Best Pubs for a Newcastle pub crawl

brummiemag1

I'm bringing a couple of Villa fans up this weekend and I want to show them the best pubs Newcastle has to offer on the Saturday before the game, by way of an all day pub crawl.

Was planning to start off at the Strawberry on Saturday lunchtime, then walk down to the Quayside in the afternoon (via the Newcastle Arms and Bogeda) to take in the Crown Pasada and walk along to the Free Trade, before heading back to some more lively type pubs in the Bigg market area in the evening, maybe the Old George.

Trying to look for that rare combination of pubs that have character, serve decent beer and are lively!

Anyone got any other suggestions for the afternoon or evening?

I'm bringing a couple of Villa fans up this weekend and I want to show them the best pubs Newcastle has to offer on the Saturday before the game, by way of an all day pub crawl.

Was planning to start off at the Strawberry on Saturday lunchtime, then walk down to the Quayside in the afternoon (via the Newcastle Arms and Bogeda) to take in the Crown Pasada and walk along to the Free Trade, before heading back to some more lively type pubs in the Bigg market area in the evening, maybe the Old George.

Trying to look for that rare combination of pubs that have character, serve decent beer and are lively!

Make sure you get them to wear their Villa shirts :lol:

All good choices tbf. Another one you could hoy in is The Tyne (which is next to The Free Trade anyway). Also decent (and handy for the Old George / Biggie) is the new Bacchus. Canny atmosphere and a cracking selection of drinks. Tilley's is good too (Westgate Road).

Anyone know if the Central's reopened in Gateshead yet? With that in mind, the Bridge Hotel might suit your needs.

As far as I know, aye but there's still a load of scaffolding up. It's a Head of Steam pub now though so make of that what you will.

So's Tilley's :lol:

It was open while they were doing the outside, then it shut to do the inside but there's nowt on the website and I don't want to look like a plum again by trying to go there for a drink when it's shut. Should be cracking when it's done like as the building is quality.

Anyone know if the Central's reopened in Gateshead yet? With that in mind, the Bridge Hotel might suit your needs.

As far as I know, aye but there's still a load of scaffolding up. It's a Head of Steam pub now though so make of that what you will.

So's Tilley's :lol:

It was open while they were doing the outside, then it shut to do the inside but there's nowt on the website and I don't want to look like a plum again by trying to go there for a drink when it's shut. Should be cracking when it's done like as the building is quality.

Touche :lol:

Ah right, I couldn't tell you then. I pass it on the bus into town whenever I go so I'll let you know to save any embarrassment :)

The Head of Steam's alright actually. Fair quota of knobs like but they're of the fairly harmless variety in the main. That said, I haven't been for ages.

Edited by alex

Guest Tuco Ramirez

I suggest The Chesterfield, then beautiful walk down the valley over looking one the UK's finest rivers, straight to The Chieftain such lovely looking people in there, then try The Gold Cup lots of pool tables there, and finally The Villa Vic, only 10 mins walk from the ground too.

Any excuse to post this gem from the Burglar's Dog btw:

Resurrected in summer 2005 after the three week spell when it was known as just plain Whistle, the Pig & Whistle has always been one of the shoddiest bars in Newcastle. And guess what? Now it's worse than ever. In addition to being host to the dregs of both ends of the drinking age spectrum - from fifteen year old felons to pensionable pissheads - they're now promoting "For Your Eyes Only dancers and bikini barmaids before every Newcastle home game!" Go on, go in. Watch indifferently as a parade of desperately unhappy exotic dancers whip their chebs out and climb shiny poles like a drunken monkey up the rigging. Stand astonished as your bottle of expensive-yet-piss-weak lager turns out to be plastic, and think what that says about their trust of their customers. And punch yourself, repeatedly, in the face, genitals and solar plexus, for being dim enough to enter, let alone hand over your entire soul in the search for entertainment. You want me to elaborate on those punters - and why not, since there's absolutely fuck all in the way of decor or anything else to discuss? Fair enough. Look at the junior end of the scale for starters. See the Toon's great white hope, young Steven Taylor, all fresh-faced charm and low-budget haircut? And see the look on his face when he realised his sniper attack routine was fooling nobody in THAT 3-0 defeat to Villa? Imagine a bar full of identical copies of him at that moment, and that's your matchday punters. And while I swear to you now that I will never, ever go in after dark to see the night-time clientele, I've seen what traipses up and down the Bigg Market and into places like this; it's that whooping, saggy-titted, fight-starting, overpainted dog mess that we all know and avoid like the chlamydia. For the love of God, when these women are getting ready and they say to their mates or their husband or whoever, "How do I look?" why, instead of saying, "You look nice, dear," can someone not say, "Christ; sort yourself out. You look like Eddie Izzard"? It's like; you get Daytime TV fashion spots where they wheel out some old trout for a makeover, slap too much blusher on her mush, spruce up the beans-on-toast perm, and stuff her into some horrendously inappropriate black and gold dress. "Eeeh!" they say, "I might get a (giggle) Toy Boy. I look a million dollars!" No, love; you look like a gift-wrapped body bag with a broken zip. And you're making me feel sick. Now stamp your feet, pull your knickers up, pick up your tabs, and fuck off.

The one for Sinners is class as well.

