Anyone going to West Ham

bobbyshinton

Slighty off topic but how shit is the tickets section off the new website . 9 times out of ten i get

Due to the high volume of activity, we are currently unable to connect you.

Click here to try again.

No doubt the recent website upgrade included moving to a smaller cheaper server that can only cope with about 5 people at any1 time.

Not good enough

Slighty off topic but how shit is the tickets section off the new website . 9 times out of ten i get

Due to the high volume of activity, we are currently unable to connect you.

Click here to try again.

No doubt the recent website upgrade included moving to a smaller cheaper server that can only cope with about 5 people at any1 time.

Not good enough

Likely because the mackem tickets are on sale. I'd advise folk to try after 11pm it seems easier to access then.

Im going, off to stop at a mates in chelmsford for the weekend, should be canny. here's a list of boozers ive found

The Boleyn (by Mike Reich)

One of my favourite pubs, and without doubt the best placed, it is situated on the corner of Green Street and Barking Road. It is the best place to get yourself hyped up before a match (if you ever need it), and with loads of Hammers crammed into such a small place it is good fun.

Too crowded to take youngsters in though - they would feel overwhelmed (although of course youngsters aren't allowed in public houses!!!). This pub is home support only (as are most pubs in the vicinity of Upton Park though), but away supporters do go in there.

Situated right next to the ground, it is the best place outside of the ground to down your pint just before kick-off. Behaviour is normally pretty good due to the large police presence, normally just outside the door.

The Queens (by Mike Reich)

You can't miss The Queens if you're coming by tube, as it's on Green Street between the station and the ground. It is therefore another of the very busy pubs, but again with a good jovial atmosphere.

Away fans often come in here, and there are very rarely problems with that. Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea and Man U should avoid showing colors though, as per the Green Man (see above).

Well worth dropping in to have a pint in here.

The Duke of Edinburgh (by Mike Reich)

If you turn left instead of right out of the tube station (i.e. away from the ground), before long you will stumble across The Duke of Edinburgh. As it is in the wrong direction, it tends to be slightly quieter than either the Boleyn or Queens, but it still has a good atmosphere, with the benefit of faster serving times!

Again, they are not strict on away fans, but heed the warnings about colors for Queens.

The Green Man (by Si Lewis)

The Green Man pub can be found on the junction of Plashet Grove and Katherine Road. Being around 10 minutes walk from the ground it's nowhere near as busy as the Boleyn and this is a distinct advantage for those who want a relatively quiet drink and maybe even a chance to sit down.

If you are meeting friends and want a chat you may prefer it. Decor isn't up to much but the staff are very quick and friendly.

Away supporters can usually get away with wearing team colors though that doesn't really apply to Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea and Man United. Everyone else is probably okay.

You can have a game of pool and also watch the big screen TV. Always handy for those 12pm Sky games on a Saturday that you can see the tail end off and then amble down to the Boleyn.

For those on the yahoo groups West Ham mailing list it's the traditional place to meet before games and for anyone wanting to meet up for the first it's easy as it's not busy.

To find it if you are coming from Upton Park tube station, turn left out of the station. Take the 2nd exit on the mini roundabout and walk down Plashet Grove, you will see it on right hand side of you when you reach the traffic lights.

A map of the area can be found at streetmap.co.uk.

The Barking Dog (by depressed-of-essex)

The Barking Dog is your typical J.D. Weatherspoon's pub and is situated rather conveniently, next to Barking Railway station. 'The Dog' is an ideal stop off for those coming in from the Essex area.

This pub starts getting busy fairly early and so by 2.00pm you can be ‘shoulder to shoulder' with other fans. There is always a mad rush to leave at about 2.30. This enables you to easily catch a District Line tube to Upton Park (only 2 stops).

As it is so distant from the ground, away supporters rarely venture here.

All the usual beverages are on offer here; including Stella Artois, Kronenbourg, Fosters, Kozel (my personal favorite!) and a healthy selection of Real Ale for those interested in such brews.

The Black Lion (by depressed-of-essex)

Located in Plaistow High Street and is only a 5 minute walk from Plaistow Train Station. This historic pub is said to have links with Dick Turpin (as do most pubs in the area!) It is also home to the famous West Ham Boys Boxing Club.

The Black Lion prides itself on its selection of Real Ale, but it also stocks the usual brews. One point to note however, lovers of Stella will be disappointed or be forced and may have to make do with 1664!

This pub is split into two main areas. There is the front bar with its bare floorboards or there is the back bar. The back bar is a little more comfortable and not quite so busy.

Weather permitting; there is also a substantial beer garden with numerous tables and large areas for the youngsters to run around.

The walk to the ground from The Black Lion can become a bit of a mystery tour if you are alone but on match day's you will have no problem following the large groups of fans that depart for the stadium before kick-off time.

