NUST meltdown

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

This has all the hallmarks of NUISA. That Gilmour fella was being quoted in the press for years after it shut down.

Honestly it doesn't, because INUSA (to my knowledge) never had 1500 paying members plus tens of thousands of email subscribers, 11'000 + people following it on various social network sites. It never had the level of infrastructure and local governmental support that the Trust has (including an MP on the board). it was, to be frank (no pun intended) one man and his son trying to do something when nobody else seemed bothered.

Unfortunately due to it lacking all of the above INUSA was never in a position to do anything other than be a convenient mouthpiece for the press which, to be fair to Frank Gilmour, is as much down to the inherent laziness of certain journalists as it was to him. Once the press have your number its very difficult to dissuade them that you don't want to be bothered by them anymore. The Trust on the other hand is in a great position to do everything that INUSA couldn't. It just needs to start doing them or at the very least telling people what its doing. It's in no way dead, it just hasn't progressed at face value in any meaningful, explainable way over the past year...and that's the dissapointing thing.

I'm not going to criticise or attempt to analyse what project the questions in the survey are ultimately leading towards. I'll look at the finished offering and see what I think. I'm just glad that they appear to be finally listening to concerns and are finally doing something to engage with the membership. In all honesty this is one of the least cynical looking surveys I've seen from an organisation. There are clear opportunities to note the strength of our beliefs on several of the things we've complained about and clear opportunities to show what we think they should and shouldn't be focussing on. It's an improvement in my view but it should only be the beginning of that improvement.

Does the club recognise the Trust as being valid? and if not why after a year are they asking for renewals?

What the fuck are you talking about now?

They have no contact with the club, media or anyone anything to do with Newcastle United.

I don't expect you to understand why this is relevant. But just take a look at their latest news letter;

http://www.nust.org.uk/fan-mail-the-fsf-ne...h-december-2010

Not relevant to Newcastle or Newcastle United. It could be for any club. It's no wonder they have achieved nothing in a year.

So they should just give up?

And they were often quoted in the Chronicle and mentioned by the likes of Caulkin and Bird in the national media.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has all the hallmarks of NUISA. That Gilmour fella was being quoted in the press for years after it shut down.

Honestly it doesn't, because INUSA (to my knowledge) never had 1500 paying members plus tens of thousands of email subscribers, 11'000 + people following it on various social network sites. It never had the level of infrastructure and local governmental support that the Trust has (including an MP on the board). it was, to be frank (no pun intended) one man and his son trying to do something when nobody else seemed bothered.

Unfortunately due to it lacking all of the above INUSA was never in a position to do anything other than be a convenient mouthpiece for the press which, to be fair to Frank Gilmour, is as much down to the inherent laziness of certain journalists as it was to him. Once the press have your number its very difficult to dissuade them that you don't want to be bothered by them anymore. The Trust on the other hand is in a great position to do everything that INUSA couldn't. It just needs to start doing them or at the very least telling people what its doing. It's in no way dead, it just hasn't progressed at face value in any meaningful, explainable way over the past year...and that's the dissapointing thing.

I'm not going to criticise or attempt to analyse what project the questions in the survey are ultimately leading towards. I'll look at the finished offering and see what I think. I'm just glad that they appear to be finally listening to concerns and are finally doing something to engage with the membership. In all honesty this is one of the least cynical looking surveys I've seen from an organisation. There are clear opportunities to note the strength of our beliefs on several of the things we've complained about and clear opportunities to show what we think they should and shouldn't be focussing on. It's an improvement in my view but it should only be the beginning of that improvement.

Does the club recognise the Trust as being valid? and if not why after a year are they asking for renewals?

What the fuck are you talking about now?

They have no contact with the club, media or anyone anything to do with Newcastle United.

