John Carver's turn

Craig

Newcastle United have handed assistant manager John Carver a new five-and-a-half-year deal.

Carver was brought back to the Club in January on a contract until the end of the season, but has impressed as Alan Pardew's right-hand man and been rewarded this week.

Having previously served as number two under Sir Bobby Robson at St. James' Park until September 2004, Carver knows Newcastle as well as anyone.

And the 46-year-old is delighted to have extended his stay, saying: "It is great to get this sorted.

"It was right for the manager to give me a short-term deal at the time, because I didn't know him and a lot of the players had changed too.

"But it's been a great month or so, and when he gave me the long-term deal I was delighted.

"I've been around the world over the last few years and need to settle down now, and where better than my home town club."

Pardew added: "John returned here in January on a short-term contract to allow us to work together and get to know each other.

"It has been without doubt a huge success. I've really enjoyed working with John and I am delighted he has signed a new deal to make this a long-term partnership."

Whats with these monster contracts? Its mental.

The contracted is worth more when we sell them and/or keeps them on a low(er) wage for a longer period of time with the club not having to renegotiate for a few years.

Probably to fuck over the next oweners

I can't see what he would get out of that. It literally makes no sense. Not that all his actions do make sense but I can't believe there's another potential owner out there who wouldn't check the books first.

The contracted is worth more when we sell them and/or keeps them on a low(er) wage for a longer period of time with the club not having to renegotiate for a few years.

We're planning on selling John Carver? Football finances gone mad tbh.

:o

Not that it's likely with I'm not Jesus but I have the same initials but, um it's not as if an assistant coach has never been poached from another club before, is it?

Surely you've lost that great assistant when living your dreams on championship manager!

Handed a 5½ contract with the club. :o

Nothing's changed, he'll still be leaving in the summer

Did you mean to post that in the Tiote thread or has JC got some other job lined up?

All the signs are good at the minute.

Could MA be starting to show his ambition?

Carver will be instrumental in this clubs continued growth...he knows the club and is a very good coach.

Lets get a few more key contracts tied up and re-inforce this positive pattern in the summer with 5 quality signings.

Not that it's likely with I'm not Jesus but I have the same initials but, um it's not as if an assistant coach has never been poached from another club before, is it?

Surely you've lost that great assistant when living your dreams on championship manager!

I was just messing sammy :o . For the record, i've never played championship manager.

:o

Good news. It did make sense that he was on a short term deal and in fact Im surprised Pardoo / MA agreed he was right for the job so quickly. Good move though and unlike my sceptisism of the Tiote deal, I cant see any bad in this one.