear those rose tinted specs © .......

I'm not losing it. Try doing what I've said. Try arguing the topic at hand and not mentioning Bellamy or making childish digs at Souness. And try not attributing opinions to people that they've never had. It would be easy for me to argue with you if I picked the stupidest thing that I've ever read on N-O and convinced myself that it was you that said it, and then proceeded to call you stupid on that basis. That's what you do - try stopping yourself.

Souness will do, has done, nothing for Newcastle but harm.

And the worse part is the prick is going to fluke a cup and be a geordie hero and that is just wrong.

59892[/snapback]

Yeah, I'd just hate to see him actually win something.

Desperate to see him fail, me :D

And the worse part is the prick is going to fluke a cup and be a geordie hero and that is just wrong.

59892[/snapback]

Desperate to see him fail, me :icon_lol:

60006[/snapback]

:D I know, I'll be gutted if he wins something.

So some people jumped to an incorrect conclusion. So what? Why do you then bring things like this up whenever you have a disagreement with someone on a totally unrelated matter? You didn't think that Boumsong was the greatest player on earth and surprisingly you've been proved right - funnily enough you're not alone.

ditto

See response above. Congratulations on being right that Shola was never going to be Shearer's replacement though. It's pretty much common knowledge to anyone with any sense like.

So basically you've selected 3 examples: Boumsong not the next Bobby Moore, Shola not the next Shearer, and Kluivert not going to score lots of goals for Newcastle as examples in which you're going to be right.

If I tell you now that I don't think Peter Ramage will ever be a top player or that Charles N'Zogbia won't be as good as Thierry Henry, do I have permission to repeatedly bring it up whenever you tell me I'm wrong about something?

I've already responded to this in a post above. I'd love for you to point out where I said that Souness would get us into the Champions League like.

Who is that someone else? Do you want to direct your comments towards them? I said that he deserved the time to prove one way or the other whether he could be a success. If he proves to be a total failure then I would still stand by my comment at the time that he deserved the chance to prove that that was all he was capable of. Remember that there were no top coaches putting their hands up, and the two first choices that we had (Bruce and Allardyce) had both knocked us back.

Maybe his time is coming to an end, so I'm not necessarily advocating more time. I think if things continue as they are currently that he should go at the end of the season actually. No doubt you'll see this as a victory for yourself when in fact all I ever said was that he needed time to either succeed or fail.

Again, it's results and performance that count.  Why didn't you tell us that Bellamy was such a poison when we finished 3rd in the league and won in Rotterdam ? Would you rather have a mediocre team relying completely on one mans goals and the consolation of a "happy" dressing room.....not that it was unhappy before, because it couldn't have been in view of the teams results.

Seriously mate, I'm sick of talking about Craig Bellamy. You aren't, and you never ever will be, but I'm not getting into all this shite about Bellamy again.

What are the financial risks? I'm waiting for you to tell me. You seem so adamant that we've taken them so I'm looking forward to hearing what they are.

My opinion is that we've definitely stretched ourselves with the spending that we've made. And yes, it's a bit of a gamble whenever you make big signings, but I don't think that we've overstretched ourselves with our spending. Shepherd isn't stupid (well he is, but not as a businessman).

I'm not losing it. Try doing what I've said. Try arguing the topic at hand and not mentioning Bellamy or making childish digs at Souness. And try not attributing opinions to people that they've never had. It would be easy for me to argue with you if I picked the stupidest thing that I've ever read on N-O and convinced myself that it was you that said it, and then proceeded to call you stupid on that basis. That's what you do - try stopping yourself.

60005[/snapback]

pretty simple fact is that Souness has always been a shit manager, a bully and an attention seeker who puts himself before his job. On that basis, he isn't ever going to be good enough for Newcastle. Some of us are prepared to say this, because we have certain standards, those who say give him time don't have these standards, and in my view if you want him here, it is because you think he will succeed, by defnition this is true, you must do. And if you back a manager, you back his actions, by the same defnition.

I'm not making childish digs at Souness at all. I'm simply saying why I think he shouldn't be here, and I am confident he will not deliver the results of the previous manager, despite spending a fortune and potentially putting the club at huge financial risk to satisfy his ego, replacing players that he should have managed, at a huge cost.

