Old Board vs New Board

The Fish

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye, I'm not all that confident that we'll be competing at the right end for a while either alex, and I'm not even sure whether he has the ambition to want to. But I do know that that doesn't mean that Shepherd would have had us back in europe by now. We were a sinking ship under him. Ashley didn't take a champions league club down, he failed to stop a decline that was already in place. Admittedly his shenanigans with Keegan, Wise and JFK were a big part of the problem that got us relegated, but the culture of having highly paid unmotivated players would have gotten to us eventually anyway, it had taken over us and when there's a culture like that at the club, usually-good players coming in adapt to it and it becomes infectious. Watching those players was disheartening to me, even if they had more ability than the ones we have now. I don't think Ashley is the bee's knees, but I'm not going to wank over Shepherd and pretend that he was, just because Mike isn't.

thompers in meltdown ;)

The Halls and Shepherd took over a club in a massive decline by the way, and within a few years they were in europe.

Where do I say they didn't?

You thick irritating old fuck.

so you concede they were vastly superior to Mikey boy ?

:icon_lol:

Does that mean Leeds board were vastly superior to the Halls and Shepherd? They got to a champions league semi final. :icon_lol:

wouldn't you like Mikey boy to even reach the qualifying round ?

It will never happen though.

Thick.

Aye, I'm not all that confident that we'll be competing at the right end for a while either alex, and I'm not even sure whether he has the ambition to want to. But I do know that that doesn't mean that Shepherd would have had us back in europe by now. We were a sinking ship under him. Ashley didn't take a champions league club down, he failed to stop a decline that was already in place. Admittedly his shenanigans with Keegan, Wise and JFK were a big part of the problem that got us relegated, but the culture of having highly paid unmotivated players would have gotten to us eventually anyway, it had taken over us and when there's a culture like that at the club, usually-good players coming in adapt to it and it becomes infectious. Watching those players was disheartening to me, even if they had more ability than the ones we have now. I don't think Ashley is the bee's knees, but I'm not going to wank over Shepherd and pretend that he was, just because Mike isn't.

Pretty much agree with that. Yes, SJH done wonders for this club. As LM points out, we were sinking fast before SJH took over. But, its also correct that we were again sinking at the end of Shepherds reign. Each year it felt we were slowly dropping to hit relegation. I doubt Ashley will ever hit the heights that the previous bunch did, but then the league is a very different place now. when we were promoted with KK at the helm, the league was nowhere near the quality it is now. I dont think Ashley is a patch on SJH, but lets not think SJH done it for the love either. He could see what Ashley cannot. that by making a successful club he could get back his investment several fold. It is a gamble though as you are not the only club trying that. I think our gamble failed when we were put out of the Champions League by Partizan.

I don't think it's a case of that mind, it's more of a case that it'd have took a hell of a lot more to get us back to europe when Ashley took over than what it cost Hall to do it. Remember there wasn't competition for the top 4 spots back then because the whole top 4 champions league incentive was introduced whilst we were already up there.

complete myth.

Clubs have ALWAYS wanted to finish as high as possible, play in europe, etc etc....and players gave it 100% just like any other time in the history of the game.

But both the Spanish and Italian leagues were superior to ours in the 90s, meaning the best players went there, meaning our league was of a poorer standard to what it is now. Are you getting it yet? ;)

You are wrong. We are talking about the English league lad, just like now. To do well in the English league, the ambitious clubs bought the best English and British players. Get it ?

And English clubs only lost ground in europe because we were banned. English clubs won the European Cup in 1977, 78, 79, 80, 81, 84 and were losing finalists in 1985. Leeds were also losing finalists in 1975.

Edited by LeazesMag

thompers in meltdown ;)

The Halls and Shepherd took over a club in a massive decline by the way, and within a few years they were in europe.

Does that mean Leeds board were vastly superior to the Halls and Shepherd? They got to a champions league semi final. :icon_lol:

Thick.

I've never said he will though. So fuck off and do one you silly old prick

Pretty much agree with that. Yes, SJH done wonders for this club. As LM points out, we were sinking fast before SJH took over. But, its also correct that we were again sinking at the end of Shepherds reign. Each year it felt we were slowly dropping to hit relegation. I doubt Ashley will ever hit the heights that the previous bunch did, but then the league is a very different place now. when we were promoted with KK at the helm, the league was nowhere near the quality it is now. I dont think Ashley is a patch on SJH, but lets not think SJH done it for the love either. He could see what Ashley cannot. that by making a successful club he could get back his investment several fold. It is a gamble though as you are not the only club trying that. I think our gamble failed when we were put out of the Champions League by Partizan.

