Talksport interview with Freddie Shepherd

LeazesMag

interesting. No doubt some people will stick to their myths and agendas, insisting he still ran the club all on his own because it suits them to believe that when such a thing is impossible, as he only owned less than 30% of the shares.

Also interesting is the approach to Alex Ferguson in 1997, which I knew about because of someone I know who told me, and I may have told one or two people on here as through time it wasn't so clouded in secrecy as it was at the time.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/foo...eegan-departure

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair point - he ran it on behalf of the Hall/Shepherd combo because Sir Johns lad was well beyond incompetent. However the fact he split the spoils with the Halls doesn't make him any less responsible for all the dumb decisions he made over the years.

Fair point - he ran it on behalf of the Hall/Shepherd combo because Sir Johns lad was well beyond incompetent. However the fact he split the spoils with the Halls doesn't make him any less responsible for all the dumb decisions he made over the years.

:lol:

Did you have your cock in hand as you heard his dulcet tones Leazesmag?

how immature.

When do you think we will qualify for the Champions League, or even europe, again ?

Will such an achievement motivate you to go to games ?

I see you are now agreeing with everything I said about Ashley, at last.

One day you will also realise the Halls and Shepherd were better than you think.

Edit.

As for the interview, I think its very good and very fair, but obviously won't be so for people like Gloomy and others with their pre-judged heads up their arse.

Edited by LeazesMag

Ah this topic.. :lol:

If your man Mike appreciated the value of PR, I'd listen to that too.

Oh, Public Relations, a lot of people wanted the club to "not conduct PR", so they have what they wanted including "anybody but Fred". Aren't things going just greeeeaaaat..

“I hadn’t even heard of the guy (Mourinho) when Bobby wanted to bring him in 2001. Who knows what would have happened if. I didn’t know the guy at the time and Bobby already had an assistant plus he didn’t speak Geordie!”

LeazesMag, Shepherd did indeed run Newcastle on his own, from 1997 when John Hall decided to be a sleeping shareholder, and simply play golf.

Fortunately, in 2007 John Hall realised what a mistake he had made letting Shepherd run the club, so he sold it to Mike Ashley, which spelt Shepherd's ignominious exit from power.

Edited by Nick-Kielce-Poland

you're the first poster I've ever put on my ignore list because you're a stupid cunt, and thats saying something looking at some others over the years.

“I hadn’t even heard of the guy (Mourinho) when Bobby wanted to bring him in 2001. Who knows what would have happened if. I didn’t know the guy at the time and Bobby already had an assistant plus he didn’t speak Geordie!”

aye, bad decision, but a sense of humour ? At least he admits it, what a shame Mike Ashley hasn't got one.

These things happen. It only shows how luck plays a part, if Alex Ferguson hadn't agreed the contract with ManU, he would have been appointed instead of Dalglish [who also had as good a record as Ferguson at that time]. If you read Alex Fergusons book, he says he had 3 possible clubs to go to at that time, when he wasn't happy with ManU's new contract offer, 2 were foreign, the other was a major premiership club. As I said, I have known for years that that club was NUFC but it was obviously not to be put across internet message boards !!!!!

Ah this topic.. :lol:

If your man Mike appreciated the value of PR, I'd listen to that too.

Oh, Public Relations, a lot of people wanted the club to "not conduct PR", so they have what they wanted including "anybody but Fred". Aren't things going just greeeeaaaat..

My man?

Actually, forget it, I will answer for you..

'Well a lot of other people wanted anyone but Shepherd etc etc...."

aye, bad decision, but a sense of humour ? At least he admits it, what a shame Mike Ashley hasn't got one.

These things happen. It only shows how luck plays a part, if Alex Ferguson hadn't agreed the contract with ManU, he would have been appointed instead of Dalglish [who also had as good a record as Ferguson at that time]. If you read Alex Fergusons book, he says he had 3 possible clubs to go to at that time, when he wasn't happy with ManU's new contract offer, 2 were foreign, the other was a major premiership club. As I said, I have known for years that that club was NUFC but it was obviously not to be put across internet message boards !!!!!

Of course you did :lol:

The sort of joke onepunch finds hilarious and gets short shrift for on here.

They might have won the same number of titles, but I was never a fan of Dalglish and didn't want him here. I would have been amazed if Fergie came though. About as much chance of that as we had of signing Rooney imo.

All credit to them for having a go both times though. As someone mentioned before, if Mourinho started singing our praises now and begged to come (suspending disbelief), Ashley wouldn't have him, they don't want anyone who'll demand ambition in the transfer market.

Shepherd on Owen: He was my worst investment (never mind that he was the worst investment by any chairman ever).

Shepherd then spent about 3 minutes emphasising how all the Newcastle fans were absolutely delighted at the signing of Owen, (so they couldn't blame Shepherd).

