Old Board vs New Board

The Fish

Give me this team over the one we had when Ashley bought us every single time. Anybody here feel the opposite?

I like the team better now but they had better quality players and more of chance to break into Europe when dickface first took over.

No mate, they had players that we're perceived as better quality, when in fact they were by and large overpaid lazy has beens.

Perhaps, although we have lower aspirations for the team now. Most supporters are happy just to stay up this season so the current crop are over achieving in this sense.

As we were then ;)

When Ashley first took over? Hardly.

We'd just finished five points off the drop man.

And the fans were happy about that at the time were they? Nice try though, CT.

No they wernt, thats the point skidmarks making. You've lost me im afraid.

Christ :lol:

Well you've still lost me, but if it makes you happy you ;) away :D

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give me this team over the one we had when Ashley bought us every single time. Anybody here feel the opposite?

I like the team better now but they had better quality players and more of chance to break into Europe when dickface first took over.

No mate, they had players that we're perceived as better quality, when in fact they were by and large overpaid lazy has beens.

Perhaps, although we have lower aspirations for the team now. Most supporters are happy just to stay up this season so the current crop are over achieving in this sense.

As we were then :lol:

The day Shepard handed over the reins to Ashley, you're seriously telling me you expected us to be in a relegation dogfight that season ?

The day Shepard handed over the reins to Ashley, you're seriously telling me you expected us to be in a relegation dogfight that season ?

No, Skidmark was talking about the quality of the team he inherited, not what he was going to add to it. You said you thought that team had more chance of getting into europe. I pointed out that that team only just avoided the drop.

Not rocket science like.

As we were then ;)

HM is arguing fans weren't happy with just staying up when Ashley took over / before that when Shepherd was still in charge. You said they were. I've bolded and italicised the bit where you argued this to make it easier for you.

Edited by alex

No, Skidmark was talking about the quality of the team he inherited, not what he was going to add to it. You said you thought that team had more chance of getting into europe. I pointed out that that team only just avoided the drop.

Not rocket science like.

We didn't just avoid the drop. Five points was a canny margin in the context of the division that year and we had a far superior goal difference to the sides that went down. To put it in other terms the sides that went down averaged one point a game (or less) so it's not unfair to argue they were nowhere near overhauling us (given they'd have needed on average 5+ games more in which to do so).

As we were then ;)

HM is arguing fans weren't happy with just staying up when Ashley took over / before that when Shepherd was still in charge. You said they were. I've bolded and italicised the bit where you argued this to make it easier for you.

I think sometimes alex your too sharp for yourself never mind me.

He said, most fans are just happy to stay up now, i said , as we were then.

Not rocket science like.

We didn't just avoid the drop. Five points was a canny margin in the context of the division that year and we had a far superior goal difference to the sides that went down. To put it in other terms the sides that went down averaged one point a game (or less) so it's not unfair to argue they were nowhere near overhauling us (given they'd have needed on average 5+ games more in which to do so).

aye whatever. ;)

As we were then ;)

I think sometimes alex your too sharp for yourself never mind me.

He said, most fans are just happy to stay up now, i said , as we were then.

Not the day he took over. See above post.

The day Ashely took over, there was no way we even contemplated relegation. It only became slightly apparent months down the line that we were in a tiny bit danger. It turns out we were never really in trouble anyway.

The conversation didnt start out about outlook, it started out about the quality of this team, currently 8th to the team he inherited, just avoided relegation.

Nice try at changing it though.

And with your changed stance I would agree that nobody expected a poor season having just being bought by a britsh billionaire.

Fucking hell man, it's literally basic English. You've failed to understand a very basic point and now you're making out it's some complex semantic issue rather than admit you were wrong / didn't grasp it. You can pretend you've got a fare now if you like.

Not rocket science like.

aye whatever. ;)

Point out where I'm incorrect by all means.

Fucking hell man, it's literally basic English. You've failed to understand a very basic point and now you're making out it's some complex semantic issue rather than admit you were wrong / didn't grasp it. You can pretend you've got a fare now if you like.

Suggest you re-read the exchange

Its funny reading comments now about how great Shepherd was because there are only 4 posters on here who had anything remotley positive to say about him at the time. If he was that good, why was Leazes about the only one defending him back in 2005 etc?

Those 4 posters for the record are Leazes, me, Parky and alex.* I can hold me head high and say that during their era, i was pointing out how far the club had come whereas 99% of people on here and NO were calling him a fat cunt and wanted him out.

