What was your favourite toon game?

Guest Barrack Road

Guest Barrack Road

When people get asked this question they always give answers like "the 5-0, the Barca game, the 4-3 against Man Utd" or for the OOT's "that game the other week after I went on the ground tour". In the BK period what was your favourite toon game?

The one that stands out as being brilliant all round for me was against Norwich City. They were a good side Norwich, we had been threatened with relegation, but this Norwich game coincided with a nine match unbeaten run which basically kept us up nicely.

Me dad was never on the dole often, but I recall he was when we went to this game, and we went in Gallowgate West section as it was cheaper than the Scoreboard, IIRC, it was £2.50 for him and £1.50 for me, how times have changed, and we made our way near the centre behind the goal. Was a good crowd for a night game, and we were 1-0 down at half time, a goal right in front of us, was a chip from 25 yards beautiful goal, was either Kevin Drinkell who went on to play for Rangers, or Roberto Rosario who got it. We were tremendous though and could've scored five in the first half and despite being 0-1 down got a standing ovation.

We came out the second half and tore them a new arsehole, Goddard, Gazza, Spotty and Darren Jackson all scored, and it was one of them nights where you were gutted there was only 10 minutes left, I felt like that against Spurs when we beat them 7-1. Some of the football was magnificent, and although we were pretty average in the 80's we had some good players who could on occasion really turn it on. Gazza pulled all of the strings, Goddard was tremendous, and we made some canny signings on the face of it. Darren Jackson was never a superstar, but he could've been great at Newcastle if he stayed longer, as he had a really good career from there forward. One of the goals I remember vividly think it was the fourth, we kept the ball for ages about 5 one two's the box played back to Jackson and the crowd went mental. In those days the more goals we scored in a game the more radge the crowd went. We seemed to have a lot of Scots at SJP in them days on the terraces and I remember sitting on a barrier next to me dad, and this jock in a Hearts cagool bear hugging me. Was a great, great night that, fantastic atmosphere and one that sticks in my mind.

Spurs at home 1988, was the best atmosphere I've seen in the ground though, crowd given at 34,000, there was 40,000 plus in that day couldn't move all game, and what abuse Gazza got.

Edited by Barrack Road

Smoggies away, donkeys years ago when we scored twice in the last couple of minutes to draw 3-3, I was on my lonesome and had to walk halfway through smogville to meet my lift, should have won an oscar, on my walk, for my dejected expression whilst grinning broadly inside.

Smoggies away, donkeys years ago when we scored twice in the last couple of minutes to draw 3-3, I was on my lonesome and had to walk halfway through smogville to meet my lift, should have won an oscar, on my walk, for my dejected expression whilst grinning broadly inside.

I know its sad but I've always considered the "sly" walk back to the station/car among home fans when we've beaten their team and hearing the moans to be one of the best things about being a football fan.

Leicester at home in 1990. Roy Aitken's debut and we were losing 4-2 with about 12 minutes left. Ended up winning 5-4 with the last kick of the game - truly magical stuff.

Guest Barrack Road
Leicester at home in 1990. Roy Aitken's debut and we were losing 4-2 with about 12 minutes left. Ended up winning 5-4 with the last kick of the game - truly magical stuff.

my favourite too. Was it 1990 jeez!

Seems like yesterday. I used to love Mark McGhee, he never gets a mention off anybody but he was a class, class player. I'd have love to seen him in his peak.

Guest Barrack Road
yep McGhee was top class even though he had no pace — Roy Aitken was utter shite though!

a young Kevin Campbell was on loan at Leicester for that game, was the best player on the pitch.

Gary McAllister tbh, Campbell was class too.

Aitken was rated as the best player in Scotland by many for a long time, he was finished when he came here though or so it seemed, I don't think you should be finished at 30 however. See Liverpool they always seemed to get lucky with Scots in the late 70s and 80s, they got Hansen, Gillespie and Dalglish, while we got Robertson, Sweeney and Roy The Bear as he was known. Funny that seeing as Rangers refer to themselves as the bears too.

yep McGhee was top class even though he had no pace — Roy Aitken was utter shite though!

a young Kevin Campbell was on loan at Leicester for that game, was the best player on the pitch.

Aitken was rated as the best player in Scotland by many for a long time, he was finished when he came here though or so it seemed, I don't think you should be finished at 30 however. See Liverpool they always seemed to get lucky with Scots in the late 70s and 80s, they got Hansen, Gillespie and Dalglish, while we got Robertson, Sweeney and Roy The Bear as he was known. Funny that seeing as Rangers refer to themselves as the bears too.

another young scot we got at that time was John Gallacher who looked like he was going to be a player before his injuries.

another young scot we got at that time was John Gallacher who looked like he was going to be a player before his injuries.

I have a vague memory of going to Reading and John gallagher scoring an own goal from the halfway line. Mind in this memory I have Gullit playing or on the bench

Seems like yesterday. I used to love Mark McGhee, he never gets a mention off anybody but he was a class, class player. I'd have love to seen him in his peak.

Had the abilty to make a goal out of absolutely nothing.

Had the abilty to make a goal out of absolutely nothing.

CANNY BLOKE AS WELLsorry just realised cap locks on.

I have a vague memory of going to Reading and John gallagher scoring an own goal from the halfway line. Mind in this memory I have Gullit playing or on the bench

FA cup last minute equaliser - the back pass was intercepted I think - won some bloke a couple of million on the pools - we won the replay 4-0

Gullit played in a pre-season friendly there.

FA cup last minute equaliser - the back pass was intercepted I think - won some bloke a couple of million on the pools - we won the replay 4-0

Gullit played in a pre-season friendly there.

Thanks that has been doing my napper in ;)

That's what I was going to say.

And me....so I'll say 4-0 v Luton in 88...Michael O'Neil hatrick, Kenny Wharton sitting on the ball and Steve Foster, the heed banded old tosser, trying to throttle him at the end of the game...class :D

edit:...the funniest thing about the Leicester game is two thirds of the home support walking out at 2-4 with 20 mins left ;)

Edited by PaddockLad

Another one from that era, beating Leeds 5-2 on the first day of the season in 1989 when they were big favourites to go up.

Micky Quinn scored four on his debut and Mcghee got the other one. They scored a shit-load together that season.

Edited by Dr Kenneth Noisewater

Another one from that era, beating Leeds 5-2 on the first day of the season in 1989 when they were big favourites to go up.

Micky Quinn scored four on his debut and Mcghee got the other one. They scored a shit-load together that season.

Gallacher - McGhee didn't score till Hull.

Sorry to be a pedant - I just have a good memory for good times ;)

Jan1st 1985 beat Sunderland 3-1, I vaguely remember we had a few players out through injury and was really worried we would get turned over. Beardsley hat trick - Garry Bennet sent off -marvelous.

I saw us put 5 past ManU Pop Robson hat trick -but that was when I was young enough to think that was just expected