NUFC Pictures - from days of old.

Craig

Again I might be dreaming but didnt there used to be a toyshop where HMV currently is?. I think HMV was futher down Northumberland St at the time and after it was a toy shop it was a girls clothes shop... Could be wrong as no one I know can remember it...

It was a Hamleys. Not sure what it was before that. Might have been built for that actually.

Again I might be dreaming but didnt there used to be a toyshop where HMV currently is?. I think HMV was futher down Northumberland St at the time and after it was a toy shop it was a girls clothes shop... Could be wrong as no one I know can remember it...

It was a Hamleys. Not sure what it was before that. Might have been built for that actually.

Nice one, It didnt last very long did it?

Guest Barrack Road

Was definitely a Hamley's. I remember the pencils now, they were outside of Curry's beside Mothercare. How long has Eldon Garden been up? 20 year? It seems like 5 to me.

Guest Barrack Road

Hamley's was there in 1990 I know that much, cos I remember it being there during the 1990 World Cup. I tell you how I remember, a ridiculous amount of kids from schools all over the city would descend on McDonalds on Northumberland Street during the World Cup, because they had these scratch cards, and I think it was no purchase necessary. You'd scratch the question at the top and they were piss easy for me, cos football was my life, "who was top scorer in the 78 World Cup", well every fucka knows it's Kempes, once you'd done that, you scratched your prize at the bottom and the worst it ever was, was chips, so it was always mobbed that summer, and Hamley's was next door.

Im sure there used to be an Ice cream shop where the NUFC shop is in Eldon Square next to the Northumberland St entrance, loved the mint choc chip suff. There also used to be a computer shop upstairs next to where WH Smith used to be, used to buy me Spectrum games from there, £9.99 for a cassette tape ffs :D

Aye bought the first Champ Man for the PC there :D 1995. The only icecream thing I remember was near Blacket Bridge, and up to where there's a cashpoint now, like off the beaten track.

Whenever, I was going to me nana's we'd get mince pies from Greggs up the top of the Green Market, then down the escalators and through the market to the 21 stop and every time I was walking past the Black Garter, I always wanted to go in and see it so much as a kid, definitely one thing in my life where my mental impression of it was better than the reality in later years :razz:

:D Whilst waiting for the bus down to the boro game me and a mate went into the garter at 9am, I was expecting it to be dead but it was heaving with all sorts of creatures. Some bloke got a pint, sat down with a group of people near us and said "Good morning my fellow alcoholics" and he wasnt joking either!

Guest Barrack Road
Im sure there used to be an Ice cream shop where the NUFC shop is in Eldon Square next to the Northumberland St entrance, loved the mint choc chip suff. There also used to be a computer shop upstairs next to where WH Smith used to be, used to buy me Spectrum games from there, £9.99 for a cassette tape ffs :D

Aye bought the first Champ Man for the PC there :D 1995. The only icecream thing I remember was near Blacket Bridge, and up to where there's a cashpoint now, like off the beaten track.

Whenever, I was going to me nana's we'd get mince pies from Greggs up the top of the Green Market, then down the escalators and through the market to the 21 stop and every time I was walking past the Black Garter, I always wanted to go in and see it so much as a kid, definitely one thing in my life where my mental impression of it was better than the reality in later years :razz:

:D Whilst waiting for the bus down to the boro game me and a mate went into the garter at 9am, I was expecting it to be dead but it was heaving with all sorts of creatures. Some bloke got a pint, sat down with a group of people near us and said "Good morning my fellow alcoholics" and he wasnt joking either!

:D I fuckin have no idea how they do it. Someone our age our size should be able to do it, but the thought of drinking before 11 makes me reach now. Last time I did it was when we went out the World Cup against Brazil, 730am, was in Dobsons.

Hamley's was there in 1990 I know that much, cos I remember it being there during the 1990 World Cup. I tell you how I remember, a ridiculous amount of kids from schools all over the city would descend on McDonalds on Northumberland Street during the World Cup, because they had these scratch cards, and I think it was no purchase necessary. You'd scratch the question at the top and they were piss easy for me, cos football was my life, "who was top scorer in the 78 World Cup", well every fucka knows it's Kempes, once you'd done that, you scratched your prize at the bottom and the worst it ever was, was chips, so it was always mobbed that summer, and Hamley's was next door.

