British fucking Telecom

peasepud

As per my post in the Bandwidth thread, my home broadband has been throttled by BT because I used 56Gb in the first week of March, of course being BT they dont tell you as normal companies would oh no, they send you an email to an email address they made you setup at the time of registering. An email address which Ive never had any intention or need to log into.

It gets better though, their idea of throttling your bandwidth is to allow you to be connected at full speed for 2 minutes and then disconnect you for 30 seconds!

Unfuckingbelievable.

I found this out when I rang up the helpline on Monday to report the fault on my line, the fault that meant I lost connection every 2 minutes. The helpline then did some digging and agreed to remove the throttle "there you go sir that be working it will now, having you a nice day" they said.

The problem continued however so tonight at 7.40 I rang up to give them hell and was put in a queue, cue 20 minutes of phone ringing and every other minute a woman saying "all our operators are busy, thank you for being patient we will answer your call shortly".

That was until the clock struck 8, at which point the woman came on and said "Thank you for calling BT, our service centre is operational between 8am and 8pm, please call again tomorrow"

Absolute cocks :lol:

the only outfit that have ever reduced me to tears - twice......

on the other hand I've had some really good help from their people in the Sub-Continent

Sadled meself with some wanky contract which I didn't look at...Yes I'm a wanker. :lol:

For me it was the fact I'd have to wait an extra 2 weeks to get Broadband in if I went with someone else, all down I may add to the way in which BT works.

I'll be waiting for the first chance to change back to O2.

Sadled meself with some wanky contract which I didn't look at...Yes I'm a wanker. :D

For me it was the fact I'd have to wait an extra 2 weeks to get Broadband in if I went with someone else, all down I may add to the way in which BT works.

I'll be waiting for the first chance to change back to O2.

How quickly can we get out without a penalty? :lol:

Asked for a MAC code from Sky last night, 6 months into a 12 month contract, and got it no problem.

Now I can't decide whether to go with Be or O2. No LLU or cable available in my area.

Asked for a MAC code from Sky last night, 6 months into a 12 month contract, and got it no problem.

Now I can't decide whether to go with Be or O2. No LLU or cable available in my area.

I never had a problem with O2 and if youve got one of their mobiles it only costs about £7.50 p/m for unlimited.

Both will be shit; they're the same network and IPstream (ie resold non-LLU services) are gash. Go with whoever's cheapest.

Edited by nufc4ever

Both will be shit; they're the same network and IPstream (ie resold non-LLU services) are gash. Go with whoever's cheapest.

:lol:

be there is an llu service and they are the only isp who are truly unlimited afaik. theres a thread on their forums with people competing to see who has uploaded and downloaded the most. i thought i was a heavy user but some posters make me look like an amatuer.

be there have also started offering bonded lines whereby 2 phone lines (if you have 2 lines) and 2 internet subscriptions can be 'bonded' to give upto 48 meg down and 5meg up.

If you don't use mega amounts of band width then I can't help but recommend Zen Broadband. It won the Which Magazine award for best customer service and customer satisfaction, and even better is that you are on a rolling month-to-month contract, so if you do want to change providers then you aren't tied into one of these long 18 month contracts. Their call centre is based in England and is run by all English people (if that sort of thing matters to you), and they have a handy 'Web Chat' feature that you can use to talk to them in an MSN-style IM window (which I found to be quite an odd experience. I was unsure if the likes of "lol" and "brb" were accepted etiquette in such a chat! )

But if you really are looking for a new ISP, then at least check them out!

dont think I'd get 56gig if I left my broadband downloading a file at full tilt for a week

service is shite around here

Same. Took me two days to download footy manager which was only 2gig. And when i go over my bandwidth with BT (10gb) i get charged £1 for every gb i go over.

Edited by Kevin

O2 own Be btw so you end up running on the same network. If you are an O2 customer, you get a reduced rate (£7.50 for the base package) which is great. I'm a Be customer and an O2 customer. I haven't switched yet because I had all kinds of ISP issues a couple of years ago when I ended up moving between Demon>Sky (couldn't ftp)>Virgin(0.1mb speed)>Be (great). I'm scared to move again even though it's technically the same company.

I use mine for work purposes and I need something which is quick and reliable. I'm worried that if I switch to a consumer brand like O2 I might eventually end up in the same boat as I was with Sky/Virgin. Be are more expensive, but apart from a few router problems (wireless disconnects - fixed with firmware upgrade) Be have been excellent. As a dedicated ISP, I think its worth sticking with them for now (although the £10/mth saving is really tempting).

Both my Brother and Father in Law are with O2 and have no problems. Well, other than the fact I cant reliably connect to wor kid on XBL - but that's a separate issue (a looooooooooooong ongoing one at that). My Dad would be with O2 if he was in a suitable area.

BT are consistently shite at many things though.

be there is an llu service and they are the only isp who are truly unlimited afaik

Virgin Media XXL (the 50Mb one) is unlimited as far as I can tell - I used to get throttled on the 20Mb but not since the upgrade.

be there is an llu service and they are the only isp who are truly unlimited afaik

Virgin Media XXL (the 50Mb one) is unlimited as far as I can tell - I used to get throttled on the 20Mb but not since the upgrade.

That will change I'm sure once the numbers increase. Virgin are the worst ISP I've ever had in 15+ years of being an ISP subscriber.