The Cycling Thread

Geordieracer

Despite his past I think I would quite like to see Contador do it. His style when riding is my favourite out of the lot and it would be a great thing to achieve.

Even though nobody has ever done it (I think?) I reckon he would try and nail the Vuelta too if he won The Tour.

Despite his past I think I would quite like to see Contador do it. His style when riding is my favourite out of the lot and it would be a great thing to achieve.

Even though nobody has ever done it (I think?) I reckon he would try and nail the Vuelta too if he won The Tour.

Yeah. I agree. He's the most exciting rider and probably the most talented of his generation. I personally can't stand Froome gazing at his fucking stem the whole way up every mountain. Boring as fuck. I just think he'll be in peak condition and so will his team. He'll be very hard to beat. I think everyone's best hope is that Froome falls off and loses time along the way. Which definitely could happen because he has shown he's a shit bike handler time and time again so we'll see what happens.

I'd like to see Bertie do the Giro/Tour double too but I don't think it can be done these days. No one has done it since Pantani in '98, and well you know? For him to then go on and do the Vuelta as well would be absolutely mind blowing. Not even LA was that brash. ;)

I like Quintana too so I'd like to see him do well but he seems to fade in the third week typically. It will be interesting to see if his recovery has improved with the experience of a few Tours in his legs.

For me Nibali doesn't have a chance this year. He won last year because Bertie was riding on one leg. Froome crashed out or whatever. Everyone pretty much self-destructed and Nibali won by default. If everyone stays upright this year, imo, Nibali will get left behind. Plus just looking at a few results leading into the Tour, Nibali's form doesn't seem great.

Will defo be great to watch though. I love the Tour so bring on the next three weeks.

Didn't Nibali look like his form was nowhere going into last year too though? Fwiw I don't think he'll with either though.

It's gonna be class, I think it's between Froome and Contador but hopefully it'll stay really close right to the end.

Yeah. I think you're right Gem. Armstrong like rise in form for the Tour whilst riding for Astana... hmmmm. ;)

Yeah hoping for an interesting third week so fingers crossed there are still at least two in it by that stage. Hoping that having so few TT kms will help keep it pretty close.

The first week should be interesting too, Stage 3 up the Mur de Huy at the end will be good (it's the finish to Fleche Wallonie) then the cobble stage the next day should be interesting too.

Excited for it to get going.

Fell asleep before the big names last night. Just checked the results. Great to see another Aussie in yellow with Rohan Dennis.

I'm surprised to see Froome so far down. I thought the route was long enough that he'd get going and be higher up than that. I guess he must be looking to ride a bit more form into his legs.

Good ride from Quintana to basically lose nothing to the other favourites proved my prediction to be completely wrong. :)

Great ride from Pinot as well. I'd like to see a Frenchy do well in their own race, so I hope he is around the podium when they get to Paris.

The rest day was historically injection day for Armstrong and his team. Then they'd come out the next day and mutilate the opposition. Same thing here today.

Richie Porte is the stupidest domestic in history. At least Armstrong's helpers had the good sense to drop off after Armstrong attacked so it wasn't so obvious they were all doped to their eye balls.

Fucking moron. Tasmanian inbred dipshit.

:lol: And Gerant Thomas finishes 5th.

I've watched cycling for twenty years and this Sky team is the worst. They are more blatant than Telekom in '97. More blatant than US Postal. More blatant than Landis.

This stinks to high heaven.

What an utter shambles Sky are making this sport.

The Dawg and Porte I can take going full retard but fuck me.

Gee Fucking Thomas saying he could have gone harder but didnt want to take Valverde to the line. :lol:

One minute a contender in the classics, next minute finishing on a HC climb with GT contenders

Fuck me Brailsfraud you bald fuck.

:lol: The one thing that makes me think Sky are on the level is Brailsford. That bloke has an insane amount to lose if he's running some sort of US Postal setup. I like Geraint Thomas as well, so I don't want him to be misbehaving. Froome seems ambitious and cutthroat enough to where I could believe he's naughty.

What an utter shambles Sky are making this sport.

The Dawg and Porte I can take going full retard but fuck me.

Gee Fucking Thomas saying he could have gone harder but didnt want to take Valverde to the line. :lol:

One minute a contender in the classics, next minute finishing on a HC climb with GT contenders

Fuck me Brailsfraud you bald fuck.

Yep. It's horrid.

What surprises me most with this whole thing is that the media seems to have amnesia and can't see that this has all happened before.

Except this is worse when you throw in Porte and Thomas. Porte was getting dropped for fun at the Giro. Now he's beating Quintana up a Hors Cat. climb at the Tour? Fuck right off. I hope when he changes teams next year he gets busted. Like Hamilton, Landis, and a thousand other ex-US Postal riders did back in the day.

Even that fucking tool shed Sherwen was comparing Froome to Armstrong. Talking about cadence, which was his traditional Bastille Day explanation for Armatrong's dominance.

He was obviously too conscious of making sure he left at least 60 seconds between each mention that Froome is from Kenya, to notice he was comparing Froome to the biggest cycling fraud ever. The clueless git.

Anyway, I'm done. I'll watch like I did every year with Armstrong. But I'll be shaking my head in disbelief at 100rpm.

:lol: The one thing that makes me think Sky are on the level is Brailsford. That bloke has an insane amount to lose if he's running some sort of US Postal setup. I like Geraint Thomas as well, so I don't want him to be misbehaving. Froome seems ambitious and cutthroat enough to where I could believe he's naughty.

You mean the knighthood? Can they be revoked? Is that a thing?

I would say Armstrong had more to lose than Brailsford. Armstrong was one of the most marketable sports celebrities in the world, with an enormous charity named after him, that millions of people loved and donated hundreds of millions of dollars to. I'd say that's more to lose than Queenies little honorific.