2009-2011: A two-season triumph for the Toon

Irrelevant Nick KP

I don't want oil sheikhs from countries with barbaric laws to own Newcastle, but I'll still support the team if they take over.

And knuckle-dragging comments just because people don't agree, aren't going to stop me from voicing my opinion.

Its not a question of disagreeing, claiming these last two seasons were better than 95-97 is not an opinion. Its either an illness or a wind up.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the benchmark of a successful season is that we got back in the PL (which we should never have been relegated from in the first place), paying less wages and doing better than teams who spent more money than us on players? Well woop de doo, let's hang out the fucking bunting. Much more fun than challenging for the title, or playing in the CL.

We got relegated with players like Owen,Martins,Duff,Viduka so called big names on mega bucks. We have stayed up with a decent bunch of players with a great team spirit. We do need new players but ones that fit in and not big time Charlie's. I would say our first season back has been a success as we will be in the prem next season but we need to build on it

Owen, Martins and Duff have gone on to better things since they left us too.

We also played in the champions league because we bought top footballers and paid the going rate that top clubs ought to be doing.

What's your problem ?

We will go down again with cheap 2nd hand inferior goods under Mike Ashley, nothing is more certain, and this time, without remnants of the previous "high paid big names" left to get back first time, the stay in the lower division will be a lot more prolonged than last time.

Fuck off you mug. Owen has played about ten times for Man U and Martins has moved clubs 3 times. I really can't be arsed, all your posts are the same

"mug", is that the current buzz word ?

How many times have you seen NUFC play sonny ? Change your telescope. People like you spout the same shite all the time too, I'm just responding to you.

YOU tell ME how many clubs have consistently qualified for europe or better with the cheap bargains you appear to insist are so easy to find, and that Alex Ferguson has been doing it all wrong for over 20 years.

Time will tell, I will be proved right. Arsehole

When did I say bargain basement players, I want players who want to play and win not go through the motions and pick up their cash. You really are a negative twat

We got relegated with players like Owen,Martins,Duff,Viduka so called big names on mega bucks. We have stayed up with a decent bunch of players with a great team spirit. We do need new players but ones that fit in and not big time Charlie's. I would say our first season back has been a success as we will be in the prem next season but we need to build on it

Owen, Martins and Duff have gone on to better things since they left us too.

We also played in the champions league because we bought top footballers and paid the going rate that top clubs ought to be doing.

What's your problem ?

We will go down again with cheap 2nd hand inferior goods under Mike Ashley, nothing is more certain, and this time, without remnants of the previous "high paid big names" left to get back first time, the stay in the lower division will be a lot more prolonged than last time.

Fuck off you mug. Owen has played about ten times for Man U and Martins has moved clubs 3 times. I really can't be arsed, all your posts are the same

"mug", is that the current buzz word ?

How many times have you seen NUFC play sonny ? Change your telescope. People like you spout the same shite all the time too, I'm just responding to you.

YOU tell ME how many clubs have consistently qualified for europe or better with the cheap bargains you appear to insist are so easy to find, and that Alex Ferguson has been doing it all wrong for over 20 years.

Time will tell, I will be proved right. Arsehole

When did I say bargain basement players, I want players who want to play and win not go through the motions and pick up their cash. You really are a negative twat

I'm one of the most positive minded people you could know, this is the basis of everything I post concerning my own expectations of the club and where I think it ought to be. Unfortunately right now, I've seen enough to know the club is going down the wrong road. The negative people are those like you who have an inferiority complex and accept 2nd and 3rd rate expectations and standards.

The simple point, is that in the specific case you mention, those players were unhappy with a club they correctly perceived as going nowhere, but downwards. Your stance is incorrect, you should be asking why they felt the way they did and correct whatever is or was wrong. THAT is positive minded, not the other way round.

We have stayed up this season on the back of optimism and the spirit borne out of winning the lower league last season, but this will only go so far. Without quality you are fucked, long term, and next season will show you this unless we buy quality players this summer but having just sold our best striker don't hold your breath the owner understands this, like his sports shops, he sees it as nothing other then cheap commodities to buy and sell for profits. When Enrique goes, that will be another one gone. Don't think Barton will stay when he sees this happen.

Kitman, No one would play for it? I don't agree about that.

And I would keep supporting the Toon if someone like City's owners came and bought us, but I'd be happier winning the Carling Cup with Ashley (who understands more about Geordie culture than they do, and has a financial policy I approve of) than winning the Champions League under them.

Basically, fuck off you utter plank.

And I would keep supporting the Toon if someone like City's owners came and bought us, but I'd be happier winning the Carling Cup with Ashley (who understands more about Geordie culture than they do, and has a financial policy I approve of) than winning the Champions League under them.

acrossthepond, do you play the trombone? :D:icon_lol::D:icon_lol::D:blush: LOL LOL LOL :);)

indeed. We have another one.

