Newcastle want director of football

Christmas Tree

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a problem with a DoF, but I'd be afraid that the DoF would just be an old manager who never really got the tactics right. I would be ok with a man who (on CH's behest) investigates 1st team strengthening, but has free reign with regards to youth development. That man should also be able to put forward ideas for links with other clubs, community projects, PR drives, etc.

I don't believe Chris Hughton to be a particularly ego-driven man and I believe that if any manager could work with a DoF it's him.

IIRC, this would have been the setup he had to work under when he was coach at Tottenham. He may be used to this already...

You mean when he was coach under martin Jol....who Damien Comolli undermined out of the job?

Just because he's seen it before, doesn't mean it works. Spurs only started their current revival after Comolli was sacked along with Ramos and full control was returned to the manager.

As I see it, the Director of Football role can only work in two ways:

1. A business minded man who deals with the more financial aspects of football, links with other clubs etc. They may work with the manager over issues such as player contracts and transfer targets, but the manager decides how hard to push for the player to sign a new contract, and which players should be brought in. So the manager decides on the squad, does the training, but doesn't get too distracted by flying to Brazil to sign a player, and worry about the finer details of the contract negotiations.

2. A footballing figure who scouts for players on behalf of the club, identifies young players and concentrates on managing the academy side of things. Again, the manager has the say on who stays, goes, and comes in, and also has control of the 1st team affairs, but leaves the youth set up to the D of F.