Winston Churchill

snakehips

Guest Barrack Road
are you not interested in the Pacific b/c the brits had their asses kicked by the Japs in the Pacific?

I'm fairly sure that the surrender at Singapore went down as a massive disgrace/shame on the British army.

and we defeated a Jap army at Imphal-Kohima, ejected them from Burma and were all set to re invade Malaya

not too shabby when you think we also fought the Jormans from 1939 -we never had the benefit of two years sitting on the sidelines like our allies...................

........and 8000 miles away from home. America's contribution :lol: .

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Barrack Road
Regarding the 50 year debt we were paying back to the Americans, Stevie: Wasn't that the loan we secured after the war in order to make ends meet? Someone will remember the guy's name (I'm getting worse at remembering names) who went over to the US asking for financial help. The American's, quite rightly, said 'take it or leave it' when what was hoped for didn't exactly match up to our expectations. We had no option but to take it.

One thing I've been thinking about the loan we took out, surely it helped create the National Health Service?

Mate do you understand what we gave them? We basically gave them the basis of what we know as modern technology, for nothing.

Yeah, I knew that. That is a fact. We were trying to establish some sort of trust between us. Apparently the Americans were shocked at how much we knew in certain areas of technology.

But we still went for a loan after the war. Sure of it.

Shocked????? Our technology was like 3D Tellies compared to black and white portables in comparison to what those thick cunts had, and we just gave them it all away in one parcel on a boat which sailed from Liverpool.

Guest Barrack Road
Regarding the 50 year debt we were paying back to the Americans, Stevie: Wasn't that the loan we secured after the war in order to make ends meet? Someone will remember the guy's name (I'm getting worse at remembering names) who went over to the US asking for financial help. The American's, quite rightly, said 'take it or leave it' when what was hoped for didn't exactly match up to our expectations. We had no option but to take it.

One thing I've been thinking about the loan we took out, surely it helped create the National Health Service?

Mate do you understand what we gave them? We basically gave them the basis of what we know as modern technology, for nothing.

in what regard? please be a little more succinct and less broad.

Are you thick? Do you actually know anything about the history of the war? This is a classic example of the sheer ignorance of them.

are you not interested in the Pacific b/c the brits had their asses kicked by the Japs in the Pacific?

I'm fairly sure that the surrender at Singapore went down as a massive disgrace/shame on the British army.

and we defeated a Jap army at Imphal-Kohima, ejected them from Burma and were all set to re invade Malaya

not too shabby when you think we also fought the Jormans from 1939 -we never had the benefit of two years sitting on the sidelines like our allies...................

two years of sitting on the sidelines and providing weapons and supplies to the allies surely.

Guest Barrack Road

Go on then, elaborate on this if you can.

I'm aware that we helped them out breaking codes (Enigma etc) and were involved (but certainly not central) to the Manhatten project, but what other technology did we give them? I'd think the German's should feel more aggrieved for having their rocket program nicked.

You're interested in the war and you don't honestly know :lol:

Just pipe down honestly.

Yeah, I knew that. That is a fact. We were trying to establish some sort of trust between us. Apparently the Americans were shocked at how much we knew in certain areas of technology.

Shocked????? Our technology was like 3D Tellies compared to black and white portables in comparison to what those thick cunts had, and we just gave them it all away in one parcel on a boat which sailed from Liverpool.

In one parcel? What the fuck was it, the Ark of the Covenant?

I think you're referring to Enigma. In any case, why not just supply some links?

Guest Barrack Road

two years of sitting on the sidelines and providing weapons and supplies to the allies surely.

Which we designed.

in what regard? please be a little more succinct and less broad.

Are you thick? Do you actually know anything about the history of the war? This is a classic example of the sheer ignorance of them.

ooops sorry for the confusion there Stevie/Barrack......succinct means "clear, precise expression in few words"....sorry ok go on then explain.

I'm aware that we helped them out breaking codes (Enigma etc) and were involved (but certainly not central) to the Manhatten project, but what other technology did we give them? I'd think the German's should feel more aggrieved for having their rocket program nicked.

It was Andrew Marr who told me. If he tells me it, then I believe him :lol:

EDIT: It wasn't ENIGMA. It was a whole load of stuff. Marr tells the story of some guy getting into a taxi, all on his lonesome, carrying a bag containing a vast array of Top Secret stuff with him - technology included.

Edited by snakehips

You're interested in the war and you don't honestly know :lol:

Just pipe down honestly.

Links. And add the ones about Japan being able to reach Chicago and the Russian Doomsday device while you're at it.

