Pardew on Ashley, Finances and Future

Christmas Tree

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew has claimed that the club will be spending money on new players in the summer.

The Magpies received a British transfer record £35million on transfer deadline day in January for star striker Andy Carroll from Liverpool,but were left with very little time to bring in a replacement with the sum received.

Free agent Shefki Kuqi was signed as a short-term fix to the problem of losing the England striker, but many fans were disappointed the club did not have a contingency plan once the 22-year-old departed.

Pardew told Sky Sports News that owner Mike Ashley, who has not been a popular figure on Tyneside since taking over the club in 2007, wanted to carry on investing, and he was doing his best to get as much money as he could for transfers.

"I think Mike's made it clear that the financial model that he's put in here is one where he doesn't have to go to his personal world to fund it," he said.

"While he is here, he wants to make it viable. We're going to use that money to build the club and have a team on the pitch.

"The most important thing is Mike's a supporter and he wants his team to be exciting and wants to get excited about the prospects of the club.

Passion

"So it's a two-fold situation here, and I'm leaning on his passion for the team to get more money out of him and use as much money as I can.

"The short of it is that we will be signing players in the summer, for sure."

The club sent out a statement of intent by securing midfielder Cheik Tiote on a six-and-a-half-year contract on Friday, something Pardew felt was a big message to their supporters about the commitment of their owner.

"I think with any club, it's difficult to keep any players at whatever club you're at," he continued.

"We're trying to do the best we can and for our fans to have this player secured for this length of time gives us some insurance.

"And we're hoping that he (Tiote) continues to play at the level he's been at, he's been absolutely brilliant.

"To be fair to Mike he's gone and said 'let's get this guy done,' because after Andy he wanted to make sure that he sent a message to the fans that he is here, he is keeping his eye firmly on the club and he wants to build the club. And this is a big step towards that.

"I think negotiating in the Premier League for any senior player is always complex and difficult.

"We want to keep our best players, I make it perfectly clear from a manager's point of view.

"Whether we can is down to the market and to the player themselves. You want to keep your best players and you want them to stay."

From Sky

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew has claimed that the club will be spending money on new players in the summer.

The Magpies received a British transfer record £35million on transfer deadline day in January for star striker Andy Carroll from Liverpool,but were left with very little time to bring in a replacement with the sum received.

Free agent Shefki Kuqi was signed as a short-term fix to the problem of losing the England striker, but many fans were disappointed the club did not have a contingency plan once the 22-year-old departed.

Pardew told Sky Sports News that owner Mike Ashley, who has not been a popular figure on Tyneside since taking over the club in 2007, wanted to carry on investing, and he was doing his best to get as much money as he could for transfers.

"I think Mike's made it clear that the financial model that he's put in here is one where he doesn't have to go to his personal world to fund it," he said.

"While he is here, he wants to make it viable. We're going to use that money to build the club and have a team on the pitch.

"The most important thing is Mike's a supporter and he wants his team to be exciting and wants to get excited about the prospects of the club.

Passion

"So it's a two-fold situation here, and I'm leaning on his passion for the team to get more money out of him and use as much money as I can.

The club sent out a statement of intent by securing midfielder Cheik Tiote on a six-and-a-half-year contract on Friday, something Pardew felt was a big message to their supporters about the commitment of their owner.

"I think with any club, it's difficult to keep any players at whatever club you're at," he continued.

"We're trying to do the best we can and for our fans to have this player secured for this length of time gives us some insurance.

"And we're hoping that he (Tiote) continues to play at the level he's been at, he's been absolutely brilliant.

"To be fair to Mike he's gone and said 'let's get this guy done,' because after Andy he wanted to make sure that he sent a message to the fans that he is here, he is keeping his eye firmly on the club and he wants to build the club. And this is a big step towards that.

"I think negotiating in the Premier League for any senior player is always complex and difficult.

"We want to keep our best players, I make it perfectly clear from a manager's point of view.

"Whether we can is down to the market and to the player themselves. You want to keep your best players and you want them to stay."