Fairly straightforward, at least it is to me.

59892[/snapback]

Desperate to see him fail, me :lol:

60006[/snapback]

Not being funny like, but the manager is judged against the results and performances over a certain time period versus expectations. The expectations are set by what the club wants to achieve, and they base that on how much financial backing has been given to the manager and the state when he started. If the Board is happy with a bottom half finish and a cup win, then Souness is successfull. I'd be disappointed however if this was the aim of the Board, as it's a fairly low aim, the League being the proper guide to a teams quality.

While everybody wants us to win a cup, the dire performances over a long period of time, and a bottom half position in the table to me indicate the manager has failed.

It doesn't make Souness a success to win the League Cup.

59892[/snapback]

60006[/snapback]

Not being funny like, but the manager is judged against the results and performances over a certain time period versus expectations. The expectations are set by what the club wants to achieve, and they base that on how much financial backing has been given to the manager and the state when he started. If the Board is happy with a bottom half finish and a cup win, then Souness is successfull. I'd be disappointed however if this was the aim of the Board, as it's a fairly low aim, the League being the proper guide to a teams quality.

While everybody wants us to win a cup, the dire performances over a long period of time, and a bottom half position in the table to me indicate the manager has failed.

60495[/snapback]

Thank you HTL. That's exactly what I meant.

Think of all the managers and players over the last 51 years that you really wanted to see win a domestic competition at Newcastle who didn't.

And what is going to happen, one of the worst managers the club has ever had will be revered for being the man to bring a domestic cup home to the club, albeit probably the league cup.

Shearergol and Alex, my witty friends, I also won't be disappointed if the club actually wins something but I will be disappointed with the next generation and the one after that holding Souness up as a successful manager for a club that deserves so much better.

59892[/snapback]

60006[/snapback]

60495[/snapback]

Think of all the managers and players over the last 51 years that you really wanted to see win a domestic competition at Newcastle who didn't.

And what is going to happen, one of the worst managers the club has ever had will be revered for being the man to bring a domestic cup home to the club, albeit probably the league cup.

Shearergol and Alex, my witty friends, I also won't be disappointed if the club actually wins something but I will be disappointed with the next generation and the one after that holding Souness up as a successful manager for a club that deserves so much better.

60500[/snapback]

I agree with that. But it's not going to happen anyway as I doubt we are even capable of winning the league cup.

59892[/snapback]

60006[/snapback]

60495[/snapback]

60500[/snapback]

this very thought has been at the back of my mind too, one of the most incompetent, despicable managers we have ever had, side by side with Bill McGarry, will be saved from deserved immortal hatred on Tyneside, because he wins the fuckin league cup....you can see it happening as well

I can't be doing with these multi-quote-athons.

Is anyone seriously saying they would get more satisfaction from seeing Souness sacked than they would from seeing us win a trophy ;)  ;)  ;)  :icon_lol:  :lol:  :lol:

60522[/snapback]

Fuck me, do people not read posts?

I can't be doing with these multi-quote-athons.

Is anyone seriously saying they would get more satisfaction from seeing Souness sacked than they would from seeing us win a trophy ;)  ;)  :icon_lol:  :icon_lol:  ;)  :lol:

60522[/snapback]

Fuck me, do people not read posts?

60527[/snapback]

:lol:

Sammy's got his knickers in a twist again. :icon_lol:

By the way, not wanting to point out the obvious or owt, but if he did win a cup he would be the most successful manager we've had in years IN TERMS OF TROPHIES. Which at the end of the day is what we all want isn't it? Just once to fucking win something.

I can't believe anyone would seriously be worried about what fans would think of Souness or anyone else if we won a trophy (any trophy).

Personally I would be so overjoyed at winning finally seeing us win something I wouldn't give a toss.

If on the other hand you said that you would be worried that winning a trophy would convince fat fred to keep him on as manager for another season or more of the poor management we've seen so far, I would conceed that is a fair point.

But just to be worried about what people will think of Souness is nothing short of pathetic.

Btw, what the fuck has this got to do with whether Dyer should be a regular starter?