So you'd rather watch Ameobi and co meander around bloomfield road in an inept 1-1 draw than win a title with players like Drogba, Lampard and Cole?

Also the 'Ashley understands the Geordie culture' shite proves to me that this lad is either on the wind up or not all there.

Your comment about not giving players more than 20k a week and telling them to fuck off if they ask for more, I'd agree you would get players that would play for the team but it would be championship standard dross like Best, Perch etc not Premiership standard players like Tiote, Collo or Enrique.

What the fuck is this Kielce clown doing on this forum?

I had the misfortune of visiting this town countless times during my time in Poland. An absolute dump halfway between Warsaw and Krakow in the ass-end of nowhere. Makes Redcar look positively regal. I think he's been drinking the local winiak (fortified 'wine') and stumbled upon a dial-up connection in some grotty backstreet internet cafe. He'll soon fuck off once his credit runs out.

Pizda.

I'm not a WUM.

I see that if people can't stand it if you have unusual philosophies.

And if people can't take light-hearted banter AFTER they've been thoroughly rude, then that's there lookout.

Moderators, ban me if you like, I don't see the point in writing on a forum, if you can't say what you think.

I'm not a WUM.

And if people can't take light-hearted banter AFTER they've been thoroughly rude, then that's there lookout.

Moderators, ban me if you like, I don't see the point in writing on a forum, if you can't say what you think.

Debil :D

I don't want oil sheikhs from countries with barbaric laws to own Newcastle, but I'll still support the team if they take over.

And knuckle-dragging comments just because people don't agree, aren't going to stop me from voicing my opinion.

I agree, much better to have the guy who makes his money by selling football jumpers and sneakers in large amounts made by 12 year old kids in Chinese Sweatshops who are paid 3 cents an hour.

I'm not a WUM.

Moderators, ban me if you like, I don't see the point in writing on a forum, if you can't say what

Bitch, stay off that blow.

Edited by citizenerased

In case there are still some people who aren't choking in bile...

I know that most people want their football clubs to spend big on players, so that the club shoots up the table, and / or wins trophies.

But my way of supporting my club (Newcastle) is this: divide achievement by money spent. For example, someone who, in a year, spends 5 million on fees/wages and gets into the Europa League is, in my way of looking at things, more successful than someone who spends 500 million on fees/wages and wins the Premier League.

And thinking about it, that's the way most people think, without realising it. Abramovicz bought Chelsea, but it only took a few years, before the Chelsea fans, just like the Man U fans, could only be made really happy, if they won the Champions League. When did any of you last see a Man U fan that you know, get really delighted when they won the league? Certainly, I've not seen a Man U fan be really happy about winning the league for many years. It's always just 'oh, great'.

Then I remember 2008-09, when Burnley got promoted. Their fans were so happy, it was utterly amazing. And in that same season, Fulham got into the Europa League. It was exactly the same with their fans. They were FAR happier than Man U fans who won the League, or Chelsea fans who won the Cup.

Even at the FA Cup Final 2008-09, it was hard to know whether it was Everton fans or Chelsea fans who had won. The EVerton fans, even after losing, were just happy that they'd got to the final.

This, I believe, is a new development in football. 20 years ago, when the financial differences between clubs was not so great, trophies were everything. Now that money has bought the trophies into the hands of your Chelseas and your Man Us and your Man City's, a lot of the happiness has left the trophies, and the happiness has been snapped up by the phenomenon called exceeding the expectations imposed by the restrictions of your outlay.

In short, success = happiness, and I saw more happiness among Burnley fans in 2008-09 than I saw among Man U fans in 2008-09. So money bought Man U and Chelsea trophies that season, but not happiness. And if success = happinses, and money can't buy happiness, then I can only conclude that... money cannot buy success in football and you are very welcome to quote me on that, without giving any context. I'll repeat it loud and clear, money cannot buy success in football quote me at your leisure.

Later, I will be looking through the sea of knuckle-dragging moronic abusive bile that inevitably will meet this posting, and see if there are any proper responses that address what I've said, whether it is in agreement or disagreement.

Edited by Nick-Kielce-Poland

Any true Manchester United fan that I've ever met is incredibly chuffed that they've won the league 'again' every time they win it, the only ones that don't care are the glory hunters.

Trophies are success it's not moronic or knuckle dragging to say that in fact it's ridiculous to suggest otherwise, Abramovic took a club that was in financial trouble and made them into what they are today how is that not success? In the majority of cases success in football is bought, you use Burnley as an example but they will have no doubt spent more on players + wages than the teams scrapping to avoid relegation into League one so they bought their way into the play-offs.

