Scotland - should we dump it or not

Rob W

Ahhh - the "Iceland of the British Isles"; another Celtic Tiger............

We had to bail you out before and no doubt we'll have to do it again

Sadly stereotypical and misinformed view

... those ars*holes in London take the oil from our waters and give us a wee patronising backhander - it's akin to getting stabbed in the back, mugged, £200 quid lifted out yer wallet and the bassas throw a tenner back at you for a taxi to the hospital - we're bowled over by your generosity :lol:

Of course the expertise and finance to discover and exploit the oil was all Scottish.....

That's a bit of a daft point. The Saudi's were little more than nomads living in tents but still managed to capitalise on their oil. The other main benefactor of North Sea oil is Norway; were they somehow more advanced than the primitive Scotttish? Its often said for it's size Scotland is the most inventive country on the planet, and it's hard to disagree really.

List of Scottish inventions.

I know but I think its not a bad reply to the implication that ALL of the revenues are or should be by default Scottish.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhh - the "Iceland of the British Isles"; another Celtic Tiger............

We had to bail you out before and no doubt we'll have to do it again

Sadly stereotypical and misinformed view

... those ars*holes in London take the oil from our waters and give us a wee patronising backhander - it's akin to getting stabbed in the back, mugged, £200 quid lifted out yer wallet and the bassas throw a tenner back at you for a taxi to the hospital - we're bowled over by your generosity :lol:

Of course the expertise and finance to discover and exploit the oil was all Scottish.....

That's a bit of a daft point. The Saudi's were little more than nomads living in tents but still managed to capitalise on their oil. The other main benefactor of North Sea oil is Norway; were they somehow more advanced than the primitive Scotttish? Its often said for it's size Scotland is the most inventive country on the planet, and it's hard to disagree really.

List of Scottish inventions.

I know but I think its not a bad reply to the implication that ALL of the revenues are or should be by default Scottish.

the oil lies in part within scottish territorial waters therefore a scottish resource robbed by the colonisers - there's currently a small scottish oil exploration company called cairn energy who've found some of the black shit in india and are trying to punt a 50% share of the cairn energy indian arm for $8.5billion to the state oil company so although I do agree with NJS comment about the expertise and finance there's usually fkin squillions of money for both sides in any agreement and with new exploration moving north and west there's plenty more under there to go straight to the treasury to be pissed up against the wall .

i would disagree however with Renton on how hard it is to disagree with Scots' inventiveness - TV was first discovered by Zworykin's canoscope and not Baird, Bell nicked the idea for a phone from some bloke in the USA while visiting of a convention type trip while Fleming found Penicillin (a fkin mould basically) but didn't have a clue what to do with it -it was 2 english blokes who developed it further

Most of the oil is in Scottish waters and most of he gas in English one's

The Scots did bugger all about getting it out mind and apart from house prices in Aberdeen have shown little interest - there have been very few "Scottish" oil companies - Cairn, Dana, Melrose - and 2 of those have most of their resources outside Europe

bet I pay £20 a year from my taxes to keep Merseyside going. It's a desolate wasteland

What a load of bullshit

Merseyside has 2 two of the British open golf courses. Royal Birkdale and Hoylake. England only has 4 for fuck sake and two are in Merseyside. Look it up on wikileaks. North East has fuck all.

Meresyside has a two racecourses only the North East can dream about Aintree and Haydock

Merseysides two football teams are the most successfull in England (Liverpool 18 champions of England, Everton 9 times)

Merseyside produces more tourists than the whole of the North East with places like the Cavern and the albert dock.

Merseyside has got a concert hall only the North East can dream about (Liverpool Echo arena)

So shut the fuck up Newcastle and Sunderland are fucking shitholes for fuck sake. A fucking clog in the economy. If you cunts want to work abroad you need speaking leassons for fuck sake.

Wrong on the tourism numbers, the North East has far more.

http://www.merseyside.org.uk/dbimgs/Digest...July%202009.pdf

http://www.tourismnortheast.co.uk/site/res...-and-statistics

Wrong on the concert hall too, the Liverpool arena is just like the Newcastle Arena. As already pointed out the Norman Foster designed Sage and Theatre Royal piss all over the modern 'arena' halls.

Funny to use Golf as an example since you reckon Newcastle is in Scotland, the home of Golf. You thick scouse scumbag.

Sweetly clamped.

Fucking silly twat North East is like saying North West which includes Manchester. I'm talking about Liverpool FFS. Which has far more tourists than Ant and Dec lovers for fuck sake.

Edited by Dafydd

That's not really true. In terms of how much Scotland raises in taxes compared to the block grant you get, it's more like having £200 taken and getting about £180 back.

Fucking silly twat North East is like saying North West which includes Manchester. I'm talking about Liverpool FFS. Which has far more tourists than Ant and Dec lovers for fuck sake.

You might want to think back...

Merseyside produces more tourists than the whole of the North East with places like the Cavern and the albert dock.