Pardew holds new transfer talks with Ashley

henda11

Pardew holds new transfer summit with Ashley

Published 23:00 20/01/11 By MirrorFootball

Recommend

newcastle-mike-ashley-cropped

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew yesterday pleaded with owner Mike Ashley for cash to bring in new players during the transfer window.

Pardew is worried he has not been able to strengthen his squad as his injury list mounts, with Andy Carroll still injured and Alan Smith now ruled out for the rest of the season.

Pardew had already held a transfer summit with Ashley at the start of month. But, with time running out, they arranged to meet again yesterday at St James’ Park.

“I’m going to see Mike Ashley just to reinforce the point - that’s my job,” said Pardew beforehand, who insisted he would be “very surprised and disappointed” if he didn’t make any signings in the next 10 days.

“I’m not saying it’s the end of the world, but I do feel the need to bring in a player or two as soon as we can - absolutely," he said. “It’s a concern that we have lost so many players to injuries.”

Although he was not landed any of his targets, Pardew has been inundated with calls from agents about possible deals.

”I’m not enjoying the transfer window at all," he revealed. "It’s been the worst period for myself as a manager. I can’t remember it being quite as active as this in previous windows.

“The agents involved only have a month to earn their money, so an agent parks himself in the middle of a deal even if he doesn’t represent the player. It just goes on and on. It’s chaos trying to put it all together."

Smith is the latest player to be sidelined after injuring the same ankle that threatened his future when he broke it while at Manchester United.

Pardew denied the latest setback could finish Smith’s career.

He said: ”That’s overstepping the mark. He’s still a young guy and has plenty of years ahead of him.”

But the manager admitted: ”It’s a big blow for Alan - it’s not good. He’s a tough boy and a real man’s man, so taking his trade away for six months after what he’s been through will be very very difficult for him.

“Not many would cope with it but Alan will. He’s down at minute but will be fine because he has that strength of will.

“He’s very important to us, not just on the playing side, but in the dressing room as a leader throughout the place He’s one of those lieutenants who police the training ground and will be a big loss for me.”

Meanwhile, thigh-strain victim Carroll is making slow progress and has now been ruled out for two more games.

”The solution is rest, really," said Pardew. "Although we are trying to accelerate the healing. We have thought about increasing his oxygen level, but that’s all you can do - generally treat the injury.

“We’ve talked about a decompression thing and about whether it would be beneficial. It’s something we might look at next week.”

Apparently gosling is out for the next 3 weeks as well? Squads looking awfully thin for the home stretch of the season, could really do with some new blood in the team :D

Surely he should try for Vela on loan. Maybe get a RM in, or get Ireland and play Barton on the right and Ireland in the middle with Tiote, then bang Ben Arfa on the left when hes back and we have quite a decent midfield.

Pardew: Mike and Derek, when you said there was money available in January you were joking weren't you?

FMA & Llambias: [giggle]

I still reckon we'll bring someone in.

Hang on a minute. There's only 4 on the injury list according to Physioroom.com (5 if you also include Gosling). The EPL average is about 3. Out of those only Ben Arfa and Carroll would be regular first teamers - one striker and one midfielder. Smith is a squad player, R Taylor ditto, Gosling has been out injured pretty much the whole season, so is a bench player at best. Tiote is not injured but suspended.

The squad may be thin but it's not down to injuries imo.

Pardew: Mike and Derek, when you said there was money available in January you were joking weren't you?

More like:

Pardew: "Hello Sandra, this is Alan Pardew, can I book an urgent meeting with Mike to talk about the January transfer budget?"

Secretary: "Hang on, I'll check his diary"

* Sound of muffled conversation *

Secretary: "I can't fit you in till February I'm afraid"

Injured:

Carroll

Smith

R. Taylor

S. Taylor

H. Ben Arfa

Gosling

Campbell has just returned from injury and Tiote is suspended. Kadar is injured, though he would have been out on loan if he wasn't. Routledge is halfway out the door on loan. Shola is injured every other game. With the small squad we have we're pretty paper thin at the minute, any further injuries or suspensions and we'd not be competitive.

More like:

Pardew: "Hello Sandra, this is Alan Pardew, can I book an urgent meeting with Mike to talk about the January transfer budget?"

Pardew: *sniggers* "No harm in trying, I'll meet you out the back in 15"

FYP

Injured:

Carroll

Smith

R. Taylor

S. Taylor

H. Ben Arfa

Gosling

Campbell has just returned from injury and Tiote is suspended. Kadar is injured, though he would have been out on loan if he wasn't. Routledge is halfway out the door on loan. Shola is injured every other game. With the small squad we have we're pretty paper thin at the minute, any further injuries or suspensions and we'd not be competitive.

If Kadar and Routledge are an important part of the squad why loan them out? Out of the players you listed surely only Carroll, Ben Arfa and S Taylor (who I wasn't aware is injured) could currently be described as first team players. 1 striker, midfielder, defender.

I don't disagree the squad isn't good or big enough but that was the case on day 1 of the season. To pull this "We're down to the bare bones" nonsense in the press (which 'Arry Redknapp usually indulges in) is disingenuous. It's not really to do with injuries, it's more about the squad being shit.

Edited by Kitman

More like:

I thought that was going to end with Sandra getting raped.

More like:

I thought that was going to end with Sandra getting raped.

:D

And, having taken control of player recruitment himself, Pardew is hoping to learn from his mistakes as we approach deadline day.

He explained: “One of the problems I’ve had is I’ve not been here long so there is no strategy in place for taking phone calls. Most are coming through to me when they could be going to the chief scout or the chief executive.

“We are all aware now that deals are done above managers and we come in at the last minute. Thankfully that doesn’t happen here, but at other clubs it does.”

urgh.

And, having taken control of player recruitment himself, Pardew is hoping to learn from his mistakes as we approach deadline day.

He explained: “One of the problems I’ve had is I’ve not been here long so there is no strategy in place for taking phone calls. Most are coming through to me when they could be going to the chief scout or the chief executive.“We are all aware now that deals are done above managers and we come in at the last minute. Thankfully that doesn’t happen here, but at other clubs it does.”

urgh.

Aye, because that's not something the club should've sorted out in the three and a half years they've had since Ashley took over. :icon_lol::D

Do Newcastle really need to strengthen? Certainly I have been surprised by the overall strength of your playing squad and think maybe it would be wiser to save funds for the Summer? You're already safe in my opinion, a few more wins and you'll have reached 40 points, then thats your season basically over.

Edited by Rhys1879SAFC

Do Newcastle really need to strengthen? Certainly I have been surprised by the overall strength of your playing squad and think maybe it would be wiser to save funds for the Summer? You're already safe in my opinion, a few more wins and you'll have reached 40 points, then thats your season basically over.

I think we're looking at loan deals which is fine by me.

Btw, re: Pardew's comments, I wonder if Pardew has had many calls along the lines of "Is that you Alan?...Just phoning about wor lass"

.COM seem pretty convinced we're stalling on deals for Larsson, SWP & Ireland because we're either:

a ) asking the owning club to pay a proportion of the salary on a loan move

b ) asking the player to take a pay cut in order to allow a permanent move

When's FMA going to realise he's holding no fucker to randsom? :D