The Cycling Thread

Geordieracer

• 2 weeks later...

Just went out for the first time in clipless pedals. Did two pretty embarrassing wipeouts in the first five minutes where I did sideways timberrrrrr falls to the ground when I realised I'd come to a standstill without unclipping. After that though, I got it sussed.

Special shoutout to the lass in completely see through leggings with seemingly no kegs on, who got into trouble in front of me on a narrow bridge. Kept turning round to apologise while I was taking in the sights. Believe me, you have nothing to apologise for.

Just went out for the first time in clipless pedals. Did two pretty embarrassing wipeouts in the first five minutes where I did sideways timberrrrrr falls to the ground when I realised I'd come to a standstill without unclipping. After that though, I got it sussed.

Special shoutout to the lass in completely see through leggings with seemingly no kegs on, who got into trouble in front of me on a narrow bridge. Kept turning round to apologise while I was taking in the sights. Believe me, you have nothing to apologise for.

Once you get used to them they're mint aren't they?

best things to get on the bike are clipless pedals. allow you to transfer power better and use different parts of legs so you don't just stomp.

the other important stuff is contact points on the bike. get good gloves and decent bibshorts. ensure your saddle suits you!

do a bikefit, the amount of folks i see with too short a seat height and the seat too far back or forward.

Looking forward to doing my 84 miler as soon as it gets warm. Toon, S Shields, Sunderland, CLS, Stanley, Consett, Slaley Hall, Hexham, Wylam, Toon. I implore people to do it, but... only do it if you're fit because it's hard work, espcially when you have a pint every 10 miles like me.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't wear lycra, you crazy bastard. This is all done on a mountain bike, although thinking about getting a road bike next year.

It's class getting out in the countryside in a bike though, far preferable to lifting weights in a gym. :razz:

Did the intensive maintenance course at Edinburgh Cycles at Byker yesterday - well worth it for anyone who rides a bike regularly. Learnt a canny bit - some stuff I didn't expect to like servicing front and rear hubs and the stem, and some more common stuff like fixing chains, adjusting brakes and gears. 49 quid for the day and they pay for your lunch (sarnies delivered in from Dene's Deli).

got Back From doing the Liege Bastogne Liege Sportive this weekend. 174 miles of hills hills and more hills. some of those climbs are properly painful. 4444 metres of climbing.

nasty.

If you had a more Geordie sounding name like 'Tin of beans' rather than the more US sounding version, 'Can of beans' your biking trials would've been a little easier I'm sure.

:good:

• 2 weeks later...

If you had a more Geordie sounding name like 'Tin of beans' rather than the more US sounding version, 'Can of beans' your biking trials would've been a little easier I'm sure.

:good:

true that. reflecting on that weekend and the preceding tour of flanders....

If you guys were able to get across and do a “European Sportive”, I would heartily recommend either of these. The tour of Flanders sportive, and the Liege Bastogne Liege sportive.

You can do lower distance ones so you just get part of the course, such as the 80 mile tour of Flanders course, which has all the climbs and the fast last section... the full one is a bit dull as you’ve got 80 miles of flat lands, then the 80 miles where the course gets interesting.

If you want fun, do the flanders middle course, some of the climbs are real sods, and are cobbled, so you need to have good climbing skills. The last 7km is flat and very very fast. I was able to get up to a 31mph average over part of that section. If you want to really test yourself, LBL is definitely the course to go for. Its really really hard. There are 2 or 3 climbs that really really hurt.

Having been to a number of UK ones, they really don’t compare. Best thing is if you get a group going over it doesn’t cost a fortune.

The nhs does a cycling scheme. Choose a bike up to £1000, they split the price by 12, take it off your wage every month (pre tax) and you end up paying about £700 interest free with the savings on tax, NI and pension.

Any suggestions on a bike around £5-600 mark?

It'll depend what shop your scheme is with. Ours is with Evans so I had a decent range of choice, but my lass's is with Halfords which is more limited. Depends what style of bike you want to.

I'll preface all this by saying that I'm no expert, but... If you want something versatile, I'd get a cross bike (looks like a road bike but can be used for light off road stuff too). Gearing doesn't go as low as a mountain bike, and doesn't go as high as a road bike so you won't be as quick on the flat as a road bik, but you'll still be able to get to high 20s/low 30s mph which is where I start to shit myself anyway.

I'll let someone else help you out with actual models (or advice to get something else entirely), but as an example:

http://m.evanscycles.com/products/norco/threshold-a3-2014-cyclocross-bike-ec053834

I think it includes most shops. There's only 2 in chester Le street and they are both included in the scheme. There's a big new shop next to the market place so I'll have an ask in there. A cross bike sounds good though

I think it includes most shops. There's only 2 in chester Le street and they are both included in the scheme. There's a big new shop next to the market place so I'll have an ask in there. A cross bike sounds good though

its boring and predictable but a specialized allez is pretty much good enough to start out on. that has rather racy geometry, but can of course be adjusted. cross bikes are really good all rounders and offer 90% of the full fat race bike experience for not much out lay.

other good bikes in this price bracket... Caad8 ( from cannondale), Fuji sportif, Giant defy, cannodale synapse. all are good bikes.

I know it's not close to you but I got mine on the same scheme from Start Cycles in Newcastle and they really were excellent.