Guest Barrack Road

In one parcel? What the fuck was it, the Ark of the Covenant?

I think you're referring to Enigma. In any case, why not just supply some links?

In technological terms it was like Ark Of The Covenant, The Turin Shroud, Noah's Arc and the ball Kenny Wharton sat on all rolled in to one.

Guest Barrack Road

You can't even comprehend the ignorance of our own people Snakey, I can't. It's unbelievable, why do these people talk about subjects they know fuck all about, they genuinely don't know about the Tizard Mission.

Guest Barrack Road

Obviously Americans are brainwashed, and Canadians who bizarely don't class themselves as yanks are too, goes without saying. British people aren't though, and this thread typifies Renton desperate struggle to think of an anti British alternative student days inspired view. You're not a student anymore, it's ok to not have an alternative view.

Obviously Americans are brainwashed, and Canadians who bizarely don't class themselves as yanks are too, goes without saying. British people aren't though, and this thread typifies Renton desperate struggle to think of an anti British alternative student days inspired view. You're not a student anymore, it's ok to not have an alternative view.

the Tizard mission was an attempt to get the ball rolling on preparing for war (which Britain had no capacity for in terms of resources) and if the UK had only waited a couple of months til the US congress changed its tune and allowed the sale of arms to belligerent states, maybe ol' Tiz wouldn't have sold the farm. Turns out Winston was right in feeling uneasy with the arrangement.no use in complaining about it now though stevie, hindsight is 20/20 and all that.

as far as canadians not classing themselves as yanks, that's pretty rich coming from someone who has as much domestic regional xenophobia as yourself.......you welshman..... :lol:

The anti-American drivel posted in this thread is ridiculous, and I'm not even American.

Correct. It's ironic I'm having to defend America so much considering how much certain posters have accused me of being anti-American or even a 'hater of the West'. Crazy that some people can't see the enormous contribution the Americans have made as well as the occassional balls up.

If it carries on American will certainly do one thing and that is fuck up the whole planet. And they are well on the way there already...

as for Taiwan america will do nothing because if they did the chinese would call in their loans and really fuck with the US economy

What loans are these?

http://www.businessinsider.com/henry-blodg...loan-2009-3.....

how does 12 zeros grab ya?

They're treasuries, highly unlikely that China can call them in at will.

They cashed some just recently actually. :lol:

Let's put the wars aside a minute the criminal, fraudulent and destructive american banking system is single handedly fucking up the financial viability of 3/4 of the planet. It is the worlds biggest polluter bar none, it is the first worlds most undereducated country by a mile....IT IS A FUCKING BASKET CASE.

I can only think some people in this thread are watching Top Gun round the clock.

Edited by Park Life

Let's put the wars aside a minute the criminal, fraudulent and destructive american banking system is single handedly fucking up the financial viability of 3/4 of the planet. It is the worlds biggest polluter bar none, it is the first worlds most undereducated country by a mile....IT IS A FUCKING BASKET CASE.

I can only think some people in this thread are watching Top Gun round the clock.

yeah, ok...but we're talking about the US of the 1940's, not right now.

I just think it's humourous that S/B cannot fathom that the US was integral to the ending of WW2. what ever their part in it, however large or small, it WAS integral to the allies winning. without any one of the allies the war would have turned out very differently...period.

The anti-American drivel posted in this thread is ridiculous, and I'm not even American.

Course it is. There's no arguing with people who are willfully ignorant. Pointless to even try.

...CID....all due respect, I hope you don't count me in that number for anti-amercan drivel, I was just trying to point out to Stevie/Barrack that contrary to his belief, you guys DID swing the balance in WW2

Course I'm not counting you, man.

And Stevie's never going to believe we swung the balance any more than he'll believe that a club like Everton could possibly ever be important because of their support. That's why I'm saying it's pointless to try.

Maybe you hastened it, but it was an inevitability. We have the Russians to thank in the war for splitting the German war machine, as we would've been in major trouble if we were the only one fighting them long term, but we weren't preparing for war for 10 years like Germany, we don't have America to thank for anything, we gave them technology 40 years in advance of what they had for nothing, and what did they give us in return? A 50 year debt burden for arming us. I know plenty of people who respect America less than me as well. Embarrassment of a nation, ultimately our creation so you could say we have no one to blame but ourselves.

Who's asking you to thank us for anything? You're the one who brought America up in the first place in this thread.