As with most pubs in the area away fans are welcomed so long as they are to have a quiet drink and not too cause trouble.

Will be drinking around Kings Cross before heading to Green Street

The Millers (old Dun-A-Ri) [19 Caledonian Road, N1 9DX]

millers.jpg

and The Flying Scotsman (with strippers) [2-4 Caledonian Rd, N1 9DU]

flyscotsman.jpg

1. Millers [19 Caledonian Road]

2. The Flying Scotsman [2-4 Caledonian Rd]

kingsx.jpg

kingx2.jpg

Is The Queens the best place to go around Upton Park? Duke of Edinburgh is canny

Edited by Nobby

Is The Queens the best place to go around Upton Park?

It used to be the wmc at the other side of the ground but I think they banned away fans from there a few years back, I havent been in there for ages now which is a shame as it was cheap and easy to get to the ground from. If you didnt have colours on you could probably still get in there, afterwards as well.

Get off the tube at Plaistow but for fucks sakes dont go to the Victoria Tavern down the road and over the bridge from the station...a load of us turned up there a couple of years back and it was like a BNP meeting...got loads of grief from the locals, yet the year before I took the then missus in and was made welcome. Go past that shithole and down to the next one on the same street, the name of which escapes me at the moment, but if you get a kicking from the lads stood outside the Tavern dont blame me :lol:

That pub is called the Black Lion and its about 10 mins walk from upton park...just follow the locals :angry:

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/comments.shtml/16998/

Or you could try the Duke of Edinburgh on Green St, turn left out of the tube station..

we are going down Friday night staying in kings X.

Normal bars Millers, Northumbrian maybe the Scotsman.

Anyone fancies meeting for a few see you there. (four dodgey blokes tattoed to fuck over weight and gold teeth) :angry:

Hard to get on site now to change in circumstances, lost me arms in a machining accident.

have fun

I'm kidding by the way

Anyone fancies meeting for a few see you there. (four dodgey blokes tattoed to fuck over weight and gold teeth) :icon_lol:

Hard to get on site now to change in circumstances, lost me arms in a machining accident.

have fun

I'm kidding by the way

About your arms or your gold teeth :angry:

Alex says you're more likely to have lost your fingers in the pie mince :lol:

Anyone fancies meeting for a few see you there. (four dodgey blokes tattoed to fuck over weight and gold teeth) :icon_lol:

have fun

I'm kidding by the way

Alex, Alex you know the rest.................

I will post the number I'm using Friday if anyone wants a social

were tickets for this £36?

West Ham are doing an offer to try and fill the ground where a season ticket holder can get 2 tickets for £15. will this be subject to the same rules as Sheffield Wednesday away last year, when there were a load of refunds?

were tickets for this £36?

West Ham are doing an offer to try and fill the ground where a season ticket holder can get 2 tickets for £15. will this be subject to the same rules as Sheffield Wednesday away last year, when there were a load of refunds?

Yeah I paid £36, more expensive than Arsenal!!!

have fun

I'm kidding by the way

Less with the insults by proxy you coward :icon_lol:

Guest Tuco Ramirez

I like the Queens like if it's a nice day cos you can stand outside drinking your pint in the forecourt, and its like 10 feet away from the market and you hear all the chirpy cockney market stallsman giving it their Pete Beale. Plus it's the closest to the street you walk down to the away end. That narrow walkway at the side of the houses must be a nightmare if there's any mob about though.

If I was going I'd turn out at 12 in the Railway at Liverpool Street, and get the District Line over about 1:40.

The away end at West Ham is really shallow too, shit view of the action, but as an away day it's not the worst.

I like the Queens like if it's a nice day cos you can stand outside drinking your pint in the forecourt, and its like 10 feet away from the market and you hear all the chirpy cockney market stallsman giving it their Pete Beale. Plus it's the closest to the street you walk down to the away end. That narrow walkway at the side of the houses must be a nightmare if there's any mob about though.

Doubt it'll be a nice day like!

Think I'll be going to The Duke of Edinburgh (299 Green Street, left out of Upton Park Station) after the bars at Kings Cross.

greenst.jpg

3768458069_3d1e7551e0.jpgdukey.jpg

The Queens looks shit

467442802_d45c55966e.jpg3769259732_c8ff5f1fe0.jpg

http://ultimatepubguide.com/pubs/footy.phtml

Edited by Nobby

what time will you be getting into kings cross?

TOON TOON

The 9am train gets in at 12.20. Think most people will be on that. I know quite a few lads that are travelling down on the Friday night though.

TOON TOON

The 9am train gets in at 12.20. Think most people will be on that. I know quite a few lads that are travelling down on the Friday night though.

TOON TOON

i'll prob get to the pubs in kings cross for 12ish...

hopefully be a good crowd by then