Newcastle United 2-2 Wigan Athletic

Deano

I'll get slated for saying this but fuck it, Perch wasnt to blame for either goal yesterday and if he was out of position on the 2nd its because he was not expecting Barton to give the ball away stupidly. Although Happy Face is right about the influence of Guthrie on putting a positionally suspect player under more pressure but that didnt lead to either goal and neither can be blamed on him.

Funny the mentality of the fans blaming everything on Nolan one week and Perch the next. When the facts of the match and the overall performance yesterday prove neither to be true. We were just as insipid without Nolan.

I do get a bit exasperated by some opinions, read that people in the Gallowgate were getting on Tiote's back during the game yesterday :lol: Well, i suppose the law of averages tells us half our fans are below average intelligence.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I'll get slated for saying this but fuck it, Perch wasnt to blame for either goal yesterday and if he was out of position on the 2nd its because he was not expecting Barton to give the ball away stupidly. Although Happy Face is right about the influence of Guthrie on putting a positionally suspect player under more pressure but that didnt lead to either goal and neither can be blamed on him. " - ChezGiven

You know the other week when Perch furiously powered an exocet of a shot into our goal with his head, was that one his fault? Maybe the rest of the team neglected to tell him which way we were attacking, regardless I think Perch has been the best player of my lifetime on balance.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

You're joking or have no idea ChezGiven. Either one.

Perch was apparently 'marking' N'Zobgia on the back post for their first. Had an eon to get in position. Didn't help that Williamson backed into them, but Perch still should have had the much shorter N'Zogbia marked out of having a chance at scoring.

The second one you see Perch in acres of space on his own making minimal effort to move back even after we'd turned the ball over. No urgency from him whatsoever, N'Zogbia plainly runs into the space that Perch should be filling, but he's not there is he? Why? Because he's a coward who decided that seeing as he can't actually defend he'll push as far up the pitch as possible, then when anything happens at the back hopefully one of the defenders who's actually there trying to do his job will get blamed for it. He almost cost us another goal as well, but thankfully N'Zogbia wasted that chance with an ordinary pass that Tiote got back to clean up.

I think that now Chez has reached an age where intricate dance moves are beyond him, he is searching for new ways to be 'hip'. Apparently defending shit players is the new 'in thing' now. Whenever the consensus is reached that player X is atrocious, he'll be there to defend him against ill. Well I hope you're pleased with yourself, Mr. CZ.

Williamson at fault for the first, its a lobbed ball into the 6 yard box and was his ball. Him being in an advanced position on the second was due to Barton giving the ball away. Therefore, neither goal can be blamed on him. He doesnt do very well in either case as he isnt a good player, that doesnt make him to blame.

'In acres of space on his own' :lol: thats what you're meant to do when your team is in possession.

I think that now Chez has reached an age where intricate dance moves are beyond him, he is searching for new ways to be 'hip'. Apparently defending shit players is the new 'in thing' now. Whenever the consensus is reached that player X is atrocious, he'll be there to defend him against ill. Well I hope you're pleased with yourself, Mr. CZ.

Williamson and Barton at fault, anyone saying otherwise is a simpleton.

Williamson at fault for the first, its a lobbed ball into the 6 yard box and was his ball. Him being in an advanced position on the second was due to Barton giving the ball away. Therefore, neither goal can be blamed on him. He doesnt do very well in either case as he isnt a good player, that doesnt make him to blame.

'In acres of space on his own' :lol: thats what you're meant to do when your team is in possession.

Do you play or have you ever played football yourself?

As a right back your primary responsibility is to defend, not to push so high up the pitch that you find some space but leave yourself in a position where you can't (or won't) recover to perfrom your primary duty. The funny thing about possession is that it always comes to an end. Where you are when it comes to an end is all to do with defensive positioning. If Coloccini, Enrique and Williamson had all plowed their way deep up the field into space do you think they would have been doing what they were meant to be doing when the team is in possession? The space that Perch moved into only served to create a ridiculous amount of space for N'Zogbia a player with a vast attacking superiority. Therefore, it's moronic to move into space as James Perch when doing so will create space for Charles N'Zogbia.

Perch's failure to defend cost us dearly on two occassions and almost again on a third.

If you fail to see that Perch is clearly out of his depth then you're an idiot, or you're just being argumentative for the sake of it. Perch went missing, and we conceded. He pushes so far up the pitch because he feels that doing so will mean that he won't have to actually defend against anyone, because that will show him up as a poor defender. Unfortunately for him pushing up highlights him as a poor crosser and as a fullback with horrible positioning. On top of that the first goal, and another ocassion where someone skipped by him effortlessly on the dribble showed him up as a poor defender. So we saw the trifecta of incompetence for a fullback from Perch - Wasteful crossing, horrible positioning and crap defending.

The Mail's claiming Hughton would have been sacked if we had lost to Wigan in a third successive home defeat, would love to know who they think they could get hold of that would do any better right now tbh... oh hang on, didn't Joe Kinnear say he'd like a return to the club?