I don't expect you to understand why this is relevant. But just take a look at their latest news letter;

http://www.nust.org.uk/fan-mail-the-fsf-ne...h-december-2010

Not relevant to Newcastle or Newcastle United. It could be for any club. It's no wonder they have achieved nothing in a year.

but that is because that is the NUST forwarding on the Football Supporters Federation email: so it should be generic and catch all.

Precisely. This isn't even an NUST news letter, its just them forwarding on a newsletter from the FSF and that's made fairly obvious in the email to anyone who reads it...or at least to anyone who reads it without being determined to fume at all costs.

This reminds me of people who complain when the RSS feed occasionally picks up stories about other Trusts. Does anybody honestly think the NUST is sitting there thinking..."hmm, a story about Plymouth, better publish that as top priority"?. Ridiculous levels of conspiracy going on here and I can't help but think that many of them are deliberate because the people making them are determined that this project is going to fail and don't want to hear that it can be easily still be a success if a few things are fixed.

Why anyone would want NUST to fail is beyond me.

Like I say, the infrastructure is there, the membership is, surprisingly, still decent. They simply need to begin re-engaging with that membership and with the press. To say that they have no contact with the press is incorrect, it's simply that they arn't maximising that relationship as they used to. As I noted above, the assumption that the press will forget about them is incorrect (just look at the above example of how many years they hounded Gilmour for after the folding of INUSAC). It seems rather that the current board have elected not to use these contacts. That's baffling to me personally and its one of the strategies I'd like to hear more on at the AGM - I suspect it started out as a 'don't let them come to us, we'll go to them' type affair, which is sensible but still needed more of the latter to work effectively. I can guarantee that the press havn't forgotten about the NUST...rather it seems to NUST arn't feeding them enough, hence them turning back to certain 'local personalities' during the recent furore over Hughton.

• 2 weeks later...

Just completed the survey. I basically just said I didn't renew because there was no communication or updates on progress or achievements..and that the olny e-mails I seem to get off them are about pie and pea suppers. Think they're lost their way a bit, but it can still work.

• 2 weeks later...

AGM announced, taking it to the wire, minimum notice given and on the last possible day they could hold it. Just to really take the mick though its at 6pm in town. How many members will be unable to get there on time?

These things should start at 7pm at the earliest to give people time to finish work and get there.

;)

AGM announced, taking it to the wire, minimum notice given and on the last possible day they could hold it. Just to really take the mick though its at 6pm in town. How many members will be unable to get there on time?

These things should start at 7pm at the earliest to give people time to finish work and get there.

;)

The problem there being that the lit and Phil closes at 7:00pm on a Monday although it may well be that booked events such as this are able to run beyond the time its normally open to the public. I've asked for clarification about this on the forum as I don't yet want to be cynical enough to believe that this is only going to last for an hour!

Edited by MichaelNUFC

I asked them what they were doing about BFMA's tenure, and they ducked the question by saying they were focussing on fund raising. Are the topcats taking a wedge? Are they fucked without a fund raiser every 8 weeks?

Are the topcats taking a wedge?

No; its a non-profit organisation with an unsalaried board. Some trusts do have salaried board members (MUST) but not NUST.

Are they fucked without a fund raiser every 8 weeks?

To my knowledge the Rob Lee dinner is the first event that's specifically stated itself to be fundraising for their community projects. To be honest I'm quite happy for them to do that as I'd rather membership fees were just banked and saved for when they might come in useful for the Trust's primary aim. Holding individual events to fundraise for the other activities is a good idea as it stops the "that's not what I paid my dues for" argument. anyone going to the Rob Lee dinner should and will know where their money is going.

Edited by MichaelNUFC

No; its a non-profit organisation with an unsalaried board. Some trusts do have salaried board members (MUST) but not NUST.

To my knowledge the Rob Lee dinner is the first event that's specifically stated itself to be fundraising for their community projects. To be honest I'm quite happy for them to do that as I'd rather membership fees were just banked and saved for when they might come in useful for the Trust's primary aim. Holding individual events to fundraise for the other activities is a good idea as it stops the "that's not what I paid my dues for" argument. anyone going to the Rob Lee dinner should and will know where their money is going.

will they??? i think they'll all, quite rightly, be asking the same questions and doubt that the agm will calm any doubts at all

will they???