From Sky

But pisses millions away at Aspers. How nice it is of Mr. Ashley to gamble on the clubs future ability to compete at the highest level. Must have crystal balls!!

Sums the fat cunt up tbh :o

Passion

From Sky

But pisses millions away at Aspers. How nice it is of Mr. Ashley to gamble on the clubs future ability to compete at the highest level. Must have crystal balls!!

Sums the fat cunt up tbh :o

Fact remains those gambling "millions" are a mere fraction of the tens of millions he's pissed away into NUFC, which I maintain, he'll wait a fucking long time to get back and even longer to approach the dosh certain predecessors took out.

Passion

From Sky

Sums the fat cunt up tbh :(

Fact remains those gambling "millions" are a mere fraction of the tens of millions he's pissed away into NUFC, which I maintain, he'll wait a fucking long time to get back and even longer to approach the dosh certain predecessors took out.

what was it you said again in the other thread about being blinded by hatred and enjoy the good times while you can :o

Passion

From Sky

what was it you said again in the other thread about being blinded by hatred and enjoy the good times while you can :o

That is irrelevant, no hatred blinding me at all, just stating a fact or two.

Again you miss the point, the FACTS about the latter years of FFS's captaincy of the ship are laid bare, the facts about Ashley's tenure are yet to be laid bare.

Comparing chalk and cheese. Currently Ashley's NUFC is doing better than it has for years, like his methods or not (I don't as it happens) but I am enjoying it at the minute.

Edited by Toonpack

Passion

From Sky

Again you miss the point, the FACTS about the latter years of FFS's captaincy of the ship are laid bare, the facts about Ashley's tenure are yet to be laid bare.

Comparing chalk and cheese. Currently Ashley's NUFC is doing better than it has for years, like his methods or not (I don't as it happens) but I am enjoying it at the minute.

sigh.

The last season Brian Clough managed Notts Forest they went down, that doesn't make him a shit manager nor negate the achievements he made in his other years.

The FACT is that the Halls and Shepherd [not Shepherd which has been explained to you numerous times] SAVED the club from administration, and they DID NOT put the club into adminstration and left it light years superior in every way to how they found it, while in the process giving you by a million miles the best 15 years you have experienced and may not be eclipsed in your lifetime.

What a shame you spent all that time worrying about impending administration, hating the trophy players, harping on about warehouses, dividends and how embarrassing it all was, while the 30,000 supporters they attracted back to the club enjoyed it until they booed them for only finishing 5th in the premiership.

Edited by LeazesMag

Wanting the club to financially secure, the bastard

Turning the club into a laughing stock, the bastard. Assaulting its funds, the bastard. Seeing it as a product to make money out of, the bastard.

Guest Your Name Here

Passion

From Sky

sigh.

The last season Brian Clough managed Notts Forest they went down, that doesn't make him a shit manager nor negate the achievements he made in his other years.

The FACT is that the Halls and Shepherd [not Shepherd which has been explained to you numerous times] SAVED the club from administration, and they DID NOT put the club into adminstration and left it light years superior in every way to how they found it, while in the process giving you by a million miles the best 15 years you have experienced and may not be eclipsed in your lifetime.

What a shame you spent all that time worrying about impending administration, hating the trophy players, harping on about warehouses, dividends and how embarrassing it all was, while the 30,000 supporters they attracted back to the club enjoyed it until they booed them for only finishing 5th in the premiership.

Ah, the game everyone likes to pretend never happened, presumably because it was the catalyst for SBR’s ill timed sacking.

Passion

From Sky

sigh.

Don't put words into my mouth, or keyboard for that matter. Why don't you read what I worte - I was dissatisfied with the team/manager etc "at the time", The finacnes bit came later, when it was there to be seen with the benefit of that thing called hindsight.

BTW At the end Cloughie had lost the plot, it was time he rode off into the sunset, no-one is infallible forever and that indeed made him a shit manager at the end. Taking your logic that once good always good, I suppose Ian Botham should still be playing for England.

