The Toon to Heathrow

Guest LeazesLad

Tough call, I like Trophyshy's suggestion but you need to look at your working day. You will gain going to London on a flight if you travel early in the morning and work within an hour of heathrow. You should have a flexible ticket booked with an account at the firm with a travel agent or directly with BA. The flexibleness of the ticket is key. If you have this, it's more expensive per flight (but not that much different to a first class train season ticket) but means you can aim to arrive exactly 30 mins before the flight. If you miss it (which you won't) you can get the next one. Somebody wiser than me said 'if you've never missed a plane, you've spent too much time at airports'.

Anyway, its all about your hours, time getting up and what time you need to be there. So if you take the 7am from Newcastle you need to be at the airport by 6.30, this will get you into work by 9am. If you get the train, you will get there at 10.30. You'll get an extra 30 mins in bed. The train is much more chilled out and more relaxed though, which makes a lot of difference. I took the train for years buts that's because I was doing London Paris. If you need to save time, then fly.

Good luck, delighted for you btw.

Edited by ChezGiven

I don;t know where you will be based in London - do you have to go Heathrow. Victoria -Gatwick is about 30 mins on the train. no tube, less people much preferable journey if your south of the river. 1hr 20 from Gatwick to Newcastle, home and hosed in two and a half hours. Added bonus of a couple of pints with Spongebob if I stop off on my way home

Mind if I was closer to Kings Cross I would just get the train

I farily regularly fly down there although its usually when Im going sormewhere on the outskirts. To Heathrow its BA and if you book early enough can get it for £40, leaves about 7am and you're on the ground by 8.

EasyJet used to do Stansted at about the same time but theyve just cancelled it, FlyBe do a flight to Gatwick at 7.30 which again takes just over an hour.

All 3 airports have a fast shuttle into London Centre which takes about 20mins/half an hour expect to add another tenner per journey though to the cost.

Online check in means you can get to the airport 40mins before the flight leaves without any problems.

At the same time I like the train to Kings X and they do a frequent user scheme where if you spend £1800 in 3 months you get a load of freebies and access into the First Class lounge which is much more relaxed and you can get a beer.

train may be a little longer door to door but then you don't have to put up with all the moving around, security etc etc - you can actually work on the train but its nearly impossible on the plane

As someone who flies every week I'd certainly be getting the train given the chance. The hassle with checking in luggage, getting through security, flight delays and waiting for luggage at the other end isn't worth it. At least with the train you just jump on and off.

Guest LeazesLad
Terminal 5 is awful like, its not geared towards the average punter. Give me Stansted any day of the week, nice comfy area to plug the laptop in and relax unlike T5 where the only place to find a plug is in the bogs.

Got bad memories of Stansted, if I've got bad memories of something or someone I avoid it. Flew in there twice, the last time I mentioned, plane nearly fuckin crashed, or so I thought, and the first time got totally turfed over by customs coming back from Amsterdam.

Terminal 5 is awful like, its not geared towards the average punter. Give me Stansted any day of the week, nice comfy area to plug the laptop in and relax unlike T5 where the only place to find a plug is in the bogs.

That's not a plug! :rolleyes:

Flybe go to Gatwick from Newcastle btw.

Also doesn't take too long to get lounge access with Flybe.

They've upped the points required now but its still not too bad (works out as 35 domestic flights / 17.5 domestic return).

I think they are better than the Brazilian small jets BMI use on some runs - the overhead carry on capacity is very poor and you have to drop/collect your bags at the bottom the airstairs on some runs