I don't think it's a case of that mind, it's more of a case that it'd have took a hell of a lot more to get us back to europe when Ashley took over than what it cost Hall to do it. Remember there wasn't competition for the top 4 spots back then because the whole top 4 champions league incentive was introduced whilst we were already up there.

complete myth.

Clubs have ALWAYS wanted to finish as high as possible, play in europe, etc etc....and players gave it 100% just like any other time in the history of the game.

But both the Spanish and Italian leagues were superior to ours in the 90s, meaning the best players went there, meaning our league was of a poorer standard to what it is now. Are you getting it yet? ;)

You are wrong. We are talking about the English league lad, just like now. To do well in the English league, the ambitious clubs bought the best English and British players. Get it ?

And English clubs only lost ground in europe because we were banned. English clubs won the European Cup in 1977, 78, 79, 80, 84 and losing finalists in 1985.

Fuck

Off

You

Boring

Irrelevant

Cunt

thompers in meltdown ;)

Thick.

No. He won't. Because he's small time and a hopeless cunt, unlike his predecessors.

thompers in meltdown ;)

Thick.

No. He won't. Because he's small time and a hopeless cunt, unlike his predecessors.

Small time? The club cost him about 50 times more what they paid for it. Yet you describe the inflation that's happened in football as nonsense and think it's just as easy to compete now as it was back then. You're thick as fuck. Fuck off. I've got no time for you, you're a boring thick wanker who posts replies that show that you don't understand the point being made.

complete myth.

Nah I disagree to an extent. Players dont always give 100%. You need the right manager, club atmosphere and so on for that. Plus, lets say we were just promoted like back then with SJH. We couldnt compete. SJH has even said so himself that he could see where the game was going. Spending £15M on Shearer was big time back then, now its buttons to most clubs. SJH was a bit like a Jack Walker, but these are not a patch on what Chelsea and City have. Plus as has been pointed out, the Premiership wasnt the attraction then as it is now.

complete myth.

Nah I disagree to an extent. Players dont always give 100%. You need the right manager, club atmosphere and so on for that. Plus, lets say we were just promoted like back then with SJH. We couldnt compete. SJH has even said so himself that he could see where the game was going. Spending £15M on Shearer was big time back then, now its buttons to most clubs. SJH was a bit like a Jack Walker, but these are not a patch on what Chelsea and City have. Plus as has been pointed out, the Premiership wasnt the attraction then as it is now.

At the same time though the money to be reaped from that investment was nowt compared to now.

thompers in meltdown ;)

Thick.

Small time? The club cost him about 50 times more what they paid for it. Yet you describe the inflation that's happened in football as nonsense and think it's just as easy to compete now as it was back then. You're thick as fuck. Fuck off. I've got no time for you, you're a boring thick wanker who posts replies that show that you don't understand the point being made.

its the same level playing field for everybody son. Its always been difficult to finish in the top 3, 4, 5, 6 positions. You have always needed to spend money and show ambition to do it, and the big clubs have the most money. Nowt is different at all. Liverpool were backed by the Moores family for 50 years by the way.

You should really do your homework before you attempt to show me wrong and discuss these sort of things with me

complete myth.

At the same time though the money to be reaped from that investment was nowt compared to now.

and only 2 clubs are being bankrolled by their owners.

complete myth.

At the same time the risks were nowt compared to now either, in the event of the investments not paying off.

At the same time the risks were nowt compared to now either, in the event of the investments not paying off.

I can see what you're saying with that but it all comes down to hindsight, its easy now to slag off the past quoting the likes of Owen as big price failures but we werent exactly moaning about it the day he signed.

Was Shearer a flop? should we have not taken a gamble on him?

Under your logic you would never buy any established big name players because they could fail miserably. At the same time though they could have the best years of their careers here and pay back their transfer fees ten times over.

Its all a gamble but its better to take that punt than to sit with the likes of Leon Best on the teamsheet hoping that some miracle happens and he becomes a world beater.

I can see what you're saying with that but it all comes down to hindsight, its easy now to slag off the past quoting the likes of Owen as big price failures but we werent exactly moaning about it the day he signed.

Under your logic you would never buy any established big name players because they could fail miserably. At the same time though they could have the best years of their careers here and pay back their transfer fees ten times over.

Its all a gamble but its better to take that punt than to sit with the likes of Leon Best on the teamsheet hoping that some miracle happens and he becomes a world beater.

exactly

complete myth.