What about Manchester City so you think when/if they eventually win a title, their 1st since the late '60's their fans wont be happy?

Any true Manchester United fan that I've ever met is incredibly chuffed that they've won the league 'again' every time they win it, the only ones that don't care are the glory hunters.

Trophies are success it's not moronic or knuckle dragging to say that in fact it's ridiculous to suggest otherwise, Abramovic took a club that was in financial trouble and made them into what they are today how is that not success? In the majority of cases success in football is bought, you use Burnley as an example but they will have no doubt spent more on players + wages than the teams scrapping to avoid relegation into League one so they bought their way into the play-offs.

What about Manchester City so you think when/if they eventually win a title, their 1st since the late '60's their fans wont be happy?

Thank you for that well-thought out response.

I can only speak from my own experience, and my experience tells me that happiness cannot be bought. Whether we equate happiness with success is one thing. But certainly I don't see happiness being bought in football. I don't think Chelsea fans are happier now than they were before Abramovicz (they were at the beginning, but I think that happiness has worn off). And I certainly don't think league Champions Man U were anywhere near as happy as Fulham fans in 2008-09. And Fulham did in fact spend less more money.

Yes, Man City will be happy when/if they win the league. But only the first couple of times. After that, the same thing will happen as has happend with Chelsea fans, and only the Champions League will have the power to generate true deliria.

So I ask you, Barton7, don't you agree that money can't buy happiness in football? I'm not asking about success now, I'm asking about long-term happiness?

Edited by Nick-Kielce-Poland

Thank you for that well-thought out response.

I can only speak from my own experience, and my experience tells me that happiness cannot be bought. Whether we equate happiness with success is one thing. But certainly I don't see happiness being bought in football. I don't think Chelsea fans are happier now than they were before Abramovicz (they were at the beginning, but I think that happiness has worn off). And I certainly don't think league Champions Man U were anywhere near as happy as Fulham fans in 2008-09. And Fulham did in fact spend much more money.

Yes, Man City will be happy when/if they win the league. But only the first couple of times. After that, the same thing will happen as has happend with Chelsea fans, and only the Champions League will have the power to generate true deliria.

So I ask you, Barton7, don't you agree that money can't buy happiness in football? I'm not asking about success now, I'm asking about long-term happiness?

I believe it can, as like I said Manchester United fans that I've met are extremely happy every time they win the title, agreed probably not as happy as I would be if Newcastle won a title but that's simply because you become more accustomed to winning and even though you take it for granted (like many of us did under Robson etc) you're still very happy. You may be right that Fulham fans were happier that season (I don't personally know any Fulham fans) but that was one blip and Man Utd fans will be more consistently happy over the long term.

Comparing Chelsea and us is the best indicator I guess. When Abramovic took over we'd had a few seasons of being around the same level, they invested heavily and went on to challenge for silverware whereas we had a string of poor managerial appointments and then were bought by Ashley, I think it's fair to say that Chelsea fans have been a lot happier than our fans over this period. They may often take their position for granted but they wouldn't want to swap places with us.

Barton7, Chelsea fans won the FA Cup in 2008-09, and yet they spent all summer bemoaning the Champions League semi-final 'injustice' when the ref made some bad decisions, including a wrongful sending off of a Barcelona player. In other words, just 6 years after Abramovicz had taken over, an FA Cup win had become something totally banale to them.

And how you can say that Man U fans will generally be happier than Fulham fans, I simply do not know. I can only say that I strongly disgree with that.

Barton7, Chelsea fans won the FA Cup in 2008-09, and yet they spent all summer bemoaning the Champions League semi-final 'injustice' when the ref made some bad decisions, including a wrongful sending off of a Barcelona player. In other words, just 6 years after Abramovicz had taken over, an FA Cup win had become something totally banale to them.

And how you can say that Man U fans will generally be happier than Fulham fans, I simply do not know. I can only say that I strongly disgree with that.

I'd say they were canny happy with winning the FA cup, same as Manchester United fans were gutted when they were knocked out of it this year. The majority of people like a good moan, if their team wins 4-0 but one player has a shocker a lot of fans will go on about how bad that player was but it doesn't make them any less happy about winning 4-0. I think it's harsh on Chelsea fans to say they didn't care about winning the FA cup, it's just in this era of football the Champions league is the bigger prize so if they felt cheated it was nailed on to be a big talking point.

Fair enough that you disagree on that point but the one thing I liked about being in the Championship was winning most weeks and going into every game as strong favorites, Manchester United fans get that feeling in the Premiership so I just cannot see how fans of a perennial mid table team like Fulham can be happier than fans of one of the most successful clubs in World football.