It's like a lot of your other posts in general chat where you crowbar in some somewhat random opinion on a topic, then when people ask you for proof regarding your seemingly controversial stance on said topic, you change the subject. In this thread you've said that England didn't need the Americans to win WWII, but you seem like you're bent out of shape because we sat on the sidelines too long. Which is it? We should have helped out sooner or you didn't need the help at all? Not that it really matters of course, because all this really boils down to another vehicle for you to bitch about America and Americans.

You hate America (Russia, et al), embarassment of a nation, bunch of cunts, etc., etc. and just like all your other opinions, nobody is going to change your mind. We get it.

Now, how about that Landon Donovan? :lol:

Course it is. There's no arguing with people who are willfully ignorant. Pointless to even try.

...CID....all due respect, I hope you don't count me in that number for anti-amercan drivel, I was just trying to point out to Stevie/Barrack that contrary to his belief, you guys DID swing the balance in WW2

And Stevie's never going to believe we swung the balance any more than he'll believe that a club like Everton could possibly ever be important because of their support. That's why I'm saying it's pointless to try.

Maybe you hastened it, but it was an inevitability. We have the Russians to thank in the war for splitting the German war machine, as we would've been in major trouble if we were the only one fighting them long term, but we weren't preparing for war for 10 years like Germany, we don't have America to thank for anything, we gave them technology 40 years in advance of what they had for nothing, and what did they give us in return? A 50 year debt burden for arming us. I know plenty of people who respect America less than me as well. Embarrassment of a nation, ultimately our creation so you could say we have no one to blame but ourselves.

Who's asking you to thank us for anything? You're the one who brought America up in the first place in this thread.

It's like a lot of your other posts in general chat where you crowbar in some somewhat random opinion on a topic, then when people ask you for proof regarding your seemingly controversial stance on said topic, you change the subject. In this thread you've said that England didn't need the Americans to win WWII, but you seem like you're bent out of shape because we sat on the sidelines too long. Which is it? We should have helped out sooner or you didn't need the help at all? Not that it really matters of course, because all this really boils down to another vehicle for you to bitch about America and Americans.

You hate America (Russia, et al), embarassment of a nation, bunch of cunts, etc., etc. and just like all your other opinions, nobody is going to change your mind. We get it.

Well it might have helped if you weren't finacing both sides.

You can't even comprehend the ignorance of our own people Snakey, I can't. It's unbelievable, why do these people talk about subjects they know fuck all about, they genuinely don't know about the Tizard Mission.

I saw the Marr show as well, couldn't remember the contents of the case (thought it was Enigma) - who would have thought cavity magnetoscopes were so important? And the Tizard mission was sanctioned by Churchill wasn't it? The man who on this very thread you have branded a hero? So we gave the yanks a bit of technology, in the understanding they would help supply us with everything from food to armanents. Seems like a fair deal to me.

Stevie, you mock my orthodox viewpoints on this thread - but have you got any idea how ridiculous you sound on it? Do you think you are some sort of expert because you know what the Tizard mission was? Do you seriously believe this would make much difference to their own war efforts considering their overwhelming advantage in resources?

P.S. Where are those other links you promised me? Been waiting months now for the Chicago/Japan one. Or direction to one of those 'well balanced' books you obviously read will do, cheers.

A fairly unbiased historian once said

"Britain, the USA and Russia all won the war - the British brought time and example, the Americans industrial might and organisation. the Russians space and manpower"

Seems fair enough to me

but when you think it took all three of them to put the jormans back in their box...........................

True but the yanks are a very, very distant third in all of that. So far distant that you'd need a train to reach where they are. Russia and Britain won the war.

Agreed us and the Russians took the brunt of it, while American war profiteering was rampant. The American people didn't even want to come into the war which says all you need to know about their commitment.

Some Americans didn't.

Have you two forgot the Americans had to deal with the Japanese ffs? They weren't a distant third by any margin, and we are endebted to them as much as the French are to us.

You are a nob. That's all I need to say.

Cheers. That reminds me, did you ever find any evidence that the Japanese could have taken the entire Western seaboard and mid-West of America if they had wanted to? Also if this is true, then the Americans did quite well in their war against them, didn't they? I'm sure you can find a link to the Russian Doomsday weapon while you're at it.

You've got less evidence to back up your ridiculous opinions than Parky has man. And when you can't, its the usual childish insult routine with you.

We owe the Americans as much as the French owe us?????? You are a disgrace, a clueless pseudo-intellectual. I'll reply properly later.

Your letting your irrational dislike of virtually all other nationalities get the better of you as usual. What do you think would have happened to the UK had the American's stayed truly neutral - i.e. not supplied us and the Russians with arms etc (albeit at a price). We'd have been fucked. Then they lost thousands in Normandy and beyond fighting a war that wasn't even directly involving their continent - and helped liberate France amonst others. Do you not think they deserve a bit more respect for that? Because I do.