Speaking of free things from Food and drink type stuff, can you remember coca cola/fanta/sprite yo-yos?

Quinn's 4th goal on his debut in 1989. 50 seconds in and yours truly, aged 12 is seen in Co-op ball-boy garb running towards Mick Quinn to celebrate. :D

Very emotive watching this like. Twenty years ago in a few months time. Where have the years went. I remember this was the first game we were allowed to go on our own, I remember leaving my mates after the game, and getting the metro to Walkergate and walking to me nana's :D:( god rest her soul and her giving me 50p to get some chips from the chippy on Sutton Street :razz::D :D :D :D Life was a lot less complicated then, and so was going to the match.

That chippy is now a Thai takeaway which seems permanently closed and is manky. I was in the corner for Quinny's debut that day with my mates and obviously lapped it up. My dad used to take me to the games about 85-ish and we would also get off at Walkergate Metro and walk past Ron McGarry's bookies on the corner of the Fossway and Scrogg road. McGarrry would sometimes be standing outside and ask us how the game was as he could see me with my NUFC cap on. I remember my dad telling me that he used to play for NUFC but I thought my dad was only kidding as he seemed an old man to me. It wasn't till I got a bit older that I realised he did! :D

I've said it before, but this thread is pure gold.

I remember listening to 'it's a goal!' on radio Newcastle for the Coventry game and diving all over the bedroom when the goals went in, and the Liverpool cup game was great until the game actually started!

Guest Barrack Road

Speaking of free things from Food and drink type stuff, can you remember coca cola/fanta/sprite yo-yos?

Aye I could never get the hang of the fuckers :razz: everyone else doing these impressive tricks and I could hardly get it to come back up. Ooh that sounds rude.

Definitely wasn't there long although I was too old for 'toys' when it opened anyway. Maybe open for 2 years. As for yo-yos, I couldn't get the hang of the fuckers either :razz:

Aye I could never get the hang of the fuckers :razz: everyone else doing these impressive tricks and I could hardly get it to come back up. Ooh that sounds rude.

Ha, totally forgot about them, I had a fanta one with a blue rim. I remember you could get a little booklet with all the tricks in... never managed owt fancier than a "breakaway" I think, but must have had a million tellings of my mam about not trying the "round the world" in the front room.

As for Hamleys that was class but very short lived if I remember correctly. Used to sell more fancy stuff than you could find in Fenwicks I think - I remember my da getting me one of them balsa wood planes with the elastic band running inside the length of it for the propeller. Smashed it to smithereens on its maiden flight on Beacon's Field down in Cullercoats. Them were the days...

Fenwicks toy floor at christmas was magic. I used to like Dixons as well. What was the name of the shop that sold loads of airfix kits, model cars and train sets?

Wasnt Beaties was it?

Fenwicks toy floor at christmas was magic. I used to like Dixons as well. What was the name of the shop that sold loads of airfix kits, model cars and train sets?

Was it Beattie's?

Fucking hell, yes! That was it. Loved that place.

Down on Pilgrim St just past the Odeon cinema wasn't it? :D

Did anyone else suffer horrendous static shocks in Bainbridge? We used to rub our feet on the carpet and touch an unsuspecting victiom on the ear. It knacked.

Fucking hell yes. Glass shelving with metal framework and nylon carpet. My mam convinced me it was deterrent to stop you picking things up and instead 'look with your eyes' :razz:

Oh yes.. had loads of them - there was a craze in school to get a compass and scratch off half the 'N' and the final 'A' on the Fanta ones so it said 'Fart' *snigger* :D

So who else remembers the restaurant in BHS with the holes in the wall every so often to put your tray in once you'd finished that'd whizz off around to the kitchen? :razz:

Guest Barrack Road

Wasnt Beaties was it?

Was it Beattie's?

Did anyone else suffer horrendous static shocks in Bainbridge? We used to rub our feet on the carpet and touch an unsuspecting victiom on the ear. It knacked.