It's all about "what have you done for me lately" that's the nature of the game (any game for that matter).

As a final point they left it all but teetering on the brink of how they found it tbh. If not worse, there was a multi million £££ or thereabouts hole. That is also a fact. Sure they created the goose that laid the golden eggs, but they kept spending and creaming the pot when the goose was barren.

Passion

From Sky

sigh.

This old chestnut. Would he have won them another European Cup? Or got them into Europe? No, he was an alcoholic who had run out of ideas. Doesn't negate his past glorious one bit, but doesn't amount to a strategy for the future either.

Dealt with this one before so please stop wheeling it out. Ta.

Guest LeazesLad

Something just dawned on me there. If he uses Tiote's contract as a front for a portion of the Carroll £35m, he's a sly cunt in more ways than one. Most clubs offer 4 year deals, sometimes 3, if you have someone like Rooney or Fabregas there'll be a 5 or 6 year deal knocking around. However if Ashley is factoring the wage of his entire contract as part of this 35s it makes sense for him because instead of it being £10m over 4 years, it becomes £16m over 6 years, there by knocking 16s of the said budget to sign players, when he probably hopes to get the best price possible for Tiote in the future rendering the whole thing as a front and a load of bollocks.

Wanting the club to financially secure, the bastard

Turning the club into a laughing stock, the bastard. Assaulting its funds, the bastard. Seeing it as a product to make money out of, the bastard.

Evening Flid

Laughing stock - He's not alone, been there, seen it, done it, Mary Poppins and Women are Dogs'd it via a fake shiek'ed it.

Assulting the funds - please show where and when, it's the other way round so far.

Product to make money - as does almost every owner/chairman on the planet, to be fair Ashley is really making a fucking terrible job of this one so far.

Edited by Toonpack

Something just dawned on me there. If he uses Tiote's contract as a front for a portion of the Carroll £35m, he's a sly cunt in more ways than one. Most clubs offer 4 year deals, sometimes 3, if you have someone like Rooney or Fabregas there'll be a 5 or 6 year deal knocking around. However if Ashley is factoring the wage of his entire contract as part of this 35s it makes sense for him because instead of it being £10m over 4 years, it becomes £16m over 6 years, there by knocking 16s of the said budget to sign players, when he probably hopes to get the best price possible for Tiote in the future rendering the whole thing as a front and a load of bollocks.

I don't think he's going to submit a spreadsheet at the end of the next window, apportioning where each million of the £35 million has been accounted for. He might like, but I doubt it.

You're totally fucking right, you've found another of those terrible bastard things that might happen but hasn't yet.

Spot on :(

Tiote, Carver extend contracts. Factor in, once the Toon secure PL status, Enrique, Barton & even the Fenham Pele(contract up next season), will follow suit. That 35m, all of a sudden......dosen't look very big!! :o

Guest Your Name Here

You're totally fucking right, you've found another of those terrible bastard things that might happen but hasn't yet.

About five weeks ago you could have said the same about selling Andy Carroll.

Psychic Stevie :o

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport..._medium=twitter

From Sky

I was always prepared to bank roll Newcastle up to the tune of £20 million per year... That was my bargain. I would make the club solvent. I would make it a going concern. I would pour up to £20 million a year into the club and not expect anything back.

Clear as mud.

From Sky

I was always prepared to bank roll Newcastle up to the tune of £20 million per year... That was my bargain. I would make the club solvent. I would make it a going concern. I would pour up to £20 million a year into the club and not expect anything back.

Clear as mud.

Past tense. You've lifted that quote directly from a statement where he was explaining that he would no longer be bankrolling the club, if I'm not mistaken?

From Sky

Clear as mud.

Past tense. You've lifted that quote directly from a statement where he was explaining that he would no longer be bankrolling the club, if I'm not mistaken?

Because he claimed to be selling it.

If he's not selling, why's he not bankrolling like he seemed to realise was required to build anything 3 years ago in the same position?

Edited by Happy Face