They will if they read the advertisements/promotional material which clearly state which trust activities its a fundraiser for. Can't see why there'd be any confusion over what the dinner/talk in is raising funds for here or why anyone attending should later grumble that they thought it was about raising funds to buy a stake int he club. It's been clearly stated everywhere its been promoted that the Rob Lee event is to raise funds for community projects.

i think they'll all, quite rightly, be asking the same questions and doubt that the agm will calm any doubts at all

Well, hopefully not at a charity dinner they wont.

The poster above was asking why NUST have to hold a fundraiser "every eight weeks". I was just pointing out that they don't and nor have they done so but that when they do, as in the Rob Lee dinner, I think I prefer them stating what they money raised is going towards as they've done with this one; that way I can decide how much I want to support it...or not as the case may be.

I suppose you could disagree that they should be doing any community activities but if so then that's something for members to raise at the AGM. I'd like to think most people are open to the ideas of some community activities/charity stuff though. After all, even the old NUSC raised £3000 for Sir Bobby's charity/held comedy nights, etc.

In my opinion it's the balancing of activities that is currently in most need of fixing/addressing with NUST.

Edited by MichaelNUFC

;)

The problem there being that the lit and Phil closes at 7:00pm on a Monday although it may well be that booked events such as this are able to run beyond the time its normally open to the public. I've asked for clarification about this on the forum as I don't yet want to be cynical enough to believe that this is only going to last for an hour!

Then why book the Lit & Phil in the first place? Its not like its a standard place for these things.

Right Tony we need to get 100 football fans together for the AGM

What do we need?

well beer obviously, everyone needs a pint at these things.

Beer...tick

Most people work so it'll need to be convenient timewise.

Time...tick (tock)....ok boss I think Ive got it, 6 til 7 on a workday in a library, sorted.

Excelleeeent

Guy - the above event is a fundraiser for NUST. By raising funds for the trust through this and other events, it puts us in a better position to continue towards our aims. We are a non-profit organisation, and rely on our own funding means to exist.

So which is it, a fundraiser for community projects or a fundraiser for the trust? Or are they one and the same?

Edited by trophyshy

Does anyone know what the actual paid up current membership is?

I attempted to find out however I was allowed to look at the spreadsheet but they wouldnt give me details of figures when I requested them. So basically all I was able to confirm that the spreadsheet they had did not include any of the names I knew of that hadnt renewed.

As the spreadsheet basically included everyone who held a share I asked that they break down the figures and tell me how many were eligible voting members, they refused yet we are expected to pull together 20% of an unknown figure for any vote of no-confidence. Supporters Direct still havent got back to me with any answer but saying that theyre as much use in a disagreement as Douglas Bader would be up front for the Toon. :lol:

Allegedly though the total number of members (Full Adult, OAP, Unwaged, Child and associate member) is around 1500.

:lol:

Then why book the Lit & Phil in the first place? Its not like its a standard place for these things.

Right Tony we need to get 100 football fans together for the AGM

What do we need?

well beer obviously, everyone needs a pint at these things.

Beer...tick

Most people work so it'll need to be convenient timewise.

Time...tick (tock)....ok boss I think Ive got it, 6 til 7 on a workday in a library, sorted.

Excelleeeent

I actually think that holding it in a place that doesn't serve drinks was a good idea since the occasion calls for sobriety and clear heads arguing logical, well made points (not pissheads shouting about Jimmy Nail as we sometimes got in the past :nah: ).

If it gets confirmed that this event won't or can't last beyond the hour though then that really is mind boggling given all the "other business" that needs to be covered!