Fucking hell yes. Glass shelving with metal framework and nylon carpet. My mam convinced me it was deterrent to stop you picking things up and instead 'look with your eyes' :razz:

Oh yes.. had loads of them - there was a craze in school to get a compass and scratch off half the 'N' and the final 'A' on the Fanta ones so it said 'Fart' *snigger* :D

Aye that's it. Became the NEEB iirc. What was that neet club past the bus stop called again heading East still opposite the OB station, THE biggest dive there's ever been in Newcastle, I can't remember it's name though.

The building itself you're on about was the original Newcastle and Gateshead Electricity Building (or similar) before it became the NEEB. Art Deco-type building on the corner of Pilgrim Street.

Wasnt Beaties was it?

Was it Beattie's?

Aye that's it. Became the NEEB iirc. What was that neet club past the bus stop called again heading East still opposite the OB station, THE biggest dive there's ever been in Newcastle, I can't remember it's name though.

Wasnt buzz or something like that was it?

Guest Barrack Road

Wasnt Beaties was it?

Was it Beattie's?

Was it not Pasha and it had some other name before that as well.

29155_388504132258_511647258_3833630_2748308_n.jpg

Demolishing the Leazes End - 1978

29155_388504142258_511647258_3833631_4682163_n.jpg

In 1978, the large Leazes End was demolsihed and reduced. The hardcore supporters were transfered to the Gallowgate End, whilst the new smaller Leazes End predominantly housed the away support.

29155_388504117258_511647258_3833627_5645640_n.jpg

St James' in 1958 shortly after the installation of floodlights.

29155_388503852258_511647258_3833620_4583065_n.jpg

Extensive redevelopment of St James' Park was completed in 1905, with larger terracing and a new main stand, which at the time was state of the art, containing club offices and boardroom, changing rooms, a players' billiards room and even a swimming pool. Capacity increased to over 60,000 although no limits were placed on the stadium and crowds were often above this.

This picture was taken in 1929, shortly before the Leazes End was given a roof.

29155_388503857258_511647258_3833621_2364058_n.jpg

St James' Park during the 1930s, staging an Athletics meeting, which it did regularly just before, during and after World War 2. The Leazes End is now covered.

29155_388503862258_511647258_3833622_3973556_n.jpg

Strawberry Place/Gallowgate Entrance - 1950s

29155_388503842258_511647258_3833618_4451465_n.jpg

Ground Development Work - 1899

29155_388503847258_511647258_3833619_3435643_n.jpg

Levelling the pitch to reduce the slope and constructing a small timber stand.

29042_387248476445_656896445_4193274_269820_n.jpg

The old west stand demolition, 1987

26060_387182621445_656896445_4191630_7988896_n.jpg

St James' Park, c 1950's.

26060_387161661445_656896445_4191345_5031174_n.jpg

Newcastle vs Sunderland - 1904

25790_386911886445_656896445_4183505_4826868_n.jpg

St James Park - 1990ish

Wasnt Beaties was it?

Was it Beattie's?

Was it not Pasha and it had some other name before that as well.

23778_1389528532688_1066331363_1148667_2179068_n.jpg

supporters c.1977

That's the one! Good spot Craig :razz:

Did any other '70/'80s child on here have a Big-Trak? It was a sort of programmable remote control tank.

Fuck yes! :D

Guest Barrack Road

That's the one! Good spot Craig :razz:

Did any other '70/'80s child on here have a Big-Trak? It was a sort of programmable remote control tank.

I had one but I programmed it to go from the bathroom down the stairs to see what would happen, and the fucka broke. Du du duuuuuuuuu crunch bang clink fuck. They were about £100 which was a lot of money in them days.

1970s SJP

25141_380041421626_608746626_4201617_7972016_n.jpg

25141_380041416626_608746626_4201616_5590154_n.jpg

The 'old' club shop...

25141_380041441626_608746626_4201621_7128036_n.jpg

There arnt many pics around of the old Leazes shed, it was mental in there at times, it would kick off between Kenton and the Big lamp mobs and many others lol... Fekin Mad

Edited by Knackers