:lol: So you insist he was to blame for both goals then? Fair enough, i reckon Williamson and Barton were at fault. Thats all i have said as well. I wont respond to anything else as i never argued anything you suggest i did.

Not the only one to blame, but clearly the player most at fault in my opinion for both goals. If we had a competent right back they wouldn't have scored either goal. Blaming Barton for the goal is a bit ridiculous. He may have been at fault for turning the ball over, but he's not to blame for the goal being conceded. Otherwise by that logic every goal could be blamed on the person who turned the ball over.

When it comes down to it the most important bit is the part in bold. No player is going to always be passing perfectly. As a defender you need to be able to anticipate when your team may potentially lose possession. If you make a run up the pitch you need to ensure that your area (and/or player) is being covered by someone else. Usually for a right fullback that would be the right midfielder, but it is plainly the defenders responsiblity to coordinate with the midfielder to cover the run.

Edited by OzToonFan

Not the only one to blame, but clearly the player most at fault in my opinion for both goals. If we had a competent right back they wouldn't have scored either goal.

quoted for truth

You're joking or have no idea ChezGiven. Either one.

Perch was apparently 'marking' N'Zobgia on the back post for their first. Had an eon to get in position. Didn't help that Williamson backed into them, but Perch still should have had the much shorter N'Zogbia marked out of having a chance at scoring.

The second one you see Perch in acres of space on his own making minimal effort to move back even after we'd turned the ball over. No urgency from him whatsoever, N'Zogbia plainly runs into the space that Perch should be filling, but he's not there is he? Why? Because he's a coward who decided that seeing as he can't actually defend he'll push as far up the pitch as possible, then when anything happens at the back hopefully one of the defenders who's actually there trying to do his job will get blamed for it. He almost cost us another goal as well, but thankfully N'Zogbia wasted that chance with an ordinary pass that Tiote got back to clean up.

Agree with that, particularly with the section placed in bold.

I'd have a bit more time for Perch if he'd fucking went in hard Andy Griffin-style once or twice but he isn't even that type of character. He's way out of his depth imo and I feel a bit sorry for him. He's got a bit of pace and that's about it.

Thing is Chez, if you watch him when we have the ball he sort of makes runs (a bit like Ryan Taylor) where it's obvious he doesn't really want the ball but knows he should be making the runs anyway.

Obviously this is down to a lack of confidence in part, not helped by the crowd being on his back, but it's also, imo, because he knows he isn't good enough.

Guest Tuco Ramirez
I'd have a bit more time for Perch if he'd fucking went in hard Andy Griffin-style once or twice but he isn't even that type of character. He's way out of his depth imo and I feel a bit sorry for him. He's got a bit of pace and that's about it.

I feel sorry for him, he's a human being be expected to do something he's not capable of, it's got to hurt him. Accept anything over 400k for him at the earliest time.

I agree like. I said to my mate the best thing Perch can do is put N'Zogbia in row Z first touch he gets. First 10 mins N'Zogbia hid..because he quite rightly thought he was going to get clattered because of the history and wanted to avoid it. When the clattering never came and he realised the RB was going to give him all the time in the world he grew in confidence and scored twice. Before anyone starts I'm not saying Perch or anyone else should have injured him, just go in hard, make him think he's going to get kicked all day and he would have hid or at least been less confident on the ball. Seen it done loads before, works a treat. Missed a trick AGAIN.

I'll sat this for Perch which I say about a lot of players, he didn't sell himself to us, he doesn't pick himself, he is trying. He's obviously not good enough, but getting on his back is only going to make him less confident and more shitter. Having said that, I think Simpson will waltz straight back in now anyway.

I agree like. I said to my mate the best thing Perch can do is put N'Zogbia in row Z first touch he gets. First 10 mins N'Zogbia hid..because he quite rightly thought he was going to get clattered because of the history and wanted to avoid it. When the clattering never came and he realised the RB was going to give him all the time in the world he grew in confidence and scored twice. Before anyone starts I'm not saying Perch or anyone else should have injured him, just go in hard, make him think he's going to get kicked all day and he would have hid or at least been less confident on the ball. Seen it done loads before, works a treat. Missed a trick AGAIN.

I'll sat this for Perch which I say about a lot of players, he didn't sell himself to us, he doesn't pick himself, he is trying. He's obviously not good enough, but getting on his back is only going to make him less confident and more shitter. Having said that, I think Simpson will waltz straight back in now anyway.

Isnt that basically what De Jong sought to do?

I think there's a big difference tbh Jon (although only De Jong would know for sure what his intentions) and I wasn't advocating injuring N'Zogbia either.

I'm not talking about lunging in like a tit and trying to hurt him, I'm talking about being physical with him and letting him know you're about. He was nervous as fuck first 10 mins which is why he hid, he was there for the taking and because we didn't he grew in confidence and the rest is history..

• 3 weeks later...