Collicni and Guitierez in Argie World Cup 30

LeazesMag

ashley probably hoping they put some good performances in while they're in the shop window

LOL I wouldn't be suprised tbh.

:icon_lol: £££££££££ B)

• 6 months later...
Fabricio Coloccini’s troubled afternoon at Bolton has again raised doubts about his ability to deal with physical forwards, but the Argentinian is a lot tougher than you think.

AT its worst Fabricio Coloccini would quietly leave the training ground without sharing a word with any of his team-mates, head home, shut the door and cry as he tried to cope with what felt like a terrible mistake.

Unable to speak the language, unable to do himself justice at a new club and unable to get to grips with life on or off the pitch in a foreign country, Coloccini wept when he was alone.

He was lonely, depressed, homesick and, at its worst, the Argentinian feared he could not go on.

Given the trouble he had in his first season at Newcastle United, the four different managers, the poor performances on the pitch, the difficulty in settling into a new lifestyle in England, it is a wonder he is still here.

Yet, Coloccini did not shed a tear on Tyneside.

He never wondered if he had made a massive mistake in coming to England – he only wished he could put things right.

He knew he was being criticised and he knew he had failed to justify a £10.3m price tag, but he was determined to put the record straight – he was determined to turn a failure into a success.

Even at its very worst, Coloccini knew things would never be as bad as they had once been.

Coloccini, who will begin a three-match ban when Chelsea arrive at St James’s Park on Sunday, said: “I miss Argentina sometimes, but mainly just my family, not the country.

“I have been gone 10 years. I left very early when I was 17 to go to AC Milan, so I am used to being away.

“It might have been hard in my first year at Newcastle, but it was never as hard as it was then.

“I was homesick and I wanted to go home. In my first two years in Italy I used to go home after training, shut the door and cry. That toughened me up.

“Everything that happened at Newcastle, I was tough enough to deal with it.

“I have never regretted coming to England to play for Newcastle. I am not that type of person.

“My first season was hard, but I never wished I had not come.

“When I was in Spain, I told my agent and my manager at Deportivo I wanted to play in England.

“I had always wanted to play here because I knew it would be completely different.

“I wanted to come because it was a completely different challenge for me, as a footballer and as a man.

“For me, it is the best league in the world. Even though people in Argentina follow Spanish football, we know this is the best league, the most exciting league, so I wanted to come here and prove myself.

“I had played in Italy and Spain and this was the last one for me to try. Ever since I came to Europe, I wanted to come to England. Not all Argentinians are the same, but that is me. I like to do things differently.”

Plenty of foreign footballers have come to England, pocketed the inflated wages and left again without any consideration for what people think about them or the legacy they left behind.

As Coloccini insists, though, he is different. He does care and it makes him to proud to think he has altered perceptions.

He added: “When results are not good and the team is finding it difficult, it is hard to be happy off the pitch. When Kevin Keegan left, it was a surprise and then we had so many different managers in such a short period of time.

“I had never known anything like it before and this was all in my first season in England.

“The club had a lot of problems and that caused problems for the team.

“When we were relegated I could not believe it.

“I did not think that would ever happen when I signed.

“After relegation I had to think about what I was going to do, but I never really thought about leaving. For me that would have meant I was a failure. I would have left as a loser and I did not want to leave like that.

“That is not me, I did not come to England to leave after one bad season so all people in England thought I was a bad player and a waste of Newcastle’s money.

“I came to England to triumph and it did not take me long to decide I wanted to stay, even though we were not in the Premier League.

“I felt so much better last summer knowing I had helped get the club back there.

“It would have been embarrassing for me to leave England after one relegation.

“I hope I have done a lot better since that first season, and I hope people do not think I am a failure anymore.” Coloccini knows one man has helped him through that reinvention.

Whether he would have remained had Alan Shearer become manager last summer he does not know, but Chris Hughton has helped rebuild his confidence and enabled him to adapt to his surroundings.

He even made him captain for the game against Wigan last month.

Collocini added: “Chris is a small man but he is a big man. He has been very important to me in the team.

“Chris is a good manager and a good man as well.”

• 1 year later...