Offering Owen that kind of money was absolutely stupd. Especially as it turns out that the club couldn't really afford it. Also, Shearer was paid way too much, especially in that new contract he signed in 2004. Shepherd was abysmal as an economist, and no wonder we were in such financial trouble when Ashley came.

Claims bordering on the JFK scale quite possibly. I bet it's news to Ferguson too.

With all due respect LM, I don't know why they keep interviewing him. He's nothing new to add that's of any substance and every time he does speak a 'ground-breaking revelation' (:lol:) comes to light.

Talksport obviously on a slow news day too.

Aye we had great european nights and challenged for the league under FFA and SJH but if they had stayed we would of went into administration. They are the sole reason the club was is such a state. Mike Ashley for all his wrongs actually saved us from that and now we are looking at becoming a financially stable club and building back up what we once had.

I fuckin hate LM crack.....tireless shit. Absolute tireless shit.

Aye we had great european nights and challenged for the league under FFA and SJH but if they had stayed we would of went into administration.

Unsubstantiated pish!

They are the sole reason the club was is such a state.

Aye, 15 years of consecutive top flight football was a right state. :lol:

Mike Ashley for all his wrongs actually saved us from that and now we are looking at becoming a financially stable club and building back up what we once had.

Mike Ashley bought a business without undertaking due dilligence (akin to buying a house without having a survey done, but worse!) and then had to finance his investment in order to protect it. His lapdogs have since spun the PR on this and claim he's splashed cash left, right and centre to save our club and we should be forever grateful. Bollocks - the fact that this club has such a loyal fanbase, despite the absolute shite they've been subjected to over the past 4 years is what's primarily kept our heads about the surface financially.

I fuckin hate LM crack.....tireless shit. Absolute tireless shit.

Tiresome surely ? :lol:

Agreed if that's what you do mean. But it's no less tiresome than that shit peddled about 'Mike the Saviour'. We're in no better position than we were 5 years ago, despite what Dekka says. Truth is we're probably in no worse a state either but I would add that all their successes have simply been the means to undo their own wrongdoings so ultimately they're not successes at all.

But it's no less tiresome than that shit peddled about 'Mike the Saviour'. We're in no better position than we were 5 years ago, despite what Dekka says. Truth is we're probably in no worse a state either but I would add that all their successes have simply been the means to undo their own wrongdoings so ultimately they're not successes at all.

Couldn't agree more Craig. I don't think we've progressed under Ashley at all in 5 years of ownership. Most of the money put in has been to buy the club and the remainer has been to protect that investment. None of it has been out of the goodness of his heart.

Having said that, if we reinvest the Carroll money well and kick on from here, we might finally progress where it matters, on the football field. We'll see.

Craig...we had borrowed as much as we could, FMA and SJH had gambled by not spending one year and hoping to still get into the CL...it backfired. We had no other source for credit, no other means to finance and had FMA not be a stupid fucker and took the club off their hands without due diligence we would of went into administration. Of course we would of.

Il say it again, for all i hate the fact we went down, its a black mark on our record, it was the best thing that could of happened to the club in the sense it reset the balance. Re-calibrated expectations, dropped a mahoosive wage bill and got rid of MOST of the cocks who were pickin up huge wages and doing fuck all.

If we are to be breaking even this season and we have a good summer and a good season next year. We will infact be in a much MUCH better situation.

Just my opinion like.

Craig...we had borrowed as much as we could, FMA and SJH had gambled by not spending one year and hoping to still get into the CL...it backfired. We had no other source for credit, no other means to finance and had FMA not be a stupid fucker and took the club off their hands without due diligence we would of went into administration. Of course we would of.

Il say it again, for all i hate the fact we went down, its a black mark on our record, it was the best thing that could of happened to the club in the sense it reset the balance. Re-calibrated expectations, dropped a mahoosive wage bill and got rid of MOST of the cocks who were pickin up huge wages and doing fuck all.

If we are to be breaking even this season and we have a good summer and a good season next year. We will infact be in a much MUCH better situation.

Just my opinion like.

The only thing I agree with there is that it was good to get rid of some of the overpaid wasters. In particular there's no way of knowing whether we would've gone into administration without Ashley, or indeed whether there was anybody else to sell the club to.

Just my opinion like.

Your opinion ignores the hundreds of millions of debt the club has to ashley, which spiralled following relegation.. Relegation didn't wipe the slate clean one bit. it hastened our financial decline. We're still a loss making club propped up on borrowed funds and technically insolvent.

Edited by Happy Face

Just my opinion like.

Of course when you havent got much money spare getting relegated is the ideal answer, drop your income. Its like saying that when you're a bit skint losing your house is the best thing that could happen because it allowed you to throw out some junk.

Defies belief it really does.