2009-2011: A two-season triumph for the Toon

Irrelevant Nick KP

Barton7, I've enjoyed this season more than last season.

Please answer this question, who do you think will be more happy.

Birmingham fans winning the Carling Cup? Or Man U fans if they win the Champions League.

I ask that question because both those situations have something in common. They are the pinnacle of what it is possible for those two clubs to reach. Birmingham fans cannot realistically hope to do better than winning the Carling Cup, while Man U fans cannot hope to do better than winning the Champions League, so in some respects, this is the acid test to our discussion. Who would be happier?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man Utd and Chelsea have bought success, but money can't buy success? Have I got that right? :D

I've got to defend this presumption, plenty of other people appear to think you can be successful without spending money and have said so ? Have i got that right ?

:blush:

Barton7, I've enjoyed this season more than last season.

Please answer this question, who do you think will be more happy.

Birmingham fans winning the Carling Cup? Or Man U fans if they win the Champions League.

I ask that question because both those situations have something in common. They are the pinnacle of what it is possible for those two clubs to reach. Birmingham fans cannot realistically hope to do better than winning the Carling Cup, while Man U fans cannot hope to do better than winning the Champions League, so in some respects, this is the acid test to our discussion. Who would be happier?

For what it's worth I've enjoyed this season more than last as I don't like the Championship and hated the club being there, I was just meaning if I was a fan of a club that was as dominant over the Prem as we were over the Championship I'd be ecstatic.

In all honesty mate I think Manchester United fans would be happier as the Champions League is the pinnacle of European club football whereas the League cup is a minor trophy (I'd be over the moon if we wont it btw) and as Stoke have proven smaller clubs have just as much chance at the FA cup as they do with the League cup and the FA cup is a more meaningful trophy. All just my opinion rightly or wrongly.

Anyway I'm off to enjoy the weather, have a belta day whatever you lot do and Happy Easter.

Any true Manchester United fan that I've ever met is incredibly chuffed that they've won the league 'again' every time they win it, the only ones that don't care are the glory hunters.

Trophies are success it's not moronic or knuckle dragging to say that in fact it's ridiculous to suggest otherwise, Abramovic took a club that was in financial trouble and made them into what they are today how is that not success? In the majority of cases success in football is bought, you use Burnley as an example but they will have no doubt spent more on players + wages than the teams scrapping to avoid relegation into League one so they bought their way into the play-offs.

What about Manchester City so you think when/if they eventually win a title, their 1st since the late '60's their fans wont be happy?

Thank you for that well-thought out response.

I can only speak from my own experience, and my experience tells me that happiness cannot be bought. Whether we equate happiness with success is one thing. But certainly I don't see happiness being bought in football. I don't think Chelsea fans are happier now than they were before Abramovicz (they were at the beginning, but I think that happiness has worn off). And I certainly don't think league Champions Man U were anywhere near as happy as Fulham fans in 2008-09. And Fulham did in fact spend less more money.

Yes, Man City will be happy when/if they win the league. But only the first couple of times. After that, the same thing will happen as has happend with Chelsea fans, and only the Champions League will have the power to generate true deliria.

So I ask you, Barton7, don't you agree that money can't buy happiness in football? I'm not asking about success now, I'm asking about long-term happiness?

what a fuckin div.

Blatant WUM. I told you mate, go onto skunkers and Newcastle Online where you will find more like yourself.

Happy Easter to you too, Barton7 :D

I think Birmingham fans winning the Carling Cup made them happier than Man U fans will be if they win the Champions League, but as there is no such thing as a happiness thermometre, we'll just have to agree to differ. I've enjoyed this debate.

Up the Toon!

:blush:

Edited by Nick-Kielce-Poland

No, they've not bought success, they've bought trophies. I'll call it success, when I see some genuine happiness.

So you don't equate the most tangible measure of success with actual success then? Ok :D

No, they've not bought success, they've bought trophies. I'll call it success, when I see some genuine happiness.

So you don't equate the most tangible measure of success with actual success then? Ok :blush:

He's a strange one isnt he? :D

He does make a point of sorts though....some on here will have no doubt been at our 3 Wembley appearances in 3 years at the end of the 90s. I lost count of the amount of Arsenal, Manu and Chelsea fans wandering around London in failrly morose bunches acting as if was just another game. The worst were the Arsenal fans in 98. Theyd just won the double for fucks sakes. There was trouble on the tubes with some of our lot actually "bullying" gooners into actually acting as if the game and trophy had meant something to them. And as for this bollock-brained "won nothing for 5 years" crap.....what a bunch of fuckin wankers ;)

PaddockLad, that's exactly what I mean. Imagine wandering about morosely when your in a Cup Final. It's times like that I'm very glad I don't support Man U or Chelsea and would support any other team over them apart from Sunderland.

