Back down to earth with a bump

tinofbeans

Ok the expected thing happened and highlighted a few weaknesses. We did get well beaten, but I really do not think we are in such a bad place. Positives for me were carroll being a difficult physical presence, Williamson at the back, the organisation we showed ( with the exception of the goals of course being the exception). Routledge looked a bit tricky without much end product.

Tactically I think Hughton sharpened us up, and we were strong in the challenge, and quick to the ball....

what on this showing do you think we need, and where do we beleive we'll end up in the league.

i'm going 14th....

I suppose, trying to be positive again, a poor start might see him flash the cash whereas a decent start and Ashley would be thinking we were all right numbers/quality-wise.

Unfortunately we don't have a game everyone would expect us to win until after the deadline closes.

Thanks for extinguishing that little ember.

Tactically I didn't think we were good at all to be honest, Nolan and Smith were virtual pedestrians out there for much of the match.

Clearly Hughton is going to be employing the same tactics from the Championship, which is naive. Nolan's value last season was virtually in his goals alone, goals that won't come anywhere near as easy in the top league (take a look at his scoring record for the last couple of seasons in the EPL).

At least we did try to attack, but manure were happy to give up the wide channel knowing we had no option through the middle and a couple of widemen who would struggle to deliver a paper.

If Carroll had a decent consistent strike partner they'd soon learn where to be to pick up the myriad of flick-ons and headed passes that Carroll makes seemingly regardless of opponent. As it is though every other game we'll have Nolan playing in a made up position that facilitates his lazy game under the illusion that we're suring up a midfield that only requires suring because at least one of the players there is inadequate. In the meantime we're sacraficing any chance of someone building a good onfield partnership with Carroll.

Sounds overly critical but it's the truth - and yet I still have some hope for the season!

Edited by OzToonFan

I was talking to a friend of mine about our chances of staying up last week and thought it sorta fit in with this thread.

35 points seems to be just enough to stay up most seasons. Add that info into the schedule and I have NUFC going 9-8-21, which ought to be enough to keep us up. I think it's fairly realistic, what are y'all's thoughts?

@ ManU	   L
Villa					 L
@ Wolves			 D
Blackpool			W
@ Everton			L
Stoke City			D
@ Man City		   L
Wigan				 W
@ West Ham		D
Sunderland		  W
@ Arsenal			L
Blackburn			D
Fulham				D
@ Bolton			  D
Chelsea			   L
@ West Brom	   L
Liverpool			 L
@ B'ham City	   L
Man City			  L
@ Spurs			   L
@ Wigan			 W
West Ham		   W
@ Makems		   L
Spurs				  L
@ Fulham			 L
Arsenal			   L
@ Blackburn		L
Bolton				W
Everton			   D
@ Stoke			  L
Wolves			   W
@ Villa				L
Man U				 L
@ Blackpool		W
@ Liverpool		 L
Birmingham		D
@ Chelsea		  L
West Brom		 W

Sorry it looks like shit- I don't know how to work the code tags so good. If somebody with post-editing ability knows how to make it not look so shit, by all means, edit away.

9-8-21. 35 points. Do-able?

Edited by Cid_MCDP

that seem pretty conservative to me, dont think we'll lose to west brom at their place, west ham are beatable home and away as are bolton and think we can beat stoke at home too

that seem pretty conservative to me, dont think we'll lose to west brom at their place, west ham are beatable home and away as are bolton and think we can beat stoke at home too

I'm glad you think so too, man. I really just sat down with a schedule and with the 9-8-21 idea and made the pieces fit. I think there's a couple of draws in there we're not super likely to get, but like you said, there's a couple more wins too. I didn't want to be pie in the sky optimistic, but didn't want to be super doom and gloom either. It is conservative as you've said, but really I was just glad that it seemed possible even assuming we don't end up with some big name signings.