Not sure. If MA done well could he re-float the club? Not sure how that works. If he could, then surely that would be the way forward for him?

When Owen signed we didn't know how it was being funded. My point is though that you can't just keep making those types of signings without them paying off. At some point you've got to step back, say 'ok that didn't work', and start again. Money doesn't grow on trees. We'd all love to be able to just spend our way out of debt by buying the best players and being in the Champions League, and having loads of chinks running about in our shirts, but the fact is if you go down that route and it doesn't work it can cripple you. I don't need to point out the examples here, we all knows there's been a couple.

complete myth.

Not sure. If MA done well could he re-float the club? Not sure how that works. If he could, then surely that would be the way forward for him?

Equity doesnt have to be sold publicly, one way to raise funds is sell a % of the club but the price would be better with no debt.

complete myth.

Equity doesnt have to be sold publicly, one way to raise funds is sell a % of the club but the price would be better with no debt.

Yeah true. Not sure what price he could demand though. Or rather if people would pay what he demanded. I dunno, I just get the idea he asks much more than its value (when selling as a whole Im on about here - something I still think he is keen to do).

thompers in meltdown :unsure:

:huh:

;)

Does that mean Leeds board were vastly superior to the Halls and Shepherd? They got to a champions league semi final. :o

Thick.

:no

its the same level playing field for everybody son. Its always been difficult to finish in the top 3, 4, 5, 6 positions. You have always needed to spend money and show ambition to do it, and the big clubs have the most money. Nowt is different at all. Liverpool were backed by the Moores family for 50 years by the way.

You should really do your homework before you attempt to show me wrong and discuss these sort of things with me

You're talking fucking shit yet again. What is the point you are trying to make and how does it relate to the point I am fucking making you thick thick cunt

exactly

While I've always slagged off the old board for their errors, signing Owen was not one of them. It showed ambition and was a risk worth taking. People often forget we got a lot of compensation from his injuries and shirt/ticket sale rose. It's easy to look at the books and see we were braking even before he came and losing money after, but he was supposed to be Shearers replacement.

That being said in the same transfer window he bought in Luque and Parker, and let Bellamy, Robert, Butt and Jenas go. In Freddies head this made us a shoe in for Europe (thus Owens contract clause).

In hindsight we all know this undid all of Bobbies work, but it epitomises the old boards ambition to get us back into Europe.

My issue is a board should show restraint and minimise risk at all time. Hiring a manager who wants to rebuild a team is quite frankly madness. Did they interview him prior to offering him the job?

The predicament we face now is while the old board were too rash with spending and the new board are too shrewd.

When Owen signed we didn't know how it was being funded. My point is though that you can't just keep making those types of signings without them paying off. At some point you've got to step back, say 'ok that didn't work', and start again. Money doesn't grow on trees. We'd all love to be able to just spend our way out of debt by buying the best players and being in the Champions League , and having loads of chinks running about in our shirts, but the fact is if you go down that route and it doesn't work it can cripple you. I don't need to point out the examples here, we all knows there's been a couple.

wtf are you talking about, it didn't pay off ? Of course it paid off, stupid, the club expanded massively, developed the stadium, played in the Champions League :unsure: [see bold] and were the 14th richest club in the world. If that isn't paying off, what sort of progress do you think Mikey is making :huh:

thompers in meltdown :unsure:

:huh:

;)

Does that mean Leeds board were vastly superior to the Halls and Shepherd? They got to a champions league semi final. :o

Thick.

:no

You're talking fucking shit yet again. What is the point you are trying to make and how does it relate to the point I am fucking making you thick thick cunt

you are talking bollocks son. It's always been difficult to break into the top 3,4,5 teams. How thick are you :no

When Owen signed we didn't know how it was being funded. My point is though that you can't just keep making those types of signings without them paying off. At some point you've got to step back, say 'ok that didn't work', and start again. Money doesn't grow on trees. We'd all love to be able to just spend our way out of debt by buying the best players and being in the Champions League , and having loads of chinks running about in our shirts, but the fact is if you go down that route and it doesn't work it can cripple you. I don't need to point out the examples here, we all knows there's been a couple.

wtf are you talking about, it didn't pay off ? Of course it paid off, stupid, the club expanded massively, developed the stadium, played in the Champions League :unsure: [see bold] and were the 14th richest club in the world. If that isn't paying off, what sort of progress do you think Mikey is making :huh:

7th richest.