reformed smokers

Dr Gloom

Guest Tuco Ramirez
it's still driving me nuts but only when i've had a drink.

What is, being under the thumb or not smoking?

:)

ha, i don't know which one is worse.

smoking & no sex

or

sex & no smoking

i thoguth the under the thumb route would prove easier. so far hasn't been the case

Do you still have a geordie/mackem accent?

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

smoking & no sex

or

sex & no smoking

i thoguth the under the thumb route would prove easier. so far hasn't been the case

what a weird question. i've got a geordie twang, yeah. probably not as thick as it was when i was a nipper admittedly

Guest Tuco Ramirez

smoking & no sex

or

sex & no smoking

what a weird question. i've got a geordie twang, yeah. probably not as thick as it was when i was a nipper admittedly

Hows it weird you ever heard Sinton or Hutchison?

smoking & no sex

or

sex & no smoking

it's weird in the context of this thread. i won't argue, my accent has faded. i've lived away from the north east for about half my life now. but what's that got to do with smoking?

i wouldn't say "lenduz a tab marrah" to a londoner if that's what you're getting at.

Guest Tuco Ramirez

smoking & no sex

or

sex & no smoking

it's weird in the context of this thread. i won't argue, my accent has faded. i've lived away from the north east for about half my life now. but what's that got to do with smoking?

i wouldn't say "lenduz a tab marrah" to a londoner if that's what you're getting at.

Neither would I, it's a mackem word.

smoking & no sex

or

sex & no smoking

i always thought it was generic north eastern. i've certainly got geordie mates that use it.

apparently it's a pit term, shortened from half marra. young boys were paired up in the pits and were known as half marras which was eventually shortened to marra.

Guest Tuco Ramirez

smoking & no sex

or

sex & no smoking

i always thought it was generic north eastern. i've certainly got geordie mates that use it.

apparently it's a pit term, shortened from half marra. young boys were paired up in the pits and were known as half marras which was eventually shortened to marra.

Nee pits in Newcastle pal, even in the old days.

I think they say "Marra" in North (and Sooth) Shields although it's not a place I've frequented that often (worked with people from there though). I appreciate they probably don't qualify under your criteria as Geordies though :)

And there were pits in Newcastle and Tyneside, actually. Walker, Byker and so on iirc. It wasn't just the rural parts of Northumberland and Durham that had them.

what is the stevie criteria of geordie?

i suspect i'm struggling to meet it, given i've lived away from the region for so long.

i didf live south of the river for much of my formative years too, which probably doesn't do my chances much good either

Guest Tuco Ramirez

i suspect i'm struggling to meet it, given i've lived away from the region for so long.

i didf live south of the river for much of my formative years too, which probably doesn't do my chances much good either

My criteria of geordie is from Newcastle upon Tyne or Gateshead. I'll give you Gosforth Park to the North and Wallsend to Wylam. Heworth to Ryton. That's my interpretation. Whitley Bay for eg have a different accent in my view. Listen to how they say Tyneside.

Guest Tuco Ramirez
He's failed mine for not knowing his history of Tyneside :)

No there was a pit out here, "Percy Pit" some of you might remember the massive pit heap between Lemington and Newburn, but in Central Newcastle there was none, wasn't aware of one in Byker tbh.

He's failed mine for not knowing his history of Tyneside :razz:

No there was a pit out here, "Percy Pit" some of you might remember the massive pit heap between Lemington and Newburn, but in Central Newcastle there was none, wasn't aware of one in Byker tbh.

No pit out where? Obviously you wouldn't have one in the centre of a city like :) There were loads in what was classed then and now as Newcastle though. Not sure about Byker but there was definitely one in Walker for example.

Depends how the goalposts are shifted really. The aforementioned definition of "Geordie" includes Coxlodge, for example, but that wasn't administratively part of "Newcastle" when mining happened there. Fortunate coincidence really. :)

Recorded coal mines supplying coal to Newcastle in medieval times existed at Elswick, Winlaton, Heworth and the Town Moor

..1815 - 40 MEN AND 30 BOYS HEATON COLLIERY FLOOD

http://www.englandsnortheast.co.uk/CoalMin...ndRailways.html

Closer than I thought, knew there was mining on the moor, never realised Heaton had a pit.

My criteria of geordie is from Newcastle upon Tyne or Gateshead. I'll give you Gosforth Park to the North and Wallsend to Wylam. Heworth to Ryton. That's my interpretation. Whitley Bay for eg have a different accent in my view. Listen to how they say Tyneside.

Would you class someone a Geordie who was born out of the area (anywhere) but moved into say central Newcastle when they were 1yr old and lived here 20 years?

Also, would you class someone as a Geordie who lived in newcastle since birth but moved away after maybe 20 years?

For me, I was born in the general and have lived in Benwell, West Denton, Newbiggin Hall, forest Hall, Longbenton & Gateshead for 36 years but now live in Lanchester so as far as I am concerned I'm as much a Geordie as anyone.

In my scenario 1 above, Id class them as an adopted Geordie if they appeared as one.

Oh, and I quit smoking about 8 years ago and never looked back. Dont have any desire to start again. Do sometimes catch a whiff from somewhere and I still like the smell, apart from off a person when they aint smoking and they dont realise how much they stink :D

Would you class someone a Geordie who was born out of the area (anywhere) but moved into say central Newcastle when they were 1yr old and lived here 20 years?

Also, would you class someone as a Geordie who lived in newcastle since birth but moved away after maybe 20 years?

For me, I was born in the general and have lived in Benwell, West Denton, Newbiggin Hall, forest Hall, Longbenton & Gateshead for 36 years but now live in Lanchester so as far as I am concerned I'm as much a Geordie as anyone.

In my scenario 1 above, Id class them as an adopted Geordie if they appeared as one.

Oh, and I quit smoking about 8 years ago and never looked back. Dont have any desire to start again. Do sometimes catch a whiff from somewhere and I still like the smell, apart from off a person when they aint smoking and they dont realise how much they stink :D

I was born in Limerick, though moved over here at about 3 months old. I class myself as a geordie, though I do get ripped by my mates for not being a proper one :razz:

The posh end of Forest Hall? :razz:

:D

It was the new (then) Barratt estate. Kinda tucked behind the shops and the great lime road, backed onto the junior school.

Looks like I'm well in, then.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tuco Ramirez

Well I'm up to 20 a day, or should I say was. I feel fuckin terrible, they're nee good and make your hangovers worse. So I had one at 8am nen since, am going cold turkey I hope my mental state is alright after a few days need to do it, I'd hate to end up looking like Madge Bishop so I have to do this.

Edited by Tuco Ramirez

Guest Tuco Ramirez
Just stick to the Bob Hope man :angry:

That's probably the main cause of me getting back on them mann. Plus I can't get nen up here, only when in London.