To be fair, PaddockLad, there are some Arsenal fans who are defending Wenger, and have come round to his philosophy, whereby whatever is achieved is much more honorable if it's achieved without speding too much money.

What annoys me is Chapman on the BBC yesterday, telling Wenger he should spend more money, and actually telling Arsenal fans they should stop taking pride in being excellent on a shoestring and demand Wenger spend what's available.

For goodness' sake, the BBC is our state channel, we are in a recession and this state paid journalist is telling Arsenal to increase the money they pay to players who earn tens of thousands a week.

this fucker is a fake. Obvious as fuck. His English is too good for starters, he's ignoring me :D deliberately - and in a few days has buried the ghost of skidmarks but is nowhere near as objectionable, he's just a WUM or stupid or both.

Ignore, or he'll ruin this place.

My definition of success is happiness. They are one and the same, in my view.

But that doesn't mean that my definition is any more valid than anyone else's.

In fact by your own admition your definition is completely meaningless.

As is the rest of your mindless drivel.

PaddockLad,PaddockLad, there are some Arsenal fans who are defending Wenger, and have come round to his philosophy, whereby whatever is achieved is much more honorable if it's achieved without speding too much money.

They're the worst of the lot iyam, the pious cunts.

luckyluke, you may think so. In my opinion, they are just proud of having a club that can be respected.

I don't have any more respect for Man City than I have for Watford. Why on earth should I? Anyone can get a good team if they've got zillions.

But I have huge respect for Arsenal, as a non-fan.

Edited by Nick-Kielce-Poland

this fucker is a fake. Obvious as fuck. His English is too good for starters, he's ignoring me :D deliberately - and in a few days has buried the ghost of skidmarks but is nowhere near as objectionable, he's just a WUM or stupid or both.

Of course he is, a blatant WUM. "Up the Toon" for fuck's sake :blush:

Which seasons of 95/96/97 was better than last season? And how come struggling to make it into the top half is better than any of those two seasons? Bizarre comparison.

Shrewd in the transfer market? Lucky you mean.

No, I don't mean lucky at all.

1... We seem to have a policy of never holding on to any player who wants to leave. (I agree with that policy)

2... Never kow-towing to players who want to have their already ridiculously high wages raised.

3... Finding out which relatively unknown players are also very good, and buying them for cheaper sums. (Leon Best).

In 1995-97 we finished 2nd twice, and we were in the top 3, when it comes to investing in players.

Now, we are higher up in the league than plenty of clubs who have spent far more money than we have, eg. Sunderland and Villa.

I've got some magic beans if you're interesed in selling your last cow.

citizenread, don't make things up. There was nothing in that BBC documentary about children working in that wholesale supplier which Ashley deploys.

Are you trying to tell me that Sportsdirect stores don't stock gear from the likes of Nike, Adidas (who Mike Ashley owns 3% of), Puma (who currently produce Newcastle's shirts) and Reebok?

This kids, is why you shouldn't do drugs. You might end up posting shit on the internet like this guy.

So you were more happier losing to Blackpool then beating Man Utd 5-0?

Edited by citizenerased

If you mean you'd rather be happy than successful, then fair enough. But the two are different things even if they do often come hand in hand. I do sort of see what you're getting at. However, despite the anguish that came with it at times, my happiest time supporting the club has been when we've been (relatively) successful and have come close to winning things. Winning the championship was a good laugh etc. but it was fucking wank compared to coming in the top four, getting to cup finals, playing in Europe and so on. It was a bit like beating the kids in the year below you at school in a practice match. I understand there is a complacency that comes with a lot of success but if you think Man Utd are less happy than when they were also rans or that Arsenal fans are happier than when they were winning things then you're out of your tiny mind.

Edited by alex

If you mean you'd rather be happy than successful, then fair enough. But the two are different things even if they do often come hand in hand. I do sort of see what you're getting at. However, despite the anguish that came with it at times, my happiest time supporting the club has been when we've been (relatively) successful and have come close to winning things. Winning the championship was a good laugh etc. but it was fucking wank compared to coming in the top four, getting to cup finals, playing in Europe and so on. It was a bit like beating the kids in the year below you at school in a practice match. I understand there is a complacency that comes with a lot of success but if you think Man Utd are less happy than when they were also rans or that Arsenal fans are happier than when they were winning things then you're out of your tiny mind.

I think Man U fans are no less, and no more happy than when they were, in your words, also-rans.

I think Arsenal fans were happier when they won league trophies, but then again, they never spent massive bucks, and what's more, they weren't as happy with the league titles as Coventry fans were with their 1987 Cup triumph. Nowhere NEAR, in fact.