As for this pseudointellectual jibe - what complete bollocks. I'm no historian but I know enough to know when you talk shite like this.

You got the last bit right I'll give you that. We gave them all of the tools to win the war in the fuckin first place, for free, absolutely fuck all it cost them. You can't definitively say we wouldn't have won the war on our side without their rag tag army coming over anyway. Who's to say we wouldn't have mobilised people from other parts of the empire. America had the industrial might to arm us, and we were still fucking paying for it 50 years later. They are a disgrace of a nation, had we joined forces with Hitler we'd have taken America without doubt in my mind. We and our stance in world war two was utterly and convincingly pivotal in to which way the world went, and you your bollocks can say what you like, read balanced books on world war 2 and you'll see.

I've always been interested in the second world war. Your viewpoint is utterly contrary to everything I've seen or read on it though, and there's a prevailing element of xenophobia in it. Tell you what though, direct me to some 'balanced' books and I'll take a look.

Btw, none of this takes away anything that the British did which was simply amazing. We had to pay a heavy price though - the loss of our empire, and the Americans naturally loved this. But in a way they were right, the age of empires had ended - we just have found it hard to accept it - some more than others.

As yours is to mine. 30m :jonas: I've read yank troop numbers who joined the western front as numbering between 1.5m and 3m. Sizeable but no more than us. It doesn't take 28.5m to make a nuke as well. The American Army have suffered more defeats and embarrassments on their own than Sunderland AFC in 05/06.

i knew you'd contest that....... :blush: .......let me see if i can dig it up.

World War II (1941-1945)

Total Servicemembers (Worldwide).............16,112,566

Battle Deaths................................................291,557

Other Deaths in Service (Non-Theater).............113,842

Non-mortal Woundings..................................671,846

Living Veterans (note 5)................................2,498,000

source....

http://www.veteranshour.com/facts_of_the_matter.htm

Ok, so I was a bit high, maybe they meant after the war as well to garrison all the places they now had bases....anyway Stevie...errr...Barrack, you never answered my question...who else from the Commonwealth could have responded to a call to arms?

All manner of cunts.

You're like Uncle Sam T Brockheimslapper. Those figures :lol: Would be interesting knowing their distribution, only a fraction of them were involved in the war proper. IE where it was going on. No ones interested in the Pacific.

Can't let thyat one pass, he's not interested because he is sooo wrong

US Battle caualties by theatre of war:

European Theater 586,628

Mediterranean Theater 175,107

Pacific area theaters 169,635

And on Churchill etc

The Battle of Britain was the defining moment for Churchill and gave him the platform for “popular” continued resistance. If a group of German bombers hadn’t got lost and bombed London we wouldn’t have immediately retaliated by bombing Germany (might have been Berlin can’t recall exactly) and Hitler wouldn’t have ordered the change of policy from bombing the RAF to the flattening British cities into rubble. At the time the RAF was about 48 hours away from ceasing to be a viable force, they were nearly at the point where they had nowhere to fly from, and were getting destroyed on the ground (some pilot memoirs I’ve read in the past stated a day) the change of policy gave them the respite they needed.

If the Luftwaffe had gained total air superiority I find it hard to believe we wouldn’t have either been invaded, or sued for peace.

We were “lucky” but we had the right man at the head of the country to capitalise on that “luck” – and that is not to denigrate in any way the “few” – several of who were my boyhood heroes.

We held out long enough to become a viable second front (once Adolph decided to invade Russia) and when the US entered the war. I wonder if they would have intervened in Europe if Adolph had chosen not to declare war on them with Japan, Germany got nothing out of that deal, the Japanese never contributed in the west and didn’t even attack Russia in the east, if they had it could have been Russia with the two fronts to deal with.

Well it might have helped if you weren't finacing both sides.

What, the Galaxy & the Toffees? I didn't know AEG had any holdings in the People's Club...

If we were so technologically advanced I wonder why they had dishwashers, huge fridges and big cars while we were still using outdoor netties.

The British have been incredibly inventive and have contributed one hell of a lot to the world of Science and Technology, but to imply that this means the US somehow were reliant on us for these things is idiocy.

Of the top of my head, the Americans have been responsible for the first manned flight, first mass production of the car and many other consumer goods, most modern military technology, development of the computer and internet, and development of the first fission and fusion nuclear bombs. Not to mention the small feat of landing a man on the moon. They are also responsible for the majority of science and medical publications, although we punch above our weight on that score too.