The Cycling Thread

Geordieracer

Pulled mine out (wehey) to get going again. Trying to cycle to work a few times (a month!). 20 mile each way. today was canny, but then it was sunny and overall decline of around 700ft over the distance. Going backs slightly different! Got my old mountain bike still and am considering keeping it or changing for a road bike?

Put some slicks on it if you dont use it to MTB. Cheaper than buying a road bike.

Put some slicks on it if you dont use it to MTB. Cheaper than buying a road bike.

Fair point, they make a big difference?

Fair point, they make a big difference?

Aye, you will deffo notice the difference.

Depends if you are gonna ride more than just commuting too, i.e leisure riding. Then maybe look at a road bike.

I stuck slicks on my mountain bike and it definitely makes a difference riding on the road. Mines a 29er too though, which probably helps. Doesn't compare with the road bike, but it's definitely cheaper than buying a new bike!

The commute is mostly on the C2C7 Durham to Sunderland route. That plus the local stuff I do is prob 30% road, 50% decent cycle path, 20% cycle track.

Good news that Kittel was struggling a bit yesterday. Was getting a bit boring with him looking so dominant.

Am I right in saying Stage 8 is the next hilly stage?

Aye, its the first proper test.

@@Gemmill @@wykikitoon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/cycling-shorts-Coolmax%C2%AE-padding-quality/dp/B00FV1AYF4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1405198561&sr=8-5&keywords=cycling+bib+shorts

Would you see these are alright for a pair of bib shorts? Never wore bib shorts before but been doing some reading and apparently they're a better fit than normal shorts. I don't want to be spending a fortune on cycling gear which is why I'm looking to buy stuff on a budget.

Funnily enough, I just bought a pair recently. I don't know a lot about this stuff, but what I would say is that the cheaper you go, the thinner the chamois pad is likely to be. I got some dhb ones off wiggle, and I'm a bit disappointed in how thin the pad is. Fine for an hour or two, but I don't think they'd be much fun for longer than that.

The best cheap shorts I've found in terms of padding are Tenn ones. They do bib shorts for 30 quid, which is still canny cheap:

http://www.tenn-outdoors.co.uk/mens-bib-front-cycling-shorts-with-moulded-pad--black-s

By the way, you look a right cunt in them, but they are a lot more comfortable. They flatten your belly too. :lol:

I used to have (and probably still do somewhere) a set which had a full length of leg for the winter which ended up looking even worse - like a semi-fat cunt ballet dancer in black.