Giving much-needed euthanasia to the bed-ridden and drooling tragedy that was Lennon’s Music Bar, Sinners is attempting to inject a new lease of life into the premises. And in keeping with the fucking appalling name and the inevitable concept that goes with it, I’m going to quickly run through a list of the seven deadly sins and see if I can superglue them to various aspects of the bar. Wish me luck. First up: LUST. Well, there’s plenty of that, with pot-bellied, middle-aged blokes in teenagers’ t-shirts trying to embarrass the knickers off the young fluff. GREED we can pin on that self-same fluff, blackmailing another half-dozen rum ‘n’ cokes and the taxi fare home from their back-tracking suitors with the threat of a call to the wife whose number they ‘accidentally’ found on his mobile when he went for a slash. Next, the GLUTTONY is pretty much self-evident, as legions of the city’s binge drinkers pile out onto the rooftop terrace, puff on an entire box of twenty in the open air, before scrambling back inside for another litre or two of vodka and pop. Then you’ve got ENVY from innocent customers forcibly dragged in on some cunt’s birthday bash, jealous of the warring adolescents being manhandled into the police van outside in preparation for a quiet night behind bars: I’m sure they’d swap an evening in here for a few contemplative hours on a wooden bench and an £80 fine in the morning. After envy comes SLOTH, or more accurately the designers’ attitude of, ‘Shall we attempt something new, or shall we just do another Perdu-themushroom-Quilted Camel travesty of faux-glamour?’ How many sins is that? Five? The PRIDE is plain to see, etched on the faces of defiant old boilers mouthing the words to the self-help anthems that sum up their lives, shortly before slumping in a corner and crying like Paris Hilton. And finally there’s WRATH which, needless to say, comes from yours truly, kicking in phone boxes all the way home and screaming, ‘Why? Why? WHY?’ at the terrified passers-by. Is that all seven done, then? Champion. To be honest, I don’t see a rosy future for this place. I can’t see a major transition from the scruffy shambles that was once there into the prestigious luxury in the Sinners business plan. As a dog returns to its vomit, so a fool repeats his folly: the Lennon’s hellhounds will be back with a vengeance, the topless dancers will be on before the match, and the building will be shaking like Ozzy Osbourne on an oscillator quicker than you can say ‘Come On Eileen’.

Basically, avoid these sorts of places like the plague.

:lol: Fucking genius that like.

I actually used to go in Sgt. Peppers (sister pub of Lennon's no less) after the match. We only stopped going in after we all admitted one time that we'd all secretly thought it was shite for ages but no one had spoke up. Handy for the metro and OAP-frottage-tastic though.

Guest Tuco Ramirez

I actually used to go in Sgt. Peppers (sister pub of Lennon's no less) after the match. We only stopped going in after we all admitted one time that we'd all secretly thought it was shite for ages but no one had spoke up. Handy for the metro and OAP-frottage-tastic though.

I once kissed a granny in there when I was about 19 :) 35 year old grannie from Scochee who smoked more than Hanibal Smith. :lol: Didn't realise it was still there. What a fuckin dive. Desperate 45 year old men in white jeans looking for a shag, and equally desperate chain smoking mothers, usually with ugly young daughter in tow. I think that sums it up brilliantly don't you?

Edited by Tuco Ramirez

I once kissed a granny in there when I was about 19 :) 35 year old grannie from Scochee who smoked more than Hanibal Smith. :lol: Didn't realise it was still there. What a fuckin dive. Desperate 45 year old men in white jeans looking for a shag, and equally desperate chain smoking mothers, usually with ugly young daughter in tow. I think that sums it up brilliantly don't you?

Aye. Had some canny nights in there tbf :icon_lol:

Used to love all the posters for offers behind the bar for drinks that were never on when you were there, i.e. before 7 o'clock on a Tuesday. Also, it's a Beatles / 60s themed bar and all they used to play was 70s glam rock. Fucking mint man :icon_lol:

Any excuse to post this gem from the Burglar's Dog btw:
No, love; you look like a gift-wrapped body bag with a broken zip. And you're making me feel sick. Now stamp your feet, pull your knickers up, pick up your tabs, and fuck off.

:lol:

My normal route when on an all day pub crawl in the toon is:

Crows Nest, Hotspur, Percy Arms, Trent house, Strawberry, Fluid, Rosies, Tillys, The Forth, O'Neils, Head of Steam, The Bridge. canny messy but some decent bars on the list ;)

Edited by SCOREBOARD1

Crows Nest, Hotspur, Percy Arms, Trent house, Strawberry, Fluid, Rosies, Tillys, The Forth, O'Neils, Head of Steam, The Bridge. canny messy but some decent bars on the list :o

Not a bad list but I would miss Fluid off that one ;)

;) Fucking genius that like.

I was just talking to a mate the other day about bars that fall into this category. :o For about 2 years in my teens we used to meet up at Bar M for nights out only to eventually discover that everyone thought it was utter shite and we'd only went there the first time because one lad's older brother said it was canny and no-one knew any better.

Crows Nest, Hotspur, Percy Arms, Trent house, Strawberry, Fluid, Rosies, Tillys, The Forth, O'Neils, Head of Steam, The Bridge. canny messy but some decent bars on the list :o

Not a bad list but I would miss Fluid off that one ;)

Lock the thread, the Oracle has spoken. :nah:

Crows Nest, Hotspur, Percy Arms, Trent house, Strawberry, Fluid, Rosies, Tillys, The Forth, O'Neils, Head of Steam, The Bridge. canny messy but some decent bars on the list :nah:

Not a bad list but I would miss Fluid off that one :o

Lock the thread, the Oracle has spoken. :D

;):D

Still closed.

Funnily enough my sis just told me it's re-opening next month some time.