How much World conflict is caused by Oil?

Anorthernsoul

I have, saw it at the pictures. But I was so mesmerised by Van Dammes tight shorts when he did the splits in the kitchen across the counters when the water was on the floor and he was going to get electrocuted that I dion't follow the story at all.

Honestly, it's the only bit i can remember.

I had a math teacher who spent a lesson explaining that he is the only man in the world who can do that move. Might have something to do with why I'm so shit at math. I was really young when I saw that movie and the sex scene excited me tremendously, but also the prescient message of how criminals will use time travel to steal priceless artifacts and resources, thus sparking world conflict.

He must have had a clause in his contracts stating there had to be at least one scene in which he ended up having to do the splits.

And Meenzer, how long have you been browsing this page? :huh::lol:

I guess actual full out wars caused by/for oil? Not many

Maybe the invasion of Kuwait by Saddam??

A major contributing factor in the overthrow of the Iranian Govt in the 50's by the CIA, British involvement in Oman, the Biafran War, S Sudan, the Buraimi Oasis face off......................................

If you considered the carve-up of the Middle East atlas and the installation of several rulers by the US/UK governments and the Oil Companies after the first and second world wars then it I'd say it has been a contributor.

Do you think we're sending our brave young soldiers to die in Afghanistan solely for oil? :)

Bugger all oil in Afghanistan other than the stuff the US military ship in

If you considered the carve-up of the Middle East atlas and the installation of several rulers by the US/UK governments and the Oil Companies after the first and second world wars then it I'd say it has been a contributor.

"Carve up" is exactly right - but it wasn't all the west

The whole area had been run by the Torks and so you had many competing nationalists as well

Afghanistan, Egypt, Persia & Yemen came out pretty much as was

Saudi was created partly as thanks to the Al Saud support in the Arab Revolt

Israel -Palestine was a gift as thanks for Jewish support in WWI and to get the Jewish problem off the back of the Govt in London

Syria & Lebanon were due to French meddling, Jordan was the Hashemites, Iraq was (more or less) the old Land of the Two Rivers

At the time very little oil had been found in Saudi - it was mainly in the Caucasus, Persia & N Iraq

The man who really drew the boundaries was of course that fabulous chancer, Calouste Gulbenkian, who being totally untrustworthy was the only man they all would listen to when it came to sharing out the oil concessions (and he quietly had a 5% override0

Read the "the Prize" by Danial Yergin - the definitive study of the history of the oil business

• 2 months later...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/polit...aq-2269610.html

Secret memos expose link between oil firms and invasion of Iraq

Five months before the March 2003 invasion, Baroness Symons, then the Trade Minister, told BP that the Government believed British energy firms should be given a share of Iraq's enormous oil and gas reserves as a reward for Tony Blair's military commitment to US plans for regime change.

The papers show that Lady Symons agreed to lobby the Bush administration on BP's behalf because the oil giant feared it was being "locked out" of deals that Washington was quietly striking with US, French and Russian governments and their energy firms.

Minutes of a meeting with BP, Shell and BG (formerly British Gas) on 31 October 2002 read: "Baroness Symons agreed that it would be difficult to justify British companies losing out in Iraq in that way if the UK had itself been a conspicuous supporter of the US government throughout the crisis."

The minister then promised to "report back to the companies before Christmas" on her lobbying efforts.

The Foreign Office invited BP in on 6 November 2002 to talk about opportunities in Iraq "post regime change". Its minutes state: "Iraq is the big oil prospect. BP is desperate to get in there and anxious that political deals should not deny them the opportunity."

The board of advisors for a oil company that came into existence in 2003 and is now worth billions.

http://www.vastexploration.com/index.asp?pid=53

Hmm.

BILLIONS?

69 million shares at circa CAN$ 0.40 = around £25 mm quid

I think it must have been referring to Niko Resources (worth 4bn), or an estimate of the potential in the field in Kurdistan. I didnt check.

Well the Ivory Coast kill shit loads of people and we dont give a fuck. But in Iraq and libya we go in so the oil reserves get kept. Think about it we need oil and oil will end the world one day. Either by lack of resources or a world war. Maybe USA and Europe V China and Russia.

Well the Ivory Coast kill shit loads of people and we dont give a fuck. But in Iraq and libya we go in so the oil reserves get kept. Think about it we need oil and oil will end the world one day. Either by lack of resources or a world war. Maybe USA and Europe V China and Russia.

Scary thought.

Im moving to africa then.

we'd have gone in if the price of chocolate had gone sky high

we'd have gone in if the price of chocolate had gone sky high

Shut up Rob.