I'm obviously odd as i look back slightly more critically now, when you see the vast amounts of profit the two families made from the club and find the irony compelling. The club was in decline, Ashley accelerated that decline and now has reversed it somewhat. Saying that he wants us to float between the championship and the premiership to make profits year on year may be true or just ill-informed polemic. I would have said the former 12 months ago but the last 2 windows have made me pause for thought. My scientific training teaches me to keep collecting data and to keep updating my assumptions. The Hughton episode has been particularly difficult to interpret because of multiple possible motivations. Again, time (Jan 31st, 2011) will tell.

* Apologies if missed any current regulars off here, i cant think of anyone.

We've never had an honest vision of what he has in store for the club, assuming a long or even medium term plan exists or ever has done. I think that's why people are always trying to second guess what he's doing and the motives behind that.

I honestly think that is cause he's changed his mind a few times regarding long term commitment and other factors like the financial crisis (which still hasn't washed out of the system, regardless of lapdog media suggestions). Think for a billionaire he is a very strange mix and a real lottery when it comes to second guessing his next move. I don't really mind him for that as his main life experience will have been to do with ultra competitive scenarios and survival and the fact that he has had to work really hard (had some luck as well) to get his money.

I think he's changed his mind a few times as well. Again though, he could've been more open about that and built up a far better relationship with the fans on the back of it, i.e. "I planned to do A, but the financial crisis hit me in the pocket, so it's now a case of plan B". In lieu of that there's a strong suspicion that he's taking the piss out of the fans etc.

I'll be keepin an eye on what Pardew says from now on as I'm pretty sure he is closer to MA than any of our recent managers.

Meaning we were happy to stay up then with the that team that finished 5 points off relegation.

There you are Alex, as simple as I can put it.

Meaning we were happy to stay up then with the that team that finished 5 points off relegation.

There you are Alex, as simple as I can put it.

That's not correct though. As I've already pointed out we didn't 'just' stay up and the vast majority of supporters weren't happy with our performance that season.

I can just imagine CT making outlandish, against-the-grain statements when a punter gets in his Taxi then arguing his way around Newcastle!

"Could you turn the radio up please?"

Imo, it was better to be a 'football fan' under the old regime as they brought us European football, decent cup runs and dizzy height league positions.

This was however through running the club ineffectively and not considering the future of the club. (Money spent on wages, transfers etc).

The new regime, as much as I fucking hate Ashley, has brought the 'football fan' on the street very little to shout about except the apparant balancing of the books. (Something I'd say the majority of fans aren't concerned about) Granted, we had a good season last year but we should never have been in that position in the first place.

The blame for that lies at the door of both boards. The old for leaving the club in a position the new buyer felt was destined for Administration, hence his penny pinching since buying the club. The new board for their refusal to listen to the fans and single mindedness. Freddie was the opposite.

Basically, they've both done things badly and as the saying goes 'You can please some of the people, some of the time ....'

Milner, Duff, Martins, Owen, Given, Beye, Bassong, and N'Zogbia all moved to clubs who have qualified for europe and/or stayed in the premiership while we went down. So much for them being "has beens".

You don't half talk some shit.

Edited by LeazesMag

Milner, Duff, Martins, Owen, Given, Beye, Bassong, and N'Zogbia all moved to clubs who have qualified for europe and/or stayed in the premiership while we went down. So much for them being "has beens".

I bet they are so glad they left.

Seriously leazes, theres not many of them Id swap for the players playing in their respective positions now. Given and Bassong and thats probably about it.

Its funny reading comments now about how great Shepherd was because there are only 4 posters on here who had anything remotley positive to say about him at the time. If he was that good, why was Leazes about the only one defending him back in 2005 etc?

Those 4 posters for the record are Leazes, me, Parky and alex.* I can hold me head high and say that during their era, i was pointing out how far the club had come whereas 99% of people on here and NO were calling him a fat cunt and wanted him out.

I'm obviously odd as i look back slightly more critically now, when you see the vast amounts of profit the two families made from the club and find the irony compelling. The club was in decline, Ashley accelerated that decline and now has reversed it somewhat. Saying that he wants us to float between the championship and the premiership to make profits year on year may be true or just ill-informed polemic. I would have said the former 12 months ago but the last 2 windows have made me pause for thought. My scientific training teaches me to keep collecting data and to keep updating my assumptions. The Hughton episode has been particularly difficult to interpret because of multiple possible motivations. Again, time (Jan 31st, 2011) will tell.

* Apologies if missed any current regulars off here, i cant think of anyone.

You missed me, I've always said he was decent.