Guy - the above event is a fundraiser for NUST. By raising funds for the trust through this and other events, it puts us in a better position to continue towards our aims. We are a non-profit organisation, and rely on our own funding means to exist.

So which is it, a fundraiser for community projects or a fundraiser for the trust? Or are they one and the same?

Sort of.

It's a fundraiser for the Trust. One of the things the Trust do is carry out community projects. So in the case of the Rob Lee dinner they are specifically telling you that the money raised from it is going towards the community projects rather than, for example, a fund to purchase a stake in the club which is the main goal of a Trust.

I think that in truth they've probably had complaints from members interested in the latter about what is funding the community work they do, that's why they've looked to arrange seperate events such as this one to fund it seperately. Similarly I know they've been working for some time to acquire sponsorship

to set up a junior trust that will be self funding and won't require paid memberships to support.

Edited by MichaelNUFC

I actually think that holding it in a place that doesn't serve drinks was a good idea since the occasion calls for sobriety and clear heads arguing logical, well made points (not pissheads shouting about Jimmy Nail as we sometimes got in the past :nah: ).

If it gets confirmed that this event won't or can't last beyond the hour though then that really is mind boggling given all the "other business" that needs to be covered!

I can see the point on the beer but a library ffs :lol:

I know Im always cynical and you tend to try and find the good points but all I can see is this being done purposefully to ensure we dont have time to spend on what should easily have been an hours worth of AOB on its own. 6 -7 on a Monday is a piss take

I actually think that holding it in a place that doesn't serve drinks was a good idea since the occasion calls for sobriety and clear heads arguing logical, well made points (not pissheads shouting about Jimmy Nail as we sometimes got in the past :lol: ).

I can see the point on the beer but a library ffs :lol:

I know Im always cynical and you tend to try and find the good points but all I can see is this being done purposefully to ensure we dont have time to spend on what should easily have been an hours worth of AOB on its own. 6 -7 on a Monday is a piss take

If its confirmed to close at 7:00pm then there'll be no arguments from me about that. I've now used the 'ask the trust' to enquire as, now that Bill is gone from the board, I don't think any of those left ever monitor the forum.

Hope to see you and hopefully a few others there anyway.

I wonder if the press have been invited...did Lee Ryder ever join? :nah:

Edited by MichaelNUFC

Just a few other comments from what's been said.

As already mentioned, the prospect of the AGM lasting an hour (or less) seems absolutely crazy and it would seem like an excuse. They've informed us at the last minute, choosing the very last day possible to hold the AGM. The committee seem very reluctant to hold members meetings. It strikes me that booking a room for 6 would offer the perfect excuse. 'Er, sorry, we have to move on because we have to be done by 7.'

The beer issue, I can take or leave. It doesn't bother me either way.

Fundraisers, I don't have a problem with them in principle. I believe that as well as being a Trust, NUST should also serve the Supporters Club angle, and there should be social events. I'm all for comedy nights, talk-ins/sporting dinners with ex-players. The problem is when you're seen to be doing that, but are not also holding members meetings answering and addressing members' questions and concerns, which is the case here. Here's the thing - hold the members meetings, be open and communicate with your membership and thee events will prove more popular. People will be more happy to pay for fundraisers if they know what the trust is using the funds for.

Fortunatly I finish graft early enough to make it. I'm ashamed to say but I've lost a lot of interest in "dedicating" anymore time to this. I see the AGM being held at the venue and the time it's at as being to prevent as high a turnout as possible.

The drink isn't an issue as we're capable of going an hour without but the 6pm start is ridiculous.

I'm as cynical about this as FCB's regime.

On a completely seperate note does anybody know what 'reappointment of auditors' refers to and why it needs to take up a slot in the AGM?

It's a standard thing for most AGMs. Normally a formality.

On a completely seperate note does anybody know what 'reappointment of auditors' refers to and why it needs to take up a slot in the AGM?

It's a standard thing for most AGMs. Normally a formality.

But who are our auditors